Confirmed with Link: [PHX/WSH] Erat & JMitchell for Klesla, Brown & 4th '15

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
is klesla really that bad? i thought phoenix was just stacked at defense.

The Consiglieri

Feb 19, 2007
Klesla is not the solution on D.

Erat being gone just puts the icing on a historically bad deal.

A year later I can't believe that trade actually happened. Just about the worst trade the Caps have made in the past decade or more, and one of the worst I've seen since I became a fan of the team nearly thirty years ago. Just horrible.

What possible justification at the time? None, though a few here defended it.

And now, a year later, it looks 10x as bad. Just moronic.

So tired of DC teams being run and owned by complete grand mal dumb----'-.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Attaboy George.

And he kept the good Mitchell, too.

Maybe he is drinking today :dunno:

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
The Forsberg trade is water under the bridge. It happened. It sucked. We all knew it sucked at the time. It still stings. But it's over. Judging today's deal in present day value given present day options, we got way more for Erat than I expected. We basically got Penner, Chris Brown, and Klelsa for Erat (yes, I know the 4th we gave ANA is a 2014 while the 4th we acquired from PHX is a 2015, work with me).

I'm excited for Brown. Haven't had a Michigan alum prospect in a long time. Matt Herr maybe? Anyway, Brown is a big physical kid. Not really a great top 6 candidate. More in line with the Chimmer/Ward type of 3rd liner. But he's solid, gritty, and can score goals.

Klelsa...well, he's got ok fancy stat numbers and he's a LD, which we need. Could be worse. But hopefully there's more to come.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
I tend to think Klesla was for salary balance, and Mitchell was involved for contract numbers. In my view, it's more Erat for Chris Brown and a 4th.

Love to see Klesla regain his form, but I don't think it's going to happen, and he's gone in the off-season.

Last edited:

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
If Klesla isn't going to play, then we still need a D-Man and a goalie

Nuevy for Halak

Top 4 D-man, don't know who

Penner-Backstrom-Ovi
KGB
Chimmer-Laich-Ward
Mojo-Fehr-Wilson

Carlson-Alzner
???-Green
Hillen-????

Halak
Holtby

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He's probably an upgrade over Erskine, Hillen or Carrick. Why not play him?
Salary cap.

I tend to think Klesla was for salary balance, and Mitchell was involved for contract numbers. In my view, it's more Erat for Chris Brown and a 4th.

Love to see Klesla regain his form, but I don't think it's going to happen, and he's gone in the off-season.
Pretty much this.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Brian McNally ‏@bmcnally14
Martin Erat to Phoenix reporters: "It's all about how the coaching staff trusts you. If you get the time on the ice, I get my confidence..."

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd like to see Klesla a least get a shot. Maybe he doesn't have a ton left but Erskine & Hillen aren't veteran D leaders. They need that type of presence and maybe Klesla can be that.

Then again, considering that the Hershey duo of Schmidt-Oleksy is likely better than Erskine-Carrick I don't have a whole lot of faith in reasonable D roster decisions anyway. Even if Klesla factors into their D plans eventually, the quality of their D depth remains a big issue.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Brian McNally ‏@bmcnally14
Martin Erat to Phoenix reporters: "It's all about how the coaching staff trusts you. If you get the time on the ice, I get my confidence..."

He got time here, he didn't produce like he was supposed to while having it. While he may not have had a set line, he was getting big minutes and kept *****ing.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
He got time here, he didn't produce like he was supposed to while having it. While he may not have had a set line, he was getting big minutes and kept *****ing.

Someone who has the stomach to have paid more attention this year can correct me if I'm wrong, but Erat started off with almost no icetime. He didn't get it until he started complaining and injuries hit.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Someone who has the stomach to have paid more attention this year can correct me if I'm wrong, but Erat started off with almost no icetime. He didn't get it until he started complaining and injuries hit.

He started on the 4th when the season started and didn't get much, but was bumped up a few times and didn't show anything.

Recently he's been getting solid/good minutes and has still complained. He made his mind up when they "insulted" him by playing him on the 4th line at the beginning and that was that for him. Regardless, he hadn't done anything to warrant higher playing time at that point even if we wanted him there.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Is it wrong that I'm imagining scenarios where he goes to Phoenix and gets benched again?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I agree with this. I think it would take a run of injuries or the Caps really being impressed by him in Hershey to get time in the NHL at this point.

To me this was about clearing the salary, hopefully to bring in a piece or 2 in a large deal tonight/tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->