Philly Sells Out

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
(HAP) Another day, another trade for the Flyers. Another day, another prospect leaves the city of brotherly hate. A source within the Flyers organization has leaked that the team has dealt for a prominant defenseman to stabilize the defense, which the team had hoped Brodeur would have done. Going to the other way was an All-Star defenseman, an aging star defenseman and a highly thought of young player.

It appears that all sanity has left the building but after the deal for Brodeur that hasn't quite worked out, the team must of felt that they had little choice to stop now. "Full steam ahead."

Details of the trade to follow once the league approves the deal.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Grrrr....would you stop trying to make your team better dammit!!!
This is hockey's future national hockey league....stop trading for players to help you now!!!

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I have to say, this has been an even more interesting year in the HFNHL than in the NHL itself, with everything it seems up for grabs (outside of the Blues continued domination, of course!). Lots of teams in the mix, adding or subtracting, lots of movement in the standings. I'm loving it!

:hockey:

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Flyers Acquire Redden...Cupboard bare

(HAP) As previoulsy announced the Flyers negotiated another major trade to further shake up their struggling club. Wade Redden officially becomes a Flyer today after the team acquired his rights and Matthew Keith's for Sheldon Souray, promosing youngster Jeff Carter, veteran Chris Chelios and a 3rd round pick.

"We needed to make this deal. It kills us giving up Jeff, Sheldon and Chelios but the club performance this year has left us no choice. It was our feeling that we were missing a piece on defense and we had to give up a few pieces to acquire one."

Press Conference

Q. With Sheldon Souray having a career year, why did you make the deal?

A. Redden brings us something Sheldon would never give us and that is a defensive presense. Take a look at some of the top teams in the league. They all have at least one dominant defenseman, we were missing that.

This trade also allows us to drop Chelios' salary which after resigning Colin White we would have to trade after this year anyway and Wade can pick up some extra minutes.

Going forward we now feel we have a good mix of youth and veteran leadership on the blueline headed by Redden, Markov, White Sopel and then youngsters Volchenkov, Gleason and Seabrook & Valibik hopefully in the fold in a year or two.

Q. What does Redden bring to the Flyers? What about Keith?

A. Redden brings leadership, defensive awareness, skill and calmness when things get antsy. He should improve our power play and mostly he should help on the PK where the team has its biggest struggles.

Keith is a tough 2 way forward who will probably end up on our 3rd line but he still has an outside shot to develop into a consistant 20 goal scorer.

Q. The media caught wind of this trade earlier in the day and are bashing you for this trade and the trade for Brodeur.

A. I don't work for the media. I'm trying to win and create a strong organization for the Flyers. We really like the three players we gave up with Jeff Carter having a great chance to one day be a dominating player in this league. Chelios is one of my all-time favourites and has been acquired by me a few times and Sheldon has broken out again this year after some tough personal problems last year but we also feel that Redden is one of the league's top 5 defenseman and you have to pay a price to acquire such talent.

Q. What if you don't make the playoffs and/or not make the finals?

A. Well, the next press conference that I may be involved in is either my firing or my resignation but I feel strongly that we now have a team that can succeed. I don't anticipate any more deals although I haven't ruled that out.

Q. Speaking of deals its been suggested that you are currently looking to deal Todd Bertuzzi or even possibly Scott Gomez, any truth to those rumours.

A. Well as you know, nobody is above being traded if the right deal comes along. If we trade either of those guys, we would need equal assets returned such as the deal we made today. Thanks everyone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forgive my spelling and grammer, no time for a proof read.

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Team Gets Message as Gomez Scores 4

(HAP) Scott Gomez got the message loud and clear as he triggered a huge win for the Philadelphia Flyers by scoring 4 goals and assisting on another as his team destroyed the defenseless New Jersey Devils 6-0.

With Gomez 5 points, he takes over the scoring lead and ties the league for goals scored. Entering FA, Gomez is playing for a new contract and possibly league MVP.

In addition to Gomez, oustanding game, Bertuzzi added two assists while playing a tough game in front of the net and Gagne kept pace on the point leaderboard by netting 2 assists.

The Flyers have 3 players in the top 15 in league points (#1,#3,#11) and have 2 players fighting for the Rocket Richard Trophy (Gomez 30 goals, Gagne 29). For years the team had struggles scoring goals while they played oustanding defense but this year has been the reverse as the team has had no trouble scoring but has struggled keeping them out their net.

Tonight's game was an important one but the Flyers now must string some wins together if they want to get some breathing space in the standings.

"We played angry tonight. We lost a three teammates tonight, which could have been avoided if we only had played harder and gotten better results."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad