Phil Kessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
How good is he? In an exhibition game in Russia today, with only 13 team USA players dressed and the Russian backup goalie in the USA nets (Almost half of Team USA's gear didn't make it in time), Kessel scored two goals. This guy is having a great season so far, maybe the best ever in NTDP history? Any insight from those who've seen him play? Thanks.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Mobey said:
Moosefan? Dr. Chimera? Rabid Ranger? Cagney?

I saw him play quite a few times prior to the NTDP. He has very quick hands and feet, and is a real sniper when he gets a scoring chance.

One big problem I had with him though was that he was a real cherry picker. He would circle around his own blue line, pounce on loose pucks and then be off to the races. In open ice, he was very good. However, he would not go into the traffic areas at all, either with or without the puck.

Another peeve I had was that he was a very slightly built kid but wore equipment that made him look even smaller. His pants were a size too small and his shoulder pads looked like pads from the 1930's. Maybe it made him faster and more streamlined, but it kind of accentuated the fact that he had no intention of playing any kind of physical game.

Bottom line: could be a spectacular college player, but will have to have much more grit to play beyond that.

BTW: There are several bad teams now in the NAHL, so as good a year as Kessel might be having, I wouldn't compare it to stats from past years. O'Sullivan had over a point per game in a considerably better NAHL at a time when he was a year younger than Kessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad