Prospect Info: Philip Nyberg (2016, 129th) – '18-19: UConn #26 (NCAA)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Nyberg was a +1 and registered an assist and 3 SOG in UConn's next game vs Brown, as they won the Desert Hockey Classic.
Freshman Philip Nyberg (Linkoping, Sweden) picked-up his first collegiate point, registering an assist on Kalter’s game-winning goal.
The Huskies made it 2-1 at 10:06 as Kalter picked-up his second on the season. Nyberg fired on net from just inside the blue line, seeing his shot blocked. Naas looked to redirect the rebound but Kalter was able to collect the loose puck at the right post and slide it in for a 2-1 lead.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Fast-forwarded through parts of UConn-Yale today, a game which Yale controlled (36-13 SOG) and won 4-2. Nyberg looked to be bit a clumsy/sloppy early in this one with some giveaways. He is getting regular PP time already though, as demonstrated on his PIM and generous assist below. The third gfy there is his minus (-1) on the 4-2 Yale goal early in the third period.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Nyberg taken into boards, seemed harmless, down in right corner, maybe legs collided or tangled .. needed assistance off the ice favoring left leg and into the locker room .. no point watching this game any further .. he did have several shot attempts prior to this though.

nyberg-down.png

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Nyberg's not out for the year. He missed six games, returning three weeks later. He then played in four games, registering an assist, 10 SOG, and a +4, before sitting the next three games. However, Nyberg's back in the lineup once again today, as UConn trails UML 1-0 with eight minutes to go. Three shot attempts and a minus thus far.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Rough season for Nyberg with the ankle and then being in and out of the lineup most of the year. Surprisingly +8 (half in one game against Vermont), but still only 20 games played. It seems reasonable that his issues may have involved the damage to his ankle.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I had Paul Hamilton translate the above tweet:
"We finish the week with another new acquisition in the form of the 22-year-old Philip Nyberg who returns home to Sweden after three seasons in the US. Welcome to Mora IK!"

Reactions: kummelweck

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I dont even remember this guy. I hadn't even read this thread til now. When I clicked on it I was on the first page, original post.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Leaving the United States for Sweden

The Linköpingsfostrade Nyberg has decided to continue his career with Mora IK in HockeyAllsvenskan.
- I know Mora is a very good city. I have been here during Vasaloppet earlier and got a very good picture. I think I can contribute with very offensive, but also defensive and keep ahead of goal if needed, says Nyberg himself to the club's website.
PhilipNyberg1200x1200.jpg

The 22-year-old was drafted by Buffalo Sabers in the fifth round of 2016 but has not yet signed any NHL contract. In addition to college games for the past three years, Nyberg has also tested some matches in the US Junior League, USHL, meanwhile in the US.
13 points in 70 matches

In the college game there have been a total of 13 points in 70 matches for Nyberg's part. But now it becomes Mora and the contract is written over the next season.
- A large, two-way back which, despite its size, is both skates and technical. We are pleased that Philip chose Mora, says the club director Peter Hermodsson in a statement.

Svenske backbjässen lämnar Nordamerika och flyttar hem igen – här är nya laget

FYI, Mora IK is the second Tier league in Sweeden. Honestly, it probably makes more sense for these guys to stay over there and develop after draft than try and come over and play Jr or college.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Svenske backbjässen lämnar Nordamerika och flyttar hem igen – här är nya laget

FYI, Mora IK is the second Tier league in Sweeden. Honestly, it probably makes more sense for these guys to stay over there and develop after draft than try and come over and play Jr or college.

Well, they have another year to look at him and he to try to impress enough for a contract. I do wonder if the admissions issue with Wisconsin had worked out if he'd have been better off. Or if he hadn't broken his ankle badly in his 2nd season with the Huskies - it looked gruesome, but he managed to come back before the end of the year.

He still has a big frame and is a right handed shot. It'll be interesting to see how he performs in Allsvensken. We can hope, right?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Well, they have another year to look at him and he to try to impress enough for a contract. I do wonder if the admissions issue with Wisconsin had worked out if he'd have been better off. Or if he hadn't broken his ankle badly in his 2nd season with the Huskies - it looked gruesome, but he managed to come back before the end of the year.

He still has a big frame and is a right handed shot. It'll be interesting to see how he performs in Allsvensken. We can hope, right?

Yep. Still within an acceptable development arch of a 5th rounder.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad