Player Discussion Phillip Danault's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
I have been debating with friends on what Phillip Danault's next contract should look like. They are saying he will be in the 4.5 to 5 million range for 5 years while I am saying in the 3.5 range for 3 or 4 years.

What are other's thinking?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I have been debating with friends on what Phillip Danault's next contract should look like. They are saying he will be in the 4.5 to 5 million range for 5 years while I am saying in the 3.5 range for 3 or 4 years.

What are other's thinking?

It's hard to guess what MB might do.
I'm with you on thus one but 3 years only.
Let him earn a raise 4.5 or so for his next contract.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
longer term at a level of 3.5-3.75 is a good deal for the Canadiens. I doubt he'll decline and that's about what his 40-45 point production is worth. But he has the upside to get even more points and he's very good defensively. I could see him trying to get 4 or 4.5.

Reactions: voyageur

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I think he will know the Habs are desperate at centre and could very well take them to the cleaners if he wanted to. I don't imagine he would but it's possible.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
longer term at a level of 3.5-3.75 is a good deal for the Canadiens. I doubt he'll decline and that's about what his 40-45 point production is worth. But he has the upside to get even more points and he's very good defensively. I could see him trying to get 4 or 4.5.
Danault does not have offensive upside. He’s exactly what we see 40-45 pts max and that’s playing with talented forwards.
No way he gets more than Gallagher.
3 million a year, 4 years is generous

Reactions: WG

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lars Eller type money...3.5 mil per season

That's what I am thinking as well. I would give him a 8 year deal at $4M though. Takes him from age 26-33. I think Danault is a key piece for us in the middle 2 center spot and I like his game. I suspect both sides will settle at a 5 or 6 year deal somewhere between $3.5M and $4M AAV. I would however push the 8 year deal at the best AAV I can get.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Danault does not have offensive upside. He’s exactly what we see 40-45 pts max and that’s playing with talented forwards.

I agree Danault offensive ability is limited to who he plays with but he has great all around game and we need him in our middle 2 center spot. As far as Gallagher's contract, that was signed in 2014 and we can't compare Danault next contract to that at this stage.

His age is key. He is 25 and I would go for a 6 year deal at least taking him age 30+. You can't sign everybody to 3 or 4 year deals... it will burn you overtime IMO. If you don't see Danault as a solid Middle 2 center today, then I understand why not to commit. But if you do, get him locked up through his prime years please.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

If he can pt up 40 - 45 points as a 24 year old, it's definitely possible for him to do better in the future.

... Gallagher signed his deal when the cap was lower, so it was a higher percentage. Gallagher took a lower cap hit for the assurance of a lower deal. No way a hear and soul player who was on pace for 30 goals is worth 3.75. He's a bargain, not market value.

imo Danault is already better than Eller, and on the upswing. The conversation should start at 3.5.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
probably short term around 3-3.5m

I see his ceiling being Backlund right now which is awesome but he's not worth that right now and dont know that he can reach that. Only time will tell

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
I have been debating with friends on what Phillip Danault's next contract should look like. They are saying he will be in the 4.5 to 5 million range for 5 years

LOL....are you kidding?

no way he is worth 4-5mil a season......but then again look at what MB gave to alzner, so i guess anything is possible

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I can see him getting 4M a season if he pushed for it, hopefully we can get him for 3.5M. That said the cap is going up and 3.5M was how much high end 3Cs were getting before (Eller etc.).

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
LOL....are you kidding?

no way he is worth 4-5mil a season......but then again look at what MB gave to alzner, so i guess anything is possible

He's a 25 year old who had his best season last year at 40 points. His biggest plus is that he's a great even strength scorer regardless of who he plays with. But he has shown zero skill on the powerplay and is just a good contributor.

Paying a guy like that $5M is asking for him to be hated and eventually bought out.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
2.5 to 3.5 in there somewhere...........no way he should surpass the 3.5 mark...

Give him 5 yrs and 15M and call it a day.........he will struggle to put up points, because he should be on the 3rd line.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
With the quality.. or lack of.. of our centers.. he will have leverage to get something around 4M$ IMO. But he should be in the ~3.5M$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->