OT: Philadelphia 76ers: Taking Our Talents To The Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
No. Those kids in barcelona already knew who magic and larry and michael were. Stern promoted his starts more than anyone.

They may have known who the players were, and maybe saw some pictures and film clips, but not many people around the world had a chance to actually see them play until the Olympics opened up to professionals. And that team didn't just show up there to play the games, they went out and did PR. They were probably the first global ambassadors for the sport. Sure the league promoted its stars, but that was a huge part of it- especially globally.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The biggest factor was Stern getting the NBA so far ahead of the other sports with regard to control and equity of the league as a brand. That does go as far back as the early 80s, but it had relatively little to do with Magic, Bird, and Erving as global entities.

None of this happens without Jordan and Nike. And you needed both of them. Stern laid the groundwork to take advantage of having him. Jordan and Nike drove the runs in.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The biggest factor was Stern getting the NBA so far ahead of the other sports with regard to control and equity of the league as a brand. That does go as far back as the early 80s, but it had relatively little to do with Magic, Bird, and Erving as global entities.

None of this happens without Jordan and Nike. And you needed both of them. Stern laid the groundwork to take advantage of having him. Jordan and Nike drove the runs in.

And none of it happens if the IOC doesn't allow the best players in the world to play in their sandbox.

And I would argue that the NFL was well ahead of the NBA regarding the bolded, but nobody outside the US (and some Canadians) cares.

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
And none of it happens if the IOC doesn't allow the best players in the world to play in their sandbox.

And I would argue that the NFL was well ahead of the NBA regarding the bolded, but nobody outside the US (and some Canadians) cares.

You'd be surprised how huge the NFL is in Canada.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Yep. The Dream Team was the ultimate tipping point. I just don't think it has the same resonance without Jordan, nor Jordan without Nike. Magic and Bird were past their primes and they needed an heir apparent for marketing. I know Jordan famously turned down the C, but he's still the one that caught on. Stars sell and the NBA has a product where stars win on top of it.

In regard to the business end of things, as fantastic of a job guys like Rozelle did, Stern's approach in the 80s is something they still use as an exemplar in business schools. There weren't many corporations with as fine of an understanding of brand image or as tight of a control on it, let alone sports leagues.

Hell, the most impressive part of what Stern did was that he mostly used other people's money. He created all sorts of side events to keep the league in view with minimal financial investment. They were really the first league to prioritize trained businesspeople, although that wasn't until the 90s. Basically, Stern started running a modern corporation around 1984. The NFL was catching on quickly, but they didn't leverage it nearly as well for quite a few more years.

Last edited:
Reactions: JackStraw

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Some interesting stuff from Brown. Talks about going to the West Bank with Jay Wright to hold a basketball clinic for Palestinian and Isreali kids. Among othe things.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
If he doesn't get ROY...I am going to be livid.

I hope they give it to donovan mitchell.

This will create such a fire in simmons that he will work so hard in the summer to begin fixing his one and only weakness. Shooting...

His shooting is the only thing holding him back from MVP level production in the NBA, not only an all star, but he could actually become the best player in the league with an AVERAGE outside shot/free throw shot.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I hope they give it to donovan mitchell.

This will create such a fire in simmons that he will work so hard in the summer to begin fixing his one and only weakness. Shooting...

His shooting is the only thing holding him back from MVP level production in the NBA, not only an all star, but he could actually become the best player in the league with an AVERAGE outside shot/free throw shot.

This is what Mike Levin on the RTRS podcast keeps saying. He theorizes that a ROY Award to Mitchell would push Simmons to Lebron territory.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
"But... but... Simmons isn't a rookie! Because he was in a cast watching film last year!" smh

I could ‘t care less who wins the ROTY to be honest....what did it ever do for MCW and the sixers?

The question is this...who will be the best player from this year’s rookie class in their career? Simmons, if he fixes his shot to be mediocre, will be a perennial MVPcandidate year in and year out. Can we say that about ANY player from the 2017 class?

IF Simmons loses ROTY , so be it, because the sixers will be the winners in the long run.

Reactions: Jtown

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I could ‘t care less who wins the ROTY to be honest....what did it ever do for MCW and the sixers?

The question is this...who will be the best player from this year’s rookie class in their career? Simmons, if he fixes his shot to be mediocre, will be a perennial MVPcandidate year in and year out. Can we say that about ANY player from the 2017 class?

IF Simmons loses ROTY , so be it, because the sixers will be the winners in the long run.

I don't think he will ever be a shooter, but He has to shoot 80 percent from the line or else he is going to be a terrible option for pg. He is very scared to take it to the hole in traffic for fear of going to the fouline. His free throw attempts are putrid for such a physical specimen.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

Suckered the Bucks into trading the Sixers the 1st round pick of the Lakers? Kept him in the league despite being a replacement level player on any decent team, and a $2.7 salary for the current year.

But generally, yeah, totally agree. The replied to comment is a bit short sighted. If Hinkie taught us anything, it's to have the best long view in the room.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

I won't lose any sleep if he doesn't win it, but he does deserve it. And I don't think he really needs the motivation, he already seems like a pretty motivated guy.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I want to know how many triple double there have ever been where there's less points scored than the # of dimes & boards

www.basketball-reference.com is likely the source of information for your inquiry, ymmv.

But with a quick google search - Draymond Green last year against the Grizz scored a triple double with less than 10 points, thus qualifying at least one for you. 4 points, 12 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 steals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->