San Jose- Carl Soderberg
Ottawa- Lukas Kaspar
Toronto- Boris Valabik
Colorado- Andrej Meszaros
Boston- David Bolland
Philadelphia- Adam Pineault
Tampa Bay- Julien Ellis
Detroit- Petr Pohl

Fire away, please. And if you can do better, by all means, go right ahead.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
PhoPhan said:
I'll join the trend:

Pittsburgh Penguins- Alexander Ovechkin
Washington Capitals- Evgeni Malkin
Columbus Blue Jackets- Cam Barker
Chicago Blackhawks- Rostislav Olesz
Phoenix Coyotes- Wojtech Wolski
New York Rangers- Lauri Tukonen
Carolina Hurricanes- Robbie Shremp
Atlanta- Evan McGrath
Anaheim- Alexandre Picard
Florida- Kyle Chipchura
Minnesota- Wes O'Neill
Buffalo- Mike Green
Edmonton- Marek Schwarz
New York Islanders- Drew Stafford
Los Angeles- Devan Dubnyk
Nashville- Ladislav Smid
St. Louis- Alvaro Montoya
Calgary- Andrew Ladd
Dallas- Enver Lisin
New Jersey- Johannes Salomonsson
Montreal- Alexander Radulov
Vancouver- Sami Lepisto
San Jose- Carl Soderberg
Ottawa- Lukas Kaspar
Toronto- Boris Valabik
Boston- David Bolland
Tampa Bay- Julien Ellis
Detroit- Petr Pohl

I'll be VERY suprised if Schremp is available and the rangers pass, they lack a #1 center and Schremps attitude would fit NYC very well and vise versa. They have Umberger as a 2nd line and Holik as a checking, getting Schremp could and would do wonders for this team, something Tukonen couldn't do

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
PhoPhan said:
I'll join the trend:

Atlanta- Evan McGrath
Florida- Kyle Chipchura
Minnesota- Wes O'Neill
Buffalo- Mike Green
Edmonton- Marek Schwarz
Nashville- Ladislav Smid
Calgary- Andrew Ladd
Dallas- Enver Lisin
Vancouver- Sami Lepisto
San Jose- Carl Soderberg
Ottawa- Lukas Kaspar
Toronto- Boris Valabik
Boston- David Bolland
Tampa Bay- Julien Ellis
Detroit- Petr Pohl

While I like Al Montoya a great deal, and would expect him to be a first-round pick, I really can't see the Blues spending their first-rounder on a goalie when they already have Curtis Sanford, Tuomas Nissinen, and Konstantin Barulin in the system.

Montoya will be at UM for the next three years, so he's not any closer to the NHL than Nissinen or Barulin, and Sanford already has had a cup of coffee in the NHL, and done fairly well in that brief trial (5-1-0, 1.96 GAA, .912 save percentage).

Think forwards.

I'd expect the Jarmo Kekalainen influence to send the Blues to Europe looking for a scoring forward with decent size. That means (and this is the order in which I'd take them) Kaspar, Radulov, Soderberg or Salmonsson.

If Andrew Ladd is available when the Blues pick, I don't see any way they wouldn't go for him, especially considering that their system is short of LW prospects with NHL scoring potential beyond Peter Sejna.

I'd love to see Picard or Tukkonen fall to the Blues, but I doubt that will happen.

The Blues may well go for a goalie in the second round, and I'm sure Montoya will be long gone by then, but I'm targeting Martin Houle (Cape Breton, QMJHL) for their second-round pick.

All in all, not a bad list, but I just feel like the Blues' needs are better served by going with a forward. They haven't drafted an impact forward in ages, and the last one they picked is now skating for Phoenix (Nagy).

PrussianBlue

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Nobody ever wants their team to draft a goalie in the first round unless he's called Fleury or Luongo. I think St.Louis and Montoya could be a pretty good match. St.Louis has lots of depth but not a lot of quality in goaltending prospects especially compared to most other teams. They must be getting pretty frustrated at their inability to draft or trade for a franchise goalie.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Stevex said:
Nobody ever wants their team to draft a goalie in the first round unless he's called Fleury or Luongo. I think St.Louis and Montoya could be a pretty good match. St.Louis has lots of depth but not a lot of quality in goaltending prospects especially compared to most other teams. They must be getting pretty frustrated at their inability to draft or trade for a franchise goalie.

Ya gotta say though that if people need goaltending Schwarz and Montoya would go in the top 10, but Only St.Louis,Edmonton and Minnisota really need a prospect

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
PhoPhan said:
I'll join the trend:

Atlanta- Evan McGrath
Florida- Kyle Chipchura
Minnesota- Wes O'Neill
Buffalo- Mike Green
Edmonton- Marek Schwarz
Nashville- Ladislav Smid
Calgary- Andrew Ladd
Dallas- Enver Lisin
Vancouver- Sami Lepisto
San Jose- Carl Soderberg
Ottawa- Lukas Kaspar
Toronto- Boris Valabik
Boston- David Bolland
Tampa Bay- Julien Ellis
Detroit- Petr Pohl

the Flyers don't have a first round pick this year. it belongs to Edmonton.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
FlyersGuy69 said:
the Flyers don't have a first round pick this year. it belongs to Edmonton.

Rookie mistake, I completely forgot to account for traded picks.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Carolina will almost certainly go for one of the following players based on their draft position:

Cam Barker
Mike Green
Wes O'Neill
Andy Taylor

We have zero defensive prospects that project to first pairing defenseman. It's almost a no brainer for us, in my opinion. If they select Taylor, they will certainly be trading down to do it. I feel that Rutherford likes to take chances on physically gifted young defensemen and Taylor fits that bill. He has done it with David Tanabe, who was slated to go lower. He has done it with Nikos Tselios, who was expected to go lower. He has done it with Danny Richmond, who was expected to go lower. And it's possible that he'd do it again for Taylor. He's 6'5 and is a very gifted skater who in the recent skills competition popped a 96.8 MPH slapshot.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
PhoPhan said:
Atlanta- Evan McGrath

Overall good job PhoPhan, especially your top 6. I'll just add that McGrath is falling in the rankings and for good reason, he has gone laterally this year after having a good rookie season. I doubt he'll go top 15 and I can't see a team taking McGrath ahead of Bolland.

Also I like Meszaros to go a little lower in the first and I'd have Sindel off the board by the end of the 1st round...

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
rnyquist said:
Ya gotta say though that if people need goaltending Schwarz and Montoya would go in the top 10, but Only St.Louis,Edmonton and Minnisota really need a prospect

St. Louis has three good goaltending prospects already, including one that's 5-1-0 with a 1.96 GAA and a .912 save percentage in a brief NHL career to date.

Not necessarily saying I'd pass up Montoya if he was available when the Blues pick (which he probably won't be anyway), but I am saying this:

1). The Blues already have goaltending prospects...

2). The Blues can get another good goaltending prospect in the second or third round...

3) The Blues are more in need of a blue-chip scoring prospect in their system now.

PrussianBlue

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
The Ducks will select more likely a d-man, Thelen, Green or O'Neill. I am a bit surprised I don't see Thelen in your mock draft, guess you forgot him. Mcgrath is higher than expected, but overall a good job anyway.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Fighter said:
The Ducks will select more likely a d-man, Thelen, Green or O'Neill. I am a bit surprised I don't see Thelen in your mock draft, guess you forgot him. Mcgrath is higher than expected, but overall a good job anyway.

I actually had Thelen going to Buffalo, than took him out in favor of Green and never put him back again. I'm going to have to make another one of these closer to draft day.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Nice one pho but....

The kings will take the best goalie available when they draft 13=15th. *as long as Montoya or Shwarz are there. They will pick before the Oilers as it seems at this point.

So, I would change their pick to Schwarz if he is there and if not, lock them up for Montoya. They are so full of talented (top 1 2 3 types) defencive prospects that they won't take one in the first unless he is simply too good to pass on.

They won't take another project center or winger as they have many who are right now NHL ready or very close to it with Frolov/Camelleri/Kanko/Hogeboom/Steckel/Barney/Clarke all ready to work with the team this coming season and more for the next as well.

They have Choinard and Munce in net (as well as Zaba and Marsters) but, other than Choinard who has looked pretty good in the couple of moments he spent up with the Kings this year, will be another two years off at best and none of which are locks to be a bonifide number one type.

They need a franchise type goalie in the system and, I would reckon that they will either pick one up via trade (very possible as they are looking to move Miller/Belanger and possibly Straka and these guys are relatively cheap and still very productive) or by drafting a true number one type.

I see Shwartz and Montoya (although I don't which I would rather have truly) as being drafted by the Kings as either would fill a team need as well as be likely the best player available at their position when they pick, arguably.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
rnyquist said:

Of those teams mentioned, none of them need one as bad as Los Angeles does and they will pick before all of them except Minny. Schwartz or Montoya will be gone if they are still there when LA picks.

Unless of course DT can work out the magic Mad Mike deal of the century (until next year when Crosby is drafted) and can nab Ovechkin from whoever gets him.

That first round pick could make a team a contender in a very short time.

I see a similar situation in the Lindross sweepstakes with Ove. It will take a boat load to pry him away and IF it is possible to be done, it will turn the Pens or whoever into a very competitive team right away.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
punchy1 said:
I see a similar situation in the Lindross sweepstakes with Ove. It will take a boat load to pry him away and IF it is possible to be done, it will turn the Pens or whoever into a very competitive team right away.

What people forget about the Lindros deal is that Quebec was forced to trade him, not by the offer, but by Lindros himself.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Mack said:
I bet Cam Barker slips past 5.

past 5??
With Washington, Columbus, Chicago, Pitts all needing defence he could easily go #2, BUT if he makes it out of the top 5 rangers will draft him no doubt.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
One thing to keep in mind is the possibility of a work stoppage in the NHL. If most teams feel as if that will happen, there could be an inordinate number of European and College players selected, as their development is assured in their respective leagues, and there is no rush to sign them. That could cause guys like David Booth to sneak into the 1st round.

thestonedkoala

Good pick for the Wild.

Wild don't need a goaltender till next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad