Proposal: Philly and Montréal are ideal trade partners. Let's make things work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Reality is, Price is the 2nd highest paid player in the league. He needs to win the Vezina every year just to make it a fair contract...which we all know he won't.

I personally like Price. But not at that cost, or that term. If he was a UFA, I would not offer him that deal. He just does not fit the Flyers timeline and cost structure. It's why you see fans saying they would rather go after a guy like Holtby...2 years left making 6.2 million.

Montreal was in a tough spot with Price. Walking away means they have no goalie. Now, they need to try and build a team around him and his cost. I expect a big bounceback next year from him.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
If you read the thread first you'd know that the original proposal you quoted was from a Habs fan, and that every single Flyers fan has already stated they want no part of Price. So saying you want even more for him when there were no takers for the first offer? Pretty pointless .
Sorry I don’t spend my life reading all posts within an hfboards thread. Habs never offer what the OP suggested and they would only trade him for a king’s ransom.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
There's a famous quote from The Wire that essentially sums up every single "Price to your team" trade proposal from Habs fans:

"You want it to be one way... but it's the other way"

So it's yet another thread where we read quotes like "Price is worth more than Konecny. The fact that Flyers say No is hilarious." It's not hilarious, it's expected. Konecny is 21 years old, a promising player currently on his ELC contract, and just put up a respectable 47-point sophomore season.

Your GM got out-negotiated by Price & his agent and now there's no safety net that'll get it off the books in return for a 21-year-old potential #1C/RW. Every single other fanbase keeps telling you it's the other way - Price is a great goalie but his albatross contract severely hinders his ability to be traded - yet you guys still insist all teams without a Vezina candidate are hungry and ready to give up exactly what Montreal needs, to the point where Habs fans can laugh off an offer of Konecny++ because you guys can get Eichel++ or Barzal++ instead.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
"solid goaltending" can be had for around 4-5M a year, not 10M

There is a 761, 666$ guy who played 4 yrs of juniors already. Heard he is kind of good.
Pair him with that 21 yrs old Swede with 3 yrs of SHL experience at 792,500$.

And go buy yourself more scorers with money you saved with 11 mil coming off the books.

Got to say last game vs Pit was fun to watch although it fell apart in the 3rd.

Deal Wayne and give me a new 3rd line. Rest of roster is fine.

Reactions: Devonator

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It starts with a 1st, Morin and Patrick. Don’t like it, then beat it.

I don’t know that you could package assets together from Montreal to get me to move that package, to be honest. And maybe not because of their value, but simply because of the fit.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Unless Doughty is getting over 11m then his 29-37 year old seasons at 10x8m and not giving up assets is 100x more appealing than giving up assets to get Weber 33-41 year old seasons at 8M. Unless a player's contract has more value than the FA market then a player is worth nothing! (short term left on a contract being the exception)

Also you can offer sheet Hellebucyk at 7.5m and give up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd so Price at 10.5m is worth less than that package if anything.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
I don’t know that you could package assets together from Montreal to get me to move that package, to be honest. And maybe not because of their value, but simply because of the fit.

That’s okay but that’s Price’s value.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Told you, he's genuinely serious Montreal fans don't know sarcasm.

What the hell is your guys' problem ? We have one of the biggest fanbase here. Not because 1 fan calls 1 thing that you have to generalize to the whole fanbase.

I'm very sick of this. I don't like Bruins or Leafs much but you won't see me saying leafs fans are all delusional idiots because one of them said Matthews is better than Gretzky.

Respond to the dude's post but don't include me in your generalizations.

Thanks

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
If Marc Bergevin trades Carey Price, he will get crucified. Unless it's a pretty lopsided deal for us, he won't do that.

Aside of that, I think there's 3 guys that MTL would want from Philly if it meant parting ways with Price.

Giroux
Couturier
Patrick

If not one of them is included, Montreal will pass. And I don't think Philly would want to trade either of them.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Carey Price is the missing key for the Flyers to have success in the playoff. The Flyers management need to stop to try to patch the problem between the pipes and acquire the best of the best. Carey Price is exactly that, he would absolutely thrive in Philadelphia will less media and fans pressure. Contract is a problem for sure, and the Canadiens management isnt competent enough to trade him - but it's a matter of time before they realize they are 3-4 years away from competition. They should absolutely look to trade him with all the youngster tenders down the pipe (Primeau, Hawkey, Fucale, Lindgren, McNiven).

Price value isnt very high because of his bad season, but he just has too much talent not to bounce back next year. Philly have lot of pieces that would interest Montréal with all their young kid at the blueline and down the middle.

Montréal can also afford to take back bad contracts like Jori Lehtera, Dale Weise.

No matter what I propose, I will get flame but I'm gonna try and throw something to build around :

To Montréal:
Brian Elliott
Jori Lehtera
Dale Weise
Travis Koneckny
Samuel Morin
(12M$ in cap number)

To Philly:
Carey Price
(10M$ in cap number)

How can I say this nicely so I dont have moderators crying too me. HELL NO ! You have to be crazed to make that trade ! Soon to be 31 year old goalie.

"he would absolutely thrive in Philadelphia will less media and fans pressure"
Again, Crazy statement. You obviously dont know anything about Flyers fans/media in philly

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
How can I say this nicely so I dont have moderators crying too me. HELL NO ! You have to be crazed to make that trade ! Soon to be 31 year old goalie.

"he would absolutely thrive in Philadelphia will less media and fans pressure"
Again, Crazy statement. You obviously dont know anything about Flyers fans/media in philly

This isnt a good move, but our media isnt even comparable to Montreal.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Carey Price is the missing key for the Flyers to have success in the playoff.

have you looked at Carey Price playoff stats?

he is not the key to flyers playoff success....he wouldn't have taken the flyers any further then they went this season

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Montreal doesn't want to give up Price, Philly doesn't want to give up Konecny. No one says yes
Konecnys 1 pt in 5 games will sure be missed. Lol. He's a lost puppy off the top line. Your team needs goaltending but refuses to address it. Wake up.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
The only "established" goalies that the Flyers would trade for are ones that have no more than 2 years left on their contracts.

Price is not happening.
So youre essentially concluding that unproven carter hart is the solution? Hah. Okay. Except guys like Giroux and voracek will only be 2 years away from their prime. The cup window is now.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Funny how Habs fans keep trying to sell Price, Weber, and Patches at ridiculous prices and nobody wants to buy them.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So youre essentially concluding that unproven carter hart is the solution? Hah. Okay. Except guys like Giroux and voracek will only be 2 years away from their prime. The cup window is now.

The cup window is not now.

I always love when fans of other teams try to pretend like they understand a teams position.

Reactions: Jray42

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Okay please let me know how your team plans on addressing the issue of a starting goalie.
By waiting for Carter Hart, arguably a top 3 goalie prospect in the world. If he doesn't pan out, we also have Sandstrom and Ustimenko we're high on.

Why do I need to explain this to you anyway? We aren't interested in Price, and other posters have discussed in detail as to why over, and over, and over again in this thread. If we target a goalie, we'd target a decent starter with 2-3 years left on his contract at a reasonable rate, which obviously isn't Price. We can't afford to pay Price's contract, he has zero value to us with that price tag considering other players we will have to sign in the future.

What is so hard for you to comprehend? I mean, thanks for telling us what we need, even though you obviously have zero clue as to the Flyers situation. Want to keep Price? That's fine. Want to trade him? That's fine too, but you'll have to find a different trade partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->