Phil Kessel

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by nomorekids, Sep 27, 2006.

1. nomorekids

nomorekids The original, baby

Home Page:
    So, I'm watching the Bruins\Rangers preseason game, and I have to say that I was at one time a huge Kessel fan...but was a little underwhelmed by his play for the Gophers and for team USA at the last WJC. That's not to say he wasn't good...but he left me wanting more.

Well, my faith may be restored. He's been the best player on the ice all night for either team, and I love seeing him use his passing ability\use his teammates. He seems to have great chemistry with Bergeron, as well. His speed looks good, he looks stronger on the puck and more aware of what's going on around him than ever before, and I think he's going to be a nice calder nominee this year.

2. robert terwilliger

robert terwilliger the bart, the

handsomest man here
    i still can't believe that he fell to the bruins at 5.

3. Heat McManus

Heat McManus Registered User

He's definately had some bright moments tonight, but I think the "best player on the ice award" goes to Dubinsky so far.

4. Abyss

Abyss GO BRUINS

Designer
    I can't believe it's not on TV...........c'mon NESN Red Sox are out!! show preseason hockey!

yeah..right.

Great news to hear though!

5. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers White guilt milquetoast piece of human garbage. Sponsor

Corporate Drone
    Kessel looks flat out amazing.

But I think that Dubinsky has been the best player on the ice. The kid is a STUD. It's insane that he and Dawes were left off the top 50. Insane.

Dawes looks awesome as well.

6. Hemooli

Hemooli Registered User

Accountant
    Home Page:
    On draft day, I was almost surprised that he didn't drop down further than #5 due to the potential risk in drafting him. Today, he looks quite good.

However, I'll reserve any change in judgement for the regular season.

7. Heat McManus

Kessel showed that he can use his speed to create room for himself. He lost the puck a few times and made a some passes that were pretty much straight into traffic, but he definately shows why he's a top pick.

Dubinsky looked dominant at times and made the best of his time on the ice. The only player I was disappointed in was Chara. He had a pretty aweful game.

8. 13Hockey

13Hockey Go B's

Great to hear kessel doing so well he should make boston have a very good top 6

9. Heat McManus

It looked like he wasn't really finding his place on the PP. He was playing the right side from what I saw which really doesn't utilize his skills.

#66 Registered User

Home Page:
    IMO PK showed some very good individual skills, as usual, but only had one good shift. He didn't play bad but the Kessel hype machine seems to be in overdrive again. Its good to see that he seems stronger on the puck than in the past.

One player that really impressed me was Fedor Tutin. Where did those hip checks come from?

11. I absolutely LOVE Brandon Dubinsky as a hockey player.

I also love how seamless a transition the Rangers made from relying on money to relying on brains. How did they get so many good young players so quickly? *******s. I hate them. :madfire:

12. reidy

reidy @reidjjackson

Advertising
    Home Page:
    This thread makes me feel all warm inside.

13. ...

: tries incredibly hard to not make joke :

14. reidy

reidy @reidjjackson

Advertising
    Home Page:
    Hey, give me a break. The Red Sox suck, the Patriots don't look very good, and I could care less about the Celtics. Bruins hockey is all I have left. :yo:

15. Skroob*

Skroob* Guest

i just got back from the game, and yes, he did look good out there.

16. Le Golie

Le Golie ...

I wouldn't say he was the best player on the ice. He had a fine game. He was strong on the puck and more creative when he drove to the net. He will find success if he keeps that up.

There was a Bruin giveaway in their own zone early in the second period that he made a really lazy play on. Either really lazy or terrible awareness.... everyone in the building saw the puck was going to be intercepted before it got to him but he didn't make any attempt to get to the man who was about to cut it off. His coach has to be worried about things like that, but I didn't see it happening regularly so it's not a big deal.

He's still a kid who has yet to play a real game yet, but there is a lot to be excited about. He has some great skills and seems to be finding new ways to do old things, which is really what he needs to do to make it big. Best player on the ice tonight is a stretch, but he is getting better every time out from what I have seen.

17. BelovedIsles

BelovedIsles Registered User

Professional Islander Fan
    What I have been impressed with tonight was his strength along the boards. He protected the puck well and held his own. He looks bigger and stronger than when I saw him with Minne. And rarely got knocked off or over, that's more than I can say for most rookies and stands out to me as particular.

He wasn't all about end-to-end highlight reel rushes, he tried that "rah rah stuff" a little, but spent his time valuably in the grinding behind the net setting up guys in front, which he must do to excel.

Now if he can combine this and augment it with his gamebreaking capabilities...hmmm.

18. xander

xander Registered User

Home Page:
    You've seen the episode of Seinfeld where George's girlfirend gets mano and he gets smarter because there is no possiblity of sex? :)

Truth be told, I think alot of it has to do with Sather relinqueshing most of the GM duties to Don Maloney. Though Sather must be credited for making the decision to change the direction of the franchise and to step back and others hold the reins.

19. FLYLine27*

FLYLine27* BUCH

PO

Tytuin every game this preseason has been throwing hipchecks. I guess playing with Kasparaitis last year some of Kaspar rubbed off on him ;). But yea...he has looked better so far then last season.

20. pitseleh

pitseleh Registered User

No kidding, they went from a team with few good prospects to a top 10, arguably top 5 team in terms of prospects, over a few short years. Definitely not fair.

21. xander

xander Registered User

Home Page:
    and, might I add, with only 1 top ten pick. And none inside the top 5.:D

22. pitseleh

pitseleh Registered User

Sure, rub it in our faces. I would have thought that stealing Lundqvist in the 7th would have been enough for you to brag about. :D

23. xander

xander Registered User

Home Page:
    come now, it's been along time since we've had anything to brag about. So I feel justified in engaging in alittle good natured horn tooting every now and then. :)

Still, it's not like they've won anything yet, so it's best to keep it ocasional.

24. A long time? 1994?

What about 1967 or 1961? Or NEVER!!!! :banghead:

:D

25. TheRedressor

TheRedressor Registered User

The Rangers prospect that is definetly underated has to be Chris THE FORT Holt. He is the future of the franchise