Phoenix turns second blockbuster deal in GM's tenure..

Default101

Phoenix (AP) -- It was only a matter of time before star centerman Rod Brind'Amour was delt, and today it has been announced that he has been moved; to the St. Louis Blues. This deal is probably one of the bigger ones that have occured over the past 12 months in this league, not only because of skill but because of the size, 5 players, 4 prospects, 2 draft picks and a million dollars were moved in this deal, the details are as follows...

TO PHOENIX
Craig Conroy
Scott Walker
David LeNeveu
Brendan Mikkelson
Colin McDonald
2007 4th Round Pick (STL)
$1M Cash

TO ST. LOUIS
Rod Brind'Amour
Brian Sutherby
Al Montoya
Logan Stephenson
2007 2nd Round Pick (PHX)

Phoenix GM Ryan Yessie has thus far gotten mixed reviews and had alot of explaining to do as to his train of thought when pulling a franchise shifting deal like this. "We have had alot of value placed in Rod, we think he's a great player who's talents would go unnoticed on a team like the one we have at the moment, and he is worth more to the big picture of this franchise in trade than he is on the ice, he understands that and we hope he gets a shot at a cup in St. Louis."
"Al Montoya is someone ive been following game by game in the minors and have been very impressed, unfortunately with him being a few years away, i think hes going to be an incredable goalie at this level someday, and with LeNeveu there are mixed opinions from people but i havent given up on his potential i still believe he has the potential to be a top goaltender and am very happy to have him as a part of this organization."
"Craig Conroy has had his ups and downs but i think he will supply alot of offense for this team, and help us become a better team, Conroy however is aware that being in this situation may mean he could be delt at anytime, but that we would only make the deal if it was right for him, and the Phoenix Coyotes franchise, the same could somewhat be said about Walker, but i believe he has a definate potential long-term home in Phoenix he is under an extended contract that wont be that hard to manage, and it gives us our first real power on the wing, he will play on the right side beside Craig Conroy and with Mark Smith on left wing, we feel Mark has been our best player outside Brindy this season and will need him to carry alittle more load with this deal, this will take some of the pressure off Trevor Letowski as he is not used to playing under these circumstances and maybe we have expected alittle too much from him, so he will be moved to the second line, and thats all we have finalized right now, our line-up will need some major tweeking after this sort of deal."

"Finally as far as prospects go i believe Mikkelson has the potental to be a #2 defenceman at the top level, and believe Colin McDonald has the tools to make a quick transition out of college. The Phoenix Coyotes are gearing their franchise for the 2008-2009 season and are going to do what needs to be done to put the team in playoff position for that season this was a tough deal to make, but i dont believe we lost too much and i believe we gained some decent players and prospects, there are sure to be more deals int he future for this franchise."

HFNHL Red Wings

Nick, isn't there some rule about the number of deals involving Rod Brind'Amour you can do with various Phoenix GM's? If not there should be. :punk:
Isn't this the third?

HFNHL Red Wings

Ah ok. I thought Nick had acquired him from Phoenix and then later traded him back to Phoenix in the Khabibulin deal.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Ah ok. I thought Nick had acquired him from Phoenix and then later traded him back to Phoenix in the Khabibulin deal.

No, I actually traded Brind'Amour to Phoenix a while back along with Mike Dunham, for Paul Kariya and The 'Bulin wall, but that was his one and only tour through St. Louis.

Glad to welcome him back, especially given his renaissance of late!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad