Phoenix CXXXIII: Colonel Shuffle's Last 'Ownership' Hill To Die On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
My apologies....I'm checking in again for my 6-12 month update on this saga.

Is the team staying in Glendale now? I remember Bettman saying it can't and won't.....so.....

Still in Glendale...on a one year lease renewal for the 2018/19 season...
where are they going?

According to Bettman/Barroway...they want to be somewhere in the East Valley...
Any construction plans?

You can't be serious... :sarcasm:
Who owns this team now anyway?

According to most...Barroway...but heavily leveraged...
And how much are they making/losing every year?

Estimates vary...but most put it (losses) in the tens of millions per year...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffrey93

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Although HB2478 applied to Pima County (where the Tucson Roadrunners play)...
it could also be telling of Gov. Ducey -- who vetoed it --
should any such 'sports district' bill...
be introduced for a Coyotes new 'sports district/arena'...

HB2478 link: legiscan.com/AZ/text/HB2478/2018
Gov. Ducey veto letter (PDF) attached

Attachments

• HB2478-Veto-by-Ducey.pdf
    276.8 KB · Views: 4

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
With the comments by Mr Jacobs today. there is no doubt in my mind that the Coyotes will be in Houston very soon. as early as 2019/2020

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Time to face the truth.... the coyotes are due

Mr Jacobs wants a team in Houston the owner there will not pay $650 so how else is it going to happen

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I’m always amazed how folks can manage to know what a person is thinking when they don’t say anything at all.

:eek:

Its kind suspicious to me to answer question with i don't know. I would expect jocabs or any owner in general to stick with the company line of " We are happy where the teams are currently at and we don't see there being any needs for a relocation of any team" or something like that.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Time to face the truth.... the coyotes are due

Mr Jacobs wants a team in Houston the owner there will not pay $650 so how else is it going to happen

Me. Jacobs wants a lot of things. Doesn’t mean he gets his way.

Time to stop projecting assumptions as the truth.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Jacobs could have easily said " We are happy where the teams are currently at and we don't see there being any needs for a relocation of any team" or something like that.

But he didn’t say anything and thus it means nothing other than send the imaginations of the prognosticators and the presumptive few into overdrive.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Time to stop projecting assumptions as the truth.

But he didn’t say anything and thus it means nothing other than send the imaginations of the prognosticators and the presumptive few into overdrive.

And how are we suppose to not assumption something could be going on behind the scenes when he answers a question about relocation with that. He should again kept with what bettman been saying when asked about relocation that the league has no interested in relocating any franchise.

If he didn't want anyone to interpret what he said incorrectly then he should have sticked with the company line on relocations.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
And how are we suppose to not assumption something could be going on behind the scenes when he answers a question about relocation with that. He should again kept with what bettman been saying when asked about relocation that the league has no interested in relocating any franchise.

I don’t know Tommy... at various timesover the past year or so you’ve “assumed” the Coyotes were headed to three different cities.

Maybe it’s time to simply step back from the ledge a bit and see what happens??

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don’t know Tommy... at various timesover the past year or so you’ve “assumed” the Coyotes were headed to three different cities.

Maybe it’s time to simply step back from the ledge a bit and see what happens??

Perhaps maybe the owners should be more careful of what they say to avoid people from speculating of what they say.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013

What has Jacobs wanted that he didn't get? Can't think of much off the top of my head. I have no idea what his feeling on Arizona are, so not sure what his comments actually mean but typically he gets what he wants with regards to the NHL.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
*bird lands on a lamppost and starts tweeting*

"That's as clear a sign as any that the Coyotes are not long for Arizona."

*a person rents a U-Haul truck*

"The moving vans are out for the Yotes! Won't be long now before they're gone!"

*Lhakpa Sherpa breaks female record for reaching the summit of Mt. Everest*

"The Coyotes can't climb that huge mountain of debt - they're gone next season at the latest!"

*the sun rises in the morning*

"The Houston Coyotes - it's time to face the truth! 2019, start ordering your tickets!"

:sarcasm:

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
If we are talking about recent quotes concerning Arizona, perhaps it should be this one from Craig Morgan's article on OEL's extension:

Ekman-Larsson has also said repeatedly that he wants to stay in Arizona and his agent, Kevin Epp, said after the season that talks were progressing in a positive direction.
“Everybody feels good about the way the organization is going right now and the direction of ownership and the direction of the team and its success,” Epp said.

Coyotes discussing 8-year extension with Oliver Ekman-Larsson

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If we are talking about recent quotes concerning Arizona, perhaps it should be this one from Craig Morgan's article on OEL's extension:

Seems obvious to me what the agent meant, but I am pretty sure that something else is going to be read into it... call it a hunch. ;)

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
In the continued spirit of no-news, news.

Another pro sports team is setting up shop...in the East Valley and partnership with ASU none of the less.

Arizona awarded new pro football team, will play at Sun Devil Stadium

A new professional football team is headed to Arizona.
Arizona State University announced Wednesday that the Alliance of American Football, which will begin play in February of 2019, will have an AAF franchise in the Valley, currently known as Alliance Phoenix.

Sorry guys, it's not the XFL :D

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
Seems obvious to me what the agent meant, but I am pretty sure that something else is going to be read into it... call it a hunch. ;)

Absolutely, wasn't trying to raise the level of discourse, just figured if we are talking about a quote from yesterday it should at least be the one directly talking about Arizona's ownership. I know we usually write that stuff off as lip service by the agents, but have their been any other agents in the last few years make that statement about the Coyotes? I know we have heard it from Bettman and Daly, but not sure I remember an agent or other party not directly employed by or without some invested interest in the Coyotes making such a statement. Hopefully it means a resolution to the ownership questions of some sort is close at hand.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
In the continued spirit of no-news, news.

Another pro sports team is setting up shop...in the East Valley and partnership with ASU none of the less.

Arizona awarded new pro football team, will play at Sun Devil Stadium

A new professional football team is headed to Arizona.
Arizona State University announced Wednesday that the Alliance of American Football, which will begin play in February of 2019, will have an AAF franchise in the Valley, currently known as Alliance Phoenix.

Sorry guys, it's not the XFL :D
AAF already has teams in Orlando and Atlanta, MG....

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Absolutely, wasn't trying to raise the level of discourse, just figured if we are talking about a quote from yesterday it should at least be the one directly talking about Arizona's ownership. I know we usually write that stuff off as lip service by the agents, but have their been any other agents in the last few years make that statement about the Coyotes? I know we have heard it from Bettman and Daly, but not sure I remember an agent or other party not directly employed by or without some invested interest in the Coyotes making such a statement. Hopefully it means a resolution to the ownership questions of some sort is close at hand.

I'm almost positive it's just a throw-in by the agent implying that ownership is not having a deleterious effect on negotiations or personnel decisions. Considering that Epp and his company also ran up against previous ownership when negotiating for Mikkel Boedker's contract prior to his trade to San Jose, it seems pretty clear that they think Barroway is an upgrade... and they wouldn't be wrong, IMO. :laugh:

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
I'm almost positive it's just a throw-in by the agent implying that ownership is not having a deleterious effect on negotiations or personnel decisions. Considering that Epp and his company also ran up against previous ownership when negotiating for Mikkel Boedker's contract prior to his trade to San Jose, it seems pretty clear that they think Barroway is an upgrade... and they wouldn't be wrong, IMO. :laugh:

You're probably right, just odd hearing a new voice say something decent about Arizona ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad