Phoenix CXXX: Sock it to ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Well...in the absence of arena announcement date, announcements of announcement dates and piles of dirt to survey....it's been a pretty dull series of events as of late.

The mega thread has not been the same since Tony left us :D

Reactions: Killion

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Well...in the absence of arena announcement date, announcements of announcement dates and piles of dirt to survey....it's been a pretty dull series of events as of late.

The mega thread has not been the same since Tony left us :D

I warned everyone it wouldn't be the same.... :naughty:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^^ What..... are we back on discussing promos???? :huh:

Absolutely. Love talkin Burritos..... Taco's (soft or hard shell?).... You guys are spoiled down there with all that fabulous real-deal SW cuisine and that if you just mention "Coyotes"... 50% of your purchase goes to their Foundation?.... its said God lives inside all of us, why dont you treat him to an Enchilada on Friday TL? Ha?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Absolutely. Love talkin Burritos..... Taco's (soft or hard shell?).... You guys are spoiled down there with all that fabulous real-deal SW cuisine and that if you just mention "Coyotes"... 50% of your purchase goes to their Foundation?.... its said God lives inside all of us, why dont you treat him to an Enchilada on Friday TL? Ha?

Had a couple of carne asada burritos from Filibertos just last night. Followed by the usual indigestion at 4am but it was worth it. :D

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Absolutely. Love talkin Burritos..... Taco's (soft or hard shell?).... You guys are spoiled down there with all that fabulous real-deal SW cuisine

...this is true, to the point where I refuse to eat Mexican when I travel outside the area...however, one problem with your suggestion...

and that if you just mention "Coyotes"... 50% of your purchase goes to their Foundation?.... its said God lives inside all of us, why dont you treat him to an Enchilada on Friday TL? Ha?

...they don't have enchiladas at Chipotle, to my knowledge...yet...pretty much burrito, taco, salad, bowl.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Uber inks deal with Arizona Coyotes

To quote:

"Ride share king Uber and the Arizona Coyotes hockey team have forged a new, multi-year deal.
Uber will serve as the Coyotes official ride share partner. Coyotes fans will get Uber discounts on game days and there will be Uber pickup and drop-off zones at Gila River Arena.

“We’re excited to partner with Uber to offer reliable rides to our fans,” said Coyotes President and CEO Steve Patterson. “We want to provide the best possible experience for those arriving and departing from Gila River Arena on Coyotes game nights and special events. Partnering with Uber will give our fans a convenient and safe transportation alternative to driving.”"

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2017/10/12/uber-inks-deal-with-arizona-coyotes.html

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
That private-public partnership that Barroway likes to talk about in getting a new arena...may just be a little bit harder to sell in the next State Legislative session...

Arizona Legislature could have a budget shortfall of $100M in 2018

To quote:

"“It’s going to be a free-for-all. We’re back to the cutting, I don’t see any other way,” [Republican Rep. Don] Shooter said. “It’s going to come down to who’s going to bleed the least, what’s going to be the least painful, I guess.”"

Source: http://ktar.com/story/1784249/arizona-legislatures-budget-analysts-predict-2018-shortfall/

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Heh, my estimated Uber round trip cost would be $80-$100. That better be a heck of a discount (maybe throw in the tickets for free...hyuk hyuk hyuk hyuk:dunce: )

Well...the article does state that for new users, they can use a promo code for $20 off their first ride...

After that...it looks like it will be back to regular pricing...

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Well...the article does state that for new users, they can use a promo code for $20 off their first ride...

After that...it looks like it will be back to regular pricing...

That does come close...unique marketing idea: "Ride back and forth across town in the back seat of some guy's Honda Accord for 2 hours, and your game ticket's on us! Uber!"

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

The Alpine Hats are the promotional item for the Oct 14 game against the Bruins...

... :laugh: Perhaps a tad warm for Metro Phoenix but hey, love the hat, great little promo, gift with purchase.

... I take it its "faux Coyote" fur? I bought a real Mad Trapper (Beaver) hat similar to that one years ago in Quebec, political correctness be damned..... and ya ya ya I luv animals..... get away from me with your spray paint & lecture...... anyhoo..... I like it. Good stuff!...

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
... :laugh: Perhaps a tad warm for Metro Phoenix but hey, love the hat, great little promo, gift with purchase.

... I take it its "faux Coyote" fur? I bought a real Mad Trapper (Beaver) hat similar to that one years ago in Quebec, political correctness be damned..... and ya ya ya I luv animals..... get away from me with your spray paint & lecture...... anyhoo..... I like it. Good stuff!...

The CEO does not think so...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ :laugh: ... come in handy if you ski or snowboard... head south to Mt.
Lemmon or north to Arizona Snowbowl... Colorado, New Mexico or wherever.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Well since y'all seem to be all hung up on promotions....... let's do this and take care of it all in one shot and save everyone some bandwidth while we're at it?? Hmmmm?????

Skipping the two promotions already discussed. Here is the entire Coyotes promotions schedule and tickets specials for this season:

LINK: https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/tickets/promotions

Hockey Fights Cancer Night
November 4th vs Carolina Hurricanes
Military Appreciation Night
November 11th vs Winnipeg Jets
Star Wars Night
November 25th vs Vegas Golden Knights
(Paul Bissonette bobblehead to first 10,000 fans)
Operation Santa Claus
December 2nd vs New Jersey Devils
(Toy drive to benefit operation Santa Claus)
Celebrate the Howlidays
December 22nd vs Washington Capitals
December 23rd vs Colorado Avalanche
Oliver Ekman-Larssson Bobblehead Night
January 12th vs Edmonton Oilers
(OEL Bobblehead to first 10,000 fans)
Hockey Is For Everyone
February 1st vs Dallas Stars
Max Domi Bobblehead Night
February 10th vs Philadelphia Flyers
(Max Domi/Orion Bobblehead to first 10,000 fans)
(Orion is Max Domi's diabetes service dog.)
Howler's Birthday and Kid's Day
February 17th vs Edmonton Oilers
(Howler Bobblehead to first 7,500 fans)
Diamondbacks Night
February 24th vs Anaheim Ducks
(DBacks Bobblehead to first 7,500 fans)
Go Green Night
March 17th vs Minnesota Wild
Fan Appreciation Night
April 7th vs Anaheim Ducks

Ticket Specials

Pepsi Family Pack

Four tickets, four hotdogs, four Pepsi products on selected Saturdays. $119 (Upper level), $199 (Lower level)
Coors Light Party Pack
Two lower level tickets plus two Coors Light beers every Thursday (except Dec. 26th vs Toronto)
Buck Bash
Select $1 concession items including hot dogs, sodas and beer. Oct. 14th vs Boston, Nov. 25th vs Vegas, and Dec. 22nd vs Washington.
Papa Johns Student Rush
$15 upper level, $25 lower level. Sundays - Thursdays (except Dec. 28th vs Toronto and Feb. 12th vs Chicago.) Requires valid student ID. Limit two tickets per ID. Must pre-register or show up at ticket window one hour prior to puck drop).
Military Rush
Valid military ID can purchase up to two tickets ($15 upper, $30 lower) November 11th vs Winnipeg.
Kids Post Game Slap Shot
Kids 14 and under can go on the ice after the game to take a slap shot. October 7 vs. Vegas, November 4 vs. Carolina, December 23 vs. Colorado, January 6 vs. New York Rangers, February 17 vs. Edmonton, March 3 vs. Ottawa, and March 31 vs. St Louis.

Now...... how do these events relate to the Coyotes eventually succeeding in the valley?? How does their promotions list stack up against other teams in the NHL??? More??? Less??? Cheap?? Not as cheap???

Llama.... I get the impression that you're especially interested in these promotions (since you keep bringing them up), so I'm particularly interested in how you think these promotions relate to the Coyotes business plan???

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
I have never understood the power of promotions? But, thats just me, maybe they are effective in bringing the casual fan on those specific nights. I would have thought the Bruins game would be a draw in and of itself, save the promotions for the teams that do not have the same drawing power as the Original six?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Well since y'all seem to be all hung up on promotions....... let's do this and take care of it all in one shot and save everyone some bandwidth while we're at it?? Hmmmm?????

Now...... how do these events relate to the Coyotes eventually succeeding in the valley?? How does their promotions list stack up against other teams in the NHL??? More??? Less??? Cheap?? Not as cheap????

"Hung up Promotions"? :D Hardly. But as marketing & promotions are all "business issues" you betcha there gunna be brought up & discussed here TL, just as they would be if Colorado, Vancouver or Minnesota were in the same situation as Arizona was/is. As for price points, Student, Military & General they all seem to be about on par with elsewhere around the League from Florida to Detroit (though with the Red Wings not sure if there still offering Student Packages etc).

I'd be interested to know what collateral support, what advertising if any beyond the Coyotes website & through twitter along with social media they might be doing to get the word out on these promotions. Ad's in student newspapers along with pop-up's & banner ads' on student sites? Radio? Major dailies? TV? Outdoor? Arguable just how effective any of the traditional media & platforms might be in this day & age. Most markets engaging in these sorts of promotions & tickey bundling etc sticking to internet & social media platforms with targeted outdoor & transit advertising.

And speaking of tickets.... I see they've revised their ticketing structure & pricing as well, 4 Tiers (Platinum etc) of ticket pricing with Chicago & Pittsburgh at the top level (appears they may have added Toronto to that tier - Matthews factor, Leafs seemingly coming out of their 50yr coma though I wouldnt be sending the Priest home just yet, seen this before... about 37X's in fact), offering full ST's, 22 & 13 game packages (you select which games) along with "Flex Packs" or in other words "what games would you like to reserve (?)... lets make a deal". The club also appears to have beefed up their personnel in ticket sales so its not like their not trying.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I have never understood the power of promotions? But, thats just me, maybe they are effective in bringing the casual fan on those specific nights. I would have thought the Bruins game would be a draw in and of itself, save the promotions for the teams that do not have the same drawing power as the Original six?

Promotions can be critical, make or break mesa. All of the 06 teams at various times like Arizona have been "on the ropes", future uncertain..... Detroit (Military, Student Packages) and really all of the 06'rs with the exceptions of Toronto & the Rangers have or continue to offer various bundled packages & some occasionally have offered premiums or "gift with purchase", run sweepstakes & contests etc at various times in their history..... Going way back, Tex Rickard, founder of the Rangers used to hire off-duty Ambulances & their Crews to charge around through the streets surrounding MSG with sirens blaring & lights flashing just prior to & through the 1st period of a game hoping to draw people into the building anxious to see what all of the Hullabaloo might be about. Today we'd call that "Gorilla" or "Ambush Marketing". All kinds of non-traditional ways to grab peoples attention that are a lot more effective than traditional media buys & promotions. :naughty:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Promotions can be critical, make or break mesa. All of the 06 teams at various times like Arizona have been "on the ropes", future uncertain..... Detroit (Military, Student Packages) and really all of the 06'rs with the exceptions of Toronto & the Rangers have or continue to offer various bundled packages & some occasionally have offered premiums or "gift with purchase", run sweepstakes & contests etc at various times in their history..... Going way back, Tex Rickard, founder of the Rangers used to hire off-duty Ambulances & their Crews to charge around through the streets surrounding MSG with sirens blaring & lights flashing just prior to & through the 1st period of a game hoping to draw people into the building anxious to see what all of the Hullabaloo might be about. Today we'd call that "Gorilla" or "Ambush Marketing". All kinds of non-traditional ways to grab peoples attention that are a lot more effective than traditional media buys & promotions. :naughty:

There is no business tread that tracks how other teams 'stack up' but let's take their opponent tonight...the Boston Bruins...they have five promotions this year...probably not fair...

How about some of their conference opponents...Vegas - zero (but I believe their home opener had T-shirts over all of the seats), Calgary - 17, Anaheim - 22, San Jose - 15...

However, here is the Coyotes breakdown by year of promotions...

2013/14 - 38 out of 41 games
2014/15 - 35 out of 41 games
2015/16 - 37 out of 41 games
2016/17 - 39 out of 41 games
2017/18 - 36 out of 41 games

Yet...with almost 90% of the games having promotions...for the last four years...their average attendance still hovers around the 13,391 range or 78% capacity...

Does not seem to be moving the needle much...

But a new arena...in the right location...definitely will... :eyeroll:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Does not seem to be moving the needle much...

Interesting numbers. One of the problems thats faced this club (along with the Panthers under Yormark & a few others) is promotional over-kill. People become accustomed to & expect it. Expect to receive gift/premium, free or cheap food/drink with purchase including discount on face-value of the tickets themselves. So what was originally designed as a sort of "introductory offer" in hoping to reel in some casuals, that they'd then become hooked on the game hasnt worked that way at all and instead for roughly 30-45%% of their inventory at GRA became the norm. Promo's you'd only offer for soft or unattractive opponents.

This quagmire, box theyve found themselves in is certainly unenviable & speaks to a number of systemic problems they & other clubs face. Unfortunately magnified in Arizona as a result of what been going on really since they moved there in 96, to Glendale in 04, hyper-magnified, as in right under the microscope since 2009. They need to break out of the cell thats been created, that theyve inherited. The only way that happens is with an improved on-ice product, winning. That takes time. Time not a luxury these guys have so ya, heavy promo. Perfectly understandable, no criticism from me on that score. Now, "does it move the needle"? Ya, I think so. It maintains what theyve got while providing some incentive to the casuals. You dont have to look far to see what happens when things like this are completely removed with attendance then completely cratering. Florida. Transition post Yormark however you had different fundamentals, ownership willing & able to eat the losses short & mid range. Arizona, no, not a luxury they have.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
But a new arena...in the right location...definitely will... :eyeroll:

.... now this... with the article you linked earlier.... "State projecting $100M budget shortfall"..... which is conservative, minimum if Trumps' healthcare reforms & Bill's pass.... The Governor (obviously) averse to raising corporate taxes to cover the projected deficits, instead, looking at slash & burn, cutbacks.... Not hard to imagine how the Coyotes can spin this, from job creation through development & construction to on-going permanent positions beyond just arena operations & team to retail, service etc. The taxes they, their employee's & the players pay etc etc etc. That having an NHL team is "good for business" in attracting companies to the State & so on & so forth. The usual. It's going to be intyeresting to see if they do go for it, re-engage, Lobby, resurrecting the Worsley Bill or (?) what.... The only proactive dot on the map thus far being Phoenix itself, sale of the hotel, convention center etc. Mayor Stanton's potential replacement's have yet to emerge from the shadows so no solid policy statements, thoughts or suggestions on that front, nothing debatable as of yet. Sarver doing his best imitation of the ever enigmatic Egyptian Sphynx. Hotel sale proceeds according to at least one Councilman earmarked for renovations which all but completely rules out a shared facility.... a wholly impracticable & untenable concept as it is given the independent & conflicting interests of the NBA & Sarver / the NHL & Barroway. Cant be done.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Who cares? Why does it matter who cheers for who? It's a market that has so many people from other areas that were fans of other teams before they got to Arizona. It happens. The challenge is getting people to go to more games than just the games their favorite team comes to town. It's been 20 years now. Hopefully, more kids that have grown up are now Coyotes fans and will start going to games. I don't think the players care. Sure, the fans might cheer, and you can hear them loud and proud when the other team scores, but that happens on the road a lot too. Matter of the fact is, people are in the seats, the arena is loud, and everyone is having a good time. I'd rather have a bunch of opposing fans and a full arena than nobody in the arena. This thread will comment on anything.

I heard Barroway sneezed this morning, is he unhealthy? What will the Coyotes do for a new owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad