Proposal: Philadelphia/ Ottawa

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think 29 other teams could do better.
Honestly it doesn’t seem like it.

It’s about what Ottawa wants. Do they want picks and prospects because they are rebuilding? Or are they trying to compete this year in order to save face on the Duchene trade and draft pick?

I’m thinking they want to retool their system. I already said I would start any offer for Karlsson with #14 and 2019 1st rounder (no protection). Then add from there. The 14th is a much better pick than Vegas was offering at the deadline. And they got him for two playoff runs if the deal went through. Now he has one season/playoffs. Lebrun even mentioned this in an article. He said that Ottawa might have been better off taking the deal at the deadline. He doesn’t think better offers will come from teams bidding.

Also, any trade offer can be “beat” by another team. It’s if a team is actually willing to do that. Which almost always is a no.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Pageau seems to be overlooked in this thread. I don't think he's quite worth #14, but it's not a world of difference. Even if you don't agree with me, just humour me.

Karlsson is worth more than Sanheim and Patrick.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
As An Ottawa fan I'd take that in a heartbeat. Even if it was Konecny instead of Patrick I'd still accept it, but I'd rather Patrick

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Pageau seems to be overlooked in this thread. I don't think he's quite worth #14, but it's not a world of difference. Even if you don't agree with me, just humour me.

Perhaps, but not to us considering the massive extension we'd have to give Karlsson IF he even signs with us.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd pass and Ottawa will not get a better offer than that. An unsigned Karlsson will get a lot less than you think.
I think the deal offered is about where the Karlsson trade will go because it won’t happen until July 1, so the team trading for him get him extended as part of the deal. Karlsson will basically pick his UFA destination this year. He won’t have the ability to shop as well as he could next July2019, but he will get out of Ott on his terms.

This proposal doesn’t take into account Phillys holes and strengths.

They can’t move a center, but Ghost is essentially being upgraded so switch Patrick for ghost and take out Sanheim.

Ghost Rubistov and 14 for Karlsson and Pageau.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
There’s just no way. I personally think Patrick is a 80 pt center in a year or two. If given ice time, sanhiem could be a 40-50 guy that plus whoever the flyers scouts deem worthy is way too big for one year of one player. You don’t need to have a number one D to win anymore. You need 2x 1C and 1x 2C. If he flyers don’t do this trade they likely have that.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I'm stunned there's a single Ottawa fan saying "pass" to that package

As a Flyers fan: pass. Patrick is a no-go.

On the surface I would certainly rather have Karlsson than the Flyers package in this deal. While I believe Patrick will be a good player I've never been a believer in him having elite potential. That said, I expect this offer to be better than any package Ottawa will get in real life.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

a signed Karlsson yes, an unsigned Karlsson who's a UFA in 1 year? no. that is a massive overpayment.

no team will gut their future for 1 year of Karlsson. man are Sens fans in for a shock when EK gets traded.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
a signed Karlsson yes, an unsigned Karlsson who's a UFA in 1 year? no. that is a massive overpayment.

no team will gut their future for 1 year of Karlsson. man are Sens fans in for a shock when EK gets traded.
We know we are. We don't want this to happen but here we are. Excuse us for wanting as much as possible for the best player in our franchise's history.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa

The reason EK hasn’t been traded already is predicated on the plan to:

1) try to sign him on July 1 and see if he will do so

2) if he will not sign, allow other teams the ability to speak with him about an extension and do a sign and trade

Once the Sens know he won’t be re-signing they will almost certainly allow other teams to talk extension with him as part of the trading process. It would be senseless to trade him without allowing teams to do so.

Reactions: Sensung

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
We know we are. We don't want this to happen but here we are. Excuse us for wanting as much as possible for the best player in our franchise's history.

i don't fault you guys. it's a shitty position to be in. happened to us with Lindros. it's not fun.

The reason EK hasn’t been traded already is predicated on the plan to:

1) try to sign him on July 1 and see if he will do so

2) if he will not sign, allow other teams the ability to speak with him about an extension and do a sign and trade

Once the Sens know he won’t be re-signing they will almost certainly allow other teams to talk extension with him as part of the trading process. It would be senseless to trade him without allowing teams to do so.

sign and trade is definitely the way to go, if they can. as i said, no team is gonna give you much for 1 year, but if there's an extension in place, it'll improve the package significantly.

Reactions: Sureves

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
What if Patrick is replaced with Frost?

Personally, I have little interest in Karlsson if it means killing our depth. I like our stockpile of young players and would rather they just grow together. Nothing against Karlsson. He is obviously great. I just like our young nucleus and don't want it weakened. So no, I would not.

Edit: Also full disclosure I'm much higher on Sanheim than most. So trading him is a tough thought for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: olli and pmwlker

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
i don't fault you guys. it's a ****ty position to be in. happened to us with Lindros. it's not fun.

sign and trade is definitely the way to go, if they can. as i said, no team is gonna give you much for 1 year, but if there's an extension in place, it'll improve the package significantly.

Agreed. It would take truly terrible ownership/management to trade Karlsson without allowing him and the other team to work out an extension before the trade.

Then again we do have such ownership so who knows!

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Who’s the one team that couldn’t? Must be in bad shape.
29 teams would do better +
1 Phila. team that did not do better +
1 Ottawa team that can't trade EK to Ottawa
31 NHL teams

As proposed, Patrick makes this a no trade. If including Frost instead of Patrick, I probably still decline. If this is a trade after July 1st, Frost instead of Patrick probably gets the trade done.

Preference would be to just trade for EK from Ottawa. If there are additional contracts moving from Ottawa, rather exclude Pageau and include Ryan, theoretically lowering the value the Flyers have to pay.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I would imagine any deal would likely have to have Ghost as the centerpiece going back the other way

In order for us to get the most out of an Erik Karlsson on the Flyers, he would need to be THE man on the PP.

Reactions: phlocky

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I would imagine any deal would likely have to have Ghost as the centerpiece going back the other way

In order for us to get the most out of an Erik Karlsson on the Flyers, he would need to be THE man on the PP.
This has been discussed on our board but trading Ghost for Karlsson defeats the purpose of getting Karlsson. We should be building an elite defense. Not subtracting to add another.

I would gladly take back Ryan too if it meant the trade was 2 first rounders+ Sanheim (A prospect) and another pick. Similar to what Vegas and Ottawa were discussing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad