Phoenix and Chicago

Angelo25

Jun 2, 2007
in my opinion, hands down, won the draft...

PHOENIX Draft
3 KYLE TURRIS
30 NICK ROSS
32 BRETT MACLEAN
36 JOEL GISTEDT
103 VLADIMIR RUZICKA (imo steal of the draft and mayorov too clb)
123 MAXIM GONCHAROV
153 SCOTT DARLING

CHICAGO Draft
1 PAT KANE
38 WILLIAM SWEATT
56 AKIM ALIU
69 MAXIME TANGUAY
86 JOSH UNICE
126 JOSEPH LAVIN
156 RICHARD GREENOP

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
I'm a big fan of JVR and McDonagh and i think Voracek and mostly Turris are better then Kane. Kane was great at U-20 and played great in london, but i dont know i'm not too high on him. I like smalish skilled player, but i'm just not a big fan of him.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I think Chigago cleaned up in this one. I guess time will tell, but they landed three players that all were heavily discussed here for quite sometime. Kane, Aliu, and Sweatt. But to land Tanguay as well puts the icing on the cake.

Also to add one of the best pure fighters in Greenop. Guy may never play a regular shift there, but if the NHL ever alters the instigator, Chicago now has a damn good enforcer in the system.

I really think Chicago cleaned house on this one. Really gives Hawks fans something to look foward to. Can't wait to see Kane and Toews together.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
I believe "team x" won he draft, because I recognize the most players that they drafted. No need to revisit this question 5 years from now. It's clear they won.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Was I the only one who thought Maloney looked pissed when Phoenix picked Nick Ross?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Chicago picked a bunch of high-profile HF darlings, but overall I don't really rate it that highly. Aliu is a rubbish human being - and not all that great of a player - that a lot of teams wouldn't have drafted if the draft was 20 rounds. Tanguay has a name factor, but isn't a fraction of his brother. Sweatt I do like as a pick at 38. And, although Kane is a terrific prospect, I wouldn't have taken him at #1.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Was I the only one who thought Maloney looked pissed when Phoenix picked Nick Ross?

They were waiting on the Espo/Cherry situation before trading down. That, probably coupled with the violent trade talks over goalies, made for an unhappy Maloney. He probably just got off the phone with Burke. :sarcasm:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Not a big fan of chicago pick. Kane wasnt in my top 3, Bill Sweatt is overated, Aliu is a great player but headless and Tanguay is skilled but really soft...

okay then. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Chicago easily had one of the best drafts out there. The funniest part was Kane wasnt in your top 3!! man o man. And Billy Sweatt is overrated? I dont know how that can be when you can skate like the wind, actually control the puck while doing it, and put up nearly a point per game in a pretty tough collegiate confrence. Yeah, I can see how overrated applies. Dont hate us because we finally are putting together some great drafts. And what team do you think had a great draft in your expert opinion?

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
Because he fell in the rankings obviously. You don't need to actually watch games to accurately rate players:sarcasm:

What the **** are you talking about? I saw him twice this year and he didnt impress me at all while this board was all over him like one of the best player in the draft. And now people are saying that Chicago picked great in part because of him and seriously I dont like him too much. I wouldnt have drafted him that early. Is their anything wrong with not liking a player?

And why would Sweatt be a good pick? Because they got him in 2nd round while he was ranked in the 1st? or because you saw him several time and been impress by him? Yea..

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
okay then. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Chicago easily had one of the best drafts out there. The funniest part was Kane wasnt in your top 3!! man o man. And Billy Sweatt is overrated? I dont know how that can be when you can skate like the wind, actually control the puck while doing it, and put up nearly a point per game in a pretty tough collegiate confrence. Yeah, I can see how overrated applies. Dont hate us because we finally are putting together some great drafts. And what team do you think had a great draft in your expert opinion?

I dont hate you at all I just dont like the pick. IMO Kane isnt the best player in the draft. Is it wrong to think that way? Is it wrong to say that vanRiemsdyk and Turris are better? Is it funny to say so? Is it a bad thing to like Voracek too? He's the kind of player i always liked. McDonagh really impressed me too.

Sweatt can skate, congratulation, but what i saw from him this season wasnt too great. Bad games? Maybe, it's true that i didnt see him play like 10 times or so this year, but he doesnt impress me. I wouldnt pick Aliu in 7th round cause he's not the kind of player i want in my locker room. Tanguay is ok, but not more.

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003
I dont hate you at all I just dont like the pick. IMO Kane isnt the best player in the draft. Is it wrong to think that way? Is it wrong to say that vanRiemsdyk and Turris are better? Is it funny to say so? Is it a bad thing to like Voracek too? He's the kind of player i always liked. McDonagh really impressed me too.

Sweatt can skate, congratulation, but what i saw from him this season wasnt too great. Bad games? Maybe, it's true that i didnt see him play like 10 times or so this year, but he doesnt impress me. I wouldnt pick Aliu in 7th round cause he's not the kind of player i want in my locker room. Tanguay is ok, but not more.

Fair enough. You are entitled to yoru opinion, but why don't you explain your opinions a bit more? Do you know Aliu or are you going on gossip?

WIth KAne, what don't you like about him? What did you see that turned you off during the games you watched?

Sweatt, did he loose the puck? Not finish?

The responses to your post weren't much more than ra ra. But I come here for hockey knowledge and am truly curious about how you derived yoru opinion. Or are you just a rebel and devils advocate, applying freedom of opinonin in a world where forums are rigid in opinon for that sake?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I believe "team x" won he draft, because I recognize the most players that they drafted. No need to revisit this question 5 years from now. It's clear they won.

That's exactly what this is. I'm not trying to say it's a bad thing or anything but it looks like both teams ran down the ISS rankings picking the highest-ranked player when he was available to them. They have the most recognizable names out of all the teams, ergo they "win the draft" the day after, according to HF.

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
Fair enough. You are entitled to yoru opinion, but why don't you explain your opinions a bit more? Do you know Aliu or are you going on gossip?

WIth KAne, what don't you like about him? What did you see that turned you off during the games you watched?

Sweatt, did he loose the puck? Not finish?

The responses to your post weren't much more than ra ra. But I come here for hockey knowledge and am truly curious about how you derived yoru opinion. Or are you just a rebel and devils advocate, applying freedom of opinonin in a world where forums are rigid in opinon for that sake?

Aliu YES i went with Gossip. But fighting a teamates leaving the team twice etc. It's not the kind of attitude i want on my team. No matter how skilled he is.

I dont say Kane is bad i just think he wasnt the best player in the draft. Being the fifth best player in a draft is really good, but at first I dont know. Turris has more upside, VanRiemsdyk bring more then just offense to the table and Voracek is the most complete player in the draft. Thats it. If you want a guy that is a total liability in defense it's up to you. He goes thru trafic it's not too bad, but then again it's not the kind of player a team needs to win the cup IMO. Grit and 2 way games are more important.

Kane is hell of a player dont get me wrong. The most spectacular in the draft, just not at that early. Spectacular and effective is two different things. I think Kane is more of the first.

Sweatt I dont know the 2 games i saw him play he was pretty much useless. He seemed so-so in defense. He was trying to do too much by himself at some times like trying to use his speed to burn defencemen, but he couldnt actually deke him. I saw some upside in him I dont say he shouldve went undrafted, but maybe a middle to late 3rd rounder. If he rounds his game a bit, improve his dekeing and be more of a 2 way player he could be quite a good 2 way players with breakaway speed, but offensively he's so-so and defensively like i said both games he looked bad. He has some upside, but some guys were available with just as much upside, maybe more being a better player already.

I'm no NHL scout, i didnt see Sweatt play like 10 times, but from what i saw he isnt 2nd round material. 2 games is a small sample, maybe you saw other game then i did, i dont know. I hope for him and the hawks that he is a better then what i saw, but I'm just talking about what i saw. Not from CSS nor stats, but just sharing my thoughts on him.

Requin

Lurkedylurk
Jan 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo

No, no, obviously "team y" won the draft, because they are my home team. Let me extoll the virtues of my team's picks for a few paragraphs, and you will surely be convinced. :sarcasm:

... Actually, that was my first reaction to Chicago's list: "WOW! I recognize almost all those names!" :dunce:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think Chigago cleaned up in this one. I guess time will tell, but they landed three players that all were heavily discussed here for quite sometime. Kane, Aliu, and Sweatt. But to land Tanguay as well puts the icing on the cake.

Also to add one of the best pure fighters in Greenop. Guy may never play a regular shift there, but if the NHL ever alters the instigator, Chicago now has a damn good enforcer in the system.

I really think Chicago cleaned house on this one. Really gives Hawks fans something to look foward to. Can't wait to see Kane and Toews together.

Tanguay is going to be a mammoth bust...i dont know why so many people on here like him...hes small, soft, slow and plays on the outside...I guess that gets you a lot of fans on HF ;)

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Guys, I know this wouldn't be called "Hockey's Future" if we weren't allowed to talk about drafts and what not, and I'm not here to ruin the party, but to attempt to decide who won the draft on the very day it took place is a bit ridiculous... just because a team had a lot of name-players taken, it doesn't carry much weight on who had the best draft. That is one thing many should realize, even more so with this draft, what with players like Mayorov falling to the 4th round and Torquato going damn near undrafted! (I admit I was almost going crazy just waiting for ANY team to take him)
I think my point is we're all (at least I hope) intelligent enough to realize that the draft is about the future... every single one of Chicago's players could bust, however unlikely that may be, and this draft for them is suddenly the worst in history after being dubbed the winner.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Not a big fan of chicago pick. Kane wasnt in my top 3, Bill Sweatt is overated, Aliu is a great player but headless and Tanguay is skilled but really soft...

I still cant believe the number of people that get hung up on Kane for his size. Comparing rookie CHL seasons Kane outscored Crosby in a lower scoring league and Kane is only an inch and 10 pounds lighter than Crosby was at draft day.

I dont think Kane will be anywhere as good as an NHLer as Crosby for obvious reasons, but if he is half the offensive player Crosby is and can score 50-60 points in a year or two then the Hawks got a great player worthy of being taken #1 in many drafts.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
Guys, I know this wouldn't be called "Hockey's Future" if we weren't allowed to talk about drafts and what not, and I'm not here to ruin the party, but to attempt to decide who won the draft on the very day it took place is a bit ridiculous... just because a team had a lot of name-players taken, it doesn't carry much weight on who had the best draft. That is one thing many should realize, even more so with this draft, what with players like Mayorov falling to the 4th round and Torquato going damn near undrafted! (I admit I was almost going crazy just waiting for ANY team to take him)
I think my point is we're all (at least I hope) intelligent enough to realize that the draft is about the future... every single one of Chicago's players could bust, however unlikely that may be, and this draft for them is suddenly the worst in history after being dubbed the winner.
Well the mainly because it's the off season the draft just happened and free agency hasn't started yet. What else are we suppose to talk about? Most of us are here because we like hockey, and a lot of us pay particular attention to prospects and have opinions on my of them. I know that no one will truly know how the draft turns out for years, but you can say that right now one team might look like they did better than another. I know I was underwhelmed at what the Flyers did at the draft.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
Perhaps people shouldn't take the term 'draft winner' too literally.

Of course no one is going to know who the real winners of this draft are for quite a few years down the road when these prospects actually become professionals, so I think it's safe to assume that most of these lists are made with the drafted prospects' potential in mind.

People choose draft winners based on the collective potential of a teams' picks, not based on what they've achieved, which is squat yet, at the pro level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad