Philly not as big a hockey town as it is thought to be?

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
I don't know if you can compare football ratings to hockey rating for a couple reasons, one there is only 16 games a season compared to 80 in hockey and football for the most part is on a Sunday and at a pretty consistent time while a hockey game can be on at any time of the week.
Fine. I've spent a ton of time in the St Paul area over the course of my lifetime... have a lot of my family there too. I can personally guarantee you that the NFL >> NHL there, as it is in every US market. And it isn't even close.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Detroit? I guess the Tigers, Lions and Red Wings aren't playing evenly, but I'm sure that if they were, the Wings would be #1 in Detroit. Is that safe to say?
No, it's not safe to say. The NHL would not be #1, and again, it's not even close... as is the case with every US market (at some point, this message will get through).

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Fine. I've spent a ton of time in the St Paul area over the course of my lifetime... have a lot of my family there too. I can personally guarantee you that the NFL >> NHL there, as it is in every US market. And it isn't even close.

You know were not exactly talking NFL vs NHL here, more Football vs Hockey, check the title of the thread and the original post, you can guarantee football is more popular than hockey there as well?

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
You know were not exactly talking NFL vs NHL here, more Football vs Hockey, check the title of the thread and the original post, you can guarantee football is more popular than hockey there as well?
The post to which I initially responded was a response by you to a statement about the NFL, specifically:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=8843751&postcount=13

I responded with the NFL and its hockey counterpart in mind.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I'll rephrase my question then, can you guarantee the NFL is more popular than hockeyin general?
Then, the question should not be is the NFL more popular than hockey in general, but rather is Football (NFL, College, High School, Youth, etc) more popular than Hockey (same etc).

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Then, the question should not be is the NFL more popular than hockey in general, but rather is Football (NFL, College, High School, Youth, etc) more popular than Hockey (same etc).

Either way, just trying to get any idea about football and hockey in Minny.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
I'll rephrase my question then, can you guarantee the NFL is more popular than hockeyin general?
Probably not, since those are such different entities. One is a specific professional sports league, while the other could encompass a whole array of things. It would be difficult for me to say whether the NFL is more popular than fishing, for example. They exist in different contexts. It seems more meaningful to discuss things that are well-defined and comparable, like NFL vs NHL, NFL vs NCAA hockey, NFL vs MLB, etc.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Probably not, since those are such different entities. One is a specific professional sports league, while the other could encompass a whole array of things. It would be difficult for me to say whether the NFL is more popular than fishing, for example. They exist in different contexts. It seems more meaningful to discuss things that are well-defined and comparable, like NFL vs NHL, NFL vs NCAA hockey, NFL vs MLB, etc.

Fair enough.

Voice of Reason

Jul 6, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Sure. Check the TV ratings as just one example. A crappy Vikings team will draw ratings that are 20 times higher than what a very good Wild team will draw. The NFL >> the NHL in every US market. I'm not sure why anyone would even question this.

I would venture to guess that NFL tv ratings blow hockey out the door in LA, too. And they don't even have an NFL team.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
I would venture to guess that NFL tv ratings blow hockey out the door in LA, too. And they don't even have an NFL team.
You would venture correctly. Plug in any other city for "LA" in that first sentence, and you would still venture correctly. :)

Edit: I was referring here to US cities, of course (in case that wasn't already understood).

Last edited:

alrusso

Mar 26, 2007
Other teams terrible

There isn't a US City that boasts at least 3 major professional teams, where the hockey team would be considered #1 ... assuming that all the sports teams in the area were playing at an even level.

The Phillies are terrible, 76ers are terrible, that makes it a little easier for the Flyers to compete.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
They are as good as any other team this season.

btw, remember VOTE FOR SANJAYA !

alrusso

Mar 26, 2007
Rose colored glasses

They are as good as any other team this season.

btw, remember VOTE FOR SANJAYA !

There are three teams in the American League East that are better than the Phillies.
But if you mean in their divsion, then your probably right.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
If the NHL is such a poor sell in the U.S. why is it so inconceivable to the Apologists that a 7th franchise in Canada could be successful.

The Apologists, admittedly, have set the bar very low with St. Louis and Chicago rejecting hockey.

So how could a team in a market where hockey would actually be #1 be a mistake ?

Not to mention Atlanta and Nashville rejecting winning teams. But Bettman's expansion mistakes are a whole different story altogether.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
If the NHL is such a poor sell in the U.S. why is it so inconceivable to the Apologists that a 7th franchise in Canada could be successful.

The Apologists, admittedly, have set the bar very low with St. Louis and Chicago rejecting hockey.

So how could a team in a market where hockey would actually be #1 be a mistake ?

Not to mention Atlanta and Nashville rejecting winning teams. But Bettman's expansion mistakes are a whole different story altogether.

Because no one cares about Canada in the professional sports world.

Lou's Koolaid

I live here
Jan 12, 2007
KWT660
The point that im making here is based off what was in the hockey news last year I would still rank Philly near the top but there not that much more a hockey town as New York or Boston. Time will tell when playoff T.V ratings come out whether Im right or wrong here. Pittsburgh has had better playoff ratings in the past Im sure of this and remeber hearing this during the 2001 finals. Its pretty much a fact that the Flyers have a huge fan base and are in my mind only second to the Eagles in popularity in Philly. They always packed the spectrum in the early 90's when they weren't making the playoffs while the sixer might have been more competitive around that time they were on as good as a draw.

Lou's Koolaid

I live here
Jan 12, 2007
KWT660
Philly is a super hockey town, hell, their minor league team gets better crowds then the Devils do.

Your definitely barking up the wrong tree dude.
In some cases you can be correct here the Phantoms had crowds of 13,000 during the lockout year and others as low as 3,000 but yeah 13,000 out draws the Devils on most week nights and maybe more than our playoff opener.:sarcasm:

hockeydadx2*

Pittsburgh gets good tv ratings for hockey, and they are the hot item in town right now, but that's only because there isn't any real Steeler news going down. On the television news, a feature about the consistency and aroma of Steeler bowel movements would get higher ratings than just about anything else you can imagine. Nothing will ever displace the Steelers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad