Proposal: Philly and Montréal are ideal trade partners. Let's make things work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
"Hey you're a young up-and-coming team with a deep goalie pipeline and a lot of players on ELCs who are going to need sizable raises shortly, a $10.5 million veteran goalie sounds like exactly what you're looking for."

Reactions: Devonator

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
The problem is that there is no way to make Price to Philly work. You’re starting from a flawed premise, and displaying a lack of understanding of the Flyers’ timeline, prospect pool, and future cap situation.

Our goaltending solution is going to come from within. It will probably be Carter Hart, though others prefer Felix Sandstrom or Kirill Ustimenko, and there are those who haven’t lost faith in Anthony Stolarz, Alex Lyon, and Matej Tomek. If Hexy wants to make some noise in the postseason before one of our prospects takes the reins, he’ll acquire a stopgap guy, and that stopgap would have to be concretely better than Elliott, Neuvirth, or Mrazek; otherwise, we’re wasting assets. Montréal doesn’t have that kind of guy. Frankly, I’m not sure anyone does, except possibly Washington if they’re ready to move ahead with Grubauer.

If Philly and Montréal are going to make a deal, it’ll be a smaller one that results in Philly adding a depth forward. That’s the hole in our roster the Habs are in a position to patch.

Agree. Good post. Trading for Price doesn’t fit the mentality Hextall has displayed. He’s clearly banking on solving the long term goaltending issues thru the draft and not via other options.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I remember then Habs fans piled on Jets cuz they needed Price otherwise they would not make the playoff yada yada, nice jinx.

Enjoy solid goaltending next season Philly =)

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Trading for Price is a good way to anchor your team with a massive contract you don't need for a ton of years

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
Are people just going to ignore how awful the defense was in front of Neuvirth today? Like the 3 goals I remember can be blamed squarely on Gudas and Provorov.
Provorov was injured heading into that game. He likely wouldn't have played if it wasn't an elimination game

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Price needs to have one helluva bounce back season next year, we're talking 100% healthy and repeat his Hart & Vezina season to have any hope of having value in a trade

Having said that I honestly think Price is done in Montreal, everything was just too cryptic at the end of the season with him coming back from injury to play the last few games to get the record and getting emotional when talking about the fans. Then Bergevin continues to throw him under the bus like he did with PK leading up to his trade to try and shift the blame to a popular player for not having the right attitude in the locker room.

Combination of cap dumps and picks/prospects. Back home to BC would be my 1st guess, if you're not going to compete might as well be around family with 2 youngins and lots of cash with the Sedins off the books

Feb 24, 2017
Carey Price is the missing key for the Flyers to have success in the playoff. The Flyers management need to stop to try to patch the problem between the pipes and acquire the best of the best. Carey Price is exactly that, he would absolutely thrive in Philadelphia will less media and fans pressure. Contract is a problem for sure, and the Canadiens management isnt competent enough to trade him - but it's a matter of time before they realize they are 3-4 years away from competition. They should absolutely look to trade him with all the youngster tenders down the pipe (Primeau, Hawkey, Fucale, Lindgren, McNiven).

Price value isnt very high because of his bad season, but he just has too much talent not to bounce back next year. Philly have lot of pieces that would interest Montréal with all their young kid at the blueline and down the middle.

Montréal can also afford to take back bad contracts like Jori Lehtera, Dale Weise.

No matter what I propose, I will get flame but I'm gonna try and throw something to build around :

To Montréal:
Brian Elliott
Jori Lehtera
Dale Weise
Travis Koneckny
Samuel Morin
(12M$ in cap number)

To Philly:
Carey Price
(10M$ in cap number)
Still counting Fucale as a prospect when he’s 23? He’s not “in the pipe” but you should put yours down.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Still counting Fucale as a prospect when he’s 23? He’s not “in the pipe” but you should put yours down.
That’s pretty funny

Fucale is probably one of those guys who will put it together later in life like Tim Thomas or Dubnyk but he’s not on my radar as a prospect anymore

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
We of all clubs know that people can bounce back, but Price is now at the start of an $80m contract and he’s declined now for years. He has a full NMC and you think he has any real value?

I have no interest. Unless he rebounds to become a star again that is going to be an anchor of a contract for years to come.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Price needs to have one helluva bounce back season next year, we're talking 100% healthy and repeat his Hart & Vezina season to have any hope of having value in a trade

Having said that I honestly think Price is done in Montreal, everything was just too cryptic at the end of the season with him coming back from injury to play the last few games to get the record and getting emotional when talking about the fans. Then Bergevin continues to throw him under the bus like he did with PK leading up to his trade to try and shift the blame to a popular player for not having the right attitude in the locker room.

Combination of cap dumps and picks/prospects. Back home to BC would be my 1st guess, if you're not going to compete might as well be around family with 2 youngins and lots of cash with the Sedins off the books
Nope. No chance in hell he’s coming to Vancouver.

Zero.

Nada.

Never.

Ever.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Nope. No chance in hell he’s coming to Vancouver.

Zero.

Nada.

Never.

Ever.
I would never say never to anything with our muppet GM, not sure how you can say it with yours based on past deals

Maybe that's why we were rumoured to be looking at Ericsson...

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
Carey Price is the missing key for the Flyers to have success in the playoff. The Flyers management need to stop to try to patch the problem between the pipes and acquire the best of the best.
(10M$ in cap number)
I just vomited....

This would be a great trade, the Habs are trash, so are the Flyers. Send Price for 10M to Philly where Hextall quests to find someone as good as he thinks he was. The Habs get Ghost and immediately send him to the AHL for 2 years, then trade him like Sergachev.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Price is only getting traded if he wants to get traded he has a complete no move .

Although MB is kind of giving him the pre Subban trade treatment(try to tarnish player via media to soften the blow) so who knows lol

Price would probably want to go out west closer to home or Stl kind of fits .

Either way Price is not going anywhere because his contract and injury history ruins value

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Carey Price is the missing key for the Flyers to have success in the playoff. The Flyers management need to stop to try to patch the problem between the pipes and acquire the best of the best. Carey Price is exactly that, he would absolutely thrive in Philadelphia will less media and fans pressure. Contract is a problem for sure, and the Canadiens management isnt competent enough to trade him - but it's a matter of time before they realize they are 3-4 years away from competition. They should absolutely look to trade him with all the youngster tenders down the pipe (Primeau, Hawkey, Fucale, Lindgren, McNiven).

Price value isnt very high because of his bad season, but he just has too much talent not to bounce back next year. Philly have lot of pieces that would interest Montréal with all their young kid at the blueline and down the middle.

Montréal can also afford to take back bad contracts like Jori Lehtera, Dale Weise.

No matter what I propose, I will get flame but I'm gonna try and throw something to build around :

To Montréal:
Brian Elliott
Jori Lehtera
Dale Weise
Travis Koneckny
Samuel Morin
(12M$ in cap number)

To Philly:
Carey Price
(10M$ in cap number)

It starts with a 1st, Morin and Patrick. Don’t like it, then beat it.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I'm pretty sure OP is a Montreal fan.

As other Flyers fans have stated so far, Price's contract is just too much to handle. And we have Carter Hart coming in a couple of years.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
It starts with a 1st, Morin and Patrick. Don’t like it, then beat it.

If you read the thread first you'd know that the original proposal you quoted was from a Habs fan, and that every single Flyers fan has already stated they want no part of Price. So saying you want even more for him when there were no takers for the first offer? Pretty pointless .

Reactions: Devonator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->