Phil Kessel and Erik Johnson who in the nhl do they project like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
just what the title says.........who will Kessel and Johnson compare to in the nhl.

not asking about points scored projections.......what nhlers will they be like.

Kessel I believe has the speed and shot of bure.......kind of a similar game too.

Johnson i think compares somewhat to Rob Blake......will hit when given the ability and will chip in with points as well.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Sounds about right to me. I cannot really remember but was Bure a good passer but just a better goal scorer? If not Kessel would be like Bure but a better passer leading to less goals.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
MN_Gopher said:
Sounds about right to me. I cannot really remember but was Bure a good passer but just a better goal scorer? If not Kessel would be like Bure but a better passer leading to less goals.

I wouldnt have called Bure a good passer.......he didnt pass that often......but he could snipe.......i would agree kessel might be a little better passer......maybe not quite as great of a sniper either though.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
To me, Kessel reminds me a lot of Mike Modano. Great speed, great shot.

Johnson reminds me of a mix between a Pronger and a Blake. Physical, but not over-commiting. Very solid and can be offensive.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
MN_Gopher said:

If Kessel could snipe anything LIKE Bure there'd be no doubt of his status as the consensus no. 1 overall. I'd say Mike Modano is a more apt comparison, Unless of course you guys meant Valeri Bure, then um, you know, like disregard everything I just said.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
SneakerPimp82 said:
If Kessel could snipe anything LIKE Bure there'd be no doubt of his status as the consensus no. 1 overall. I'd say Mike Modano is a more apt comparison, Unless of course you guys meant Valeri Bure, then um, you know, like disregard everything I just said.

Kessel CAN snipe like Bure. I realize that his goal output this year doesn't seem to reflect that, but he has that capacity.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
clay said:
To me, Kessel reminds me a lot of Mike Modano. Great speed, great shot.

Johnson reminds me of a mix between a Pronger and a Blake. Physical, but not over-commiting. Very solid and can be offensive.

Took the words right out of my mouth!!!!!
:yo:

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Erik Johnson is one of the most NHL ready defensemen to hit the draft in quite sometime...absolutely has the potential to shut down his side of the ice at any time. Decent offensive potential but I am more excited about his defensive play being so advanced for a kid his age. To me, that's quite rare.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Mallard said:
Kessel reminds me of Tony Amonte in his prime.
EJ reminds me alot of Eric Brewer, but a bit bigger and a bit better.

Dont take this personally but I hope your very wrong on both accords........I believe that both of these players will be much better then both Amonte and especially EJ head and shoulders above Brewer.

timmy12

Jun 25, 2005
Is Kessel projected to be a better wing or center in the NHL? I heard some people say that he would make a better wing, but has he ever even played wing before?

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
timmy12 said:
Is Kessel projected to be a better wing or center in the NHL? I heard some people say that he would make a better wing, but has he ever even played wing before?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that Kessel is thought of as a natural wing.

Redden Punches Faces*

Johnson - a more attractive Janne Laukkanen

Kessel - a poor mans Nelson Emerson

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
10.16.1974 said:
Erik Johnson is one of the most NHL ready defensemen to hit the draft in quite sometime...absolutely has the potential to shut down his side of the ice at any time. Decent offensive potential but I am more excited about his defensive play being so advanced for a kid his age. To me, that's quite rare.

Compare him defensively....how physical defensively would you say he is....would you say that he is as physical as someone like Blake....or more physical like stevens or phaneuf....or less physical more position oriented like lidstrom.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
10.16.1974 said:

I see a young Chris Pronger in Erik Johnson. Kind of gangly, a nice first step, great outlet pass, some slick moves, and some snarl.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
johnny_elbows said:
Kessel - a poor mans Nelson Emerson

Thanks for checking in Nelson...but Kessell & Emerson should never be mentioned in the same sentence. EVER.

I doubt Kessell's ceiling is a 170 pound wuss who never put up more than 33 goals. I think most scouts would agree Kessell's upside is slightly greater than Nelson Emerson... :p:

and Laukkanen???? :biglaugh:

Perhaps i missed your sarcasm....afterall, you did forget the :sarcasm:

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Rabid Ranger said:
I see a young Chris Pronger in Erik Johnson. Kind of gangly, a nice first step, great outlet pass, some slick moves, and some snarl.

I would tend to agree tools wise, although I don't think he has that often times otherwordly heavy shot Pronger has from the point...what I like on a different level about Johnson that I've seen is that he is so "hockey smart" for his age. He is never out of position it seems and his fundamentals are superb. If the Pens, for instance, have the opportunity they absolutely have to select him in the entry draft, he is exactly what they failed to address last off season.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Jackmans Domain said:
Thanks for checking in Nelson...but Kessell & Emerson should never be mentioned in the same sentence. EVER.

I doubt Kessell's ceiling is a 170 pound wuss who never put up more than 33 goals. I think most scouts would agree Kessell's upside is slightly greater than Nelson Emerson... :p:

and Laukkanen???? :biglaugh:

Perhaps i missed your sarcasm....afterall, you did forget the :sarcasm:
I don't think he really needed the :sarcasm: did he?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Phil-the-Thrill from my few viewings......I would suggest Maxim Afinegenov with a much better shot (which is what has always held MA back from being a huge sniper).

I guess I am not completely sold on EJ --I just don't know... I think I would say Chris Phillips is about as gracious as I will get at this point -which can be a good thing as long as you are not expecting him to be a phenom.

I am likely wrong on both accounts.. but that is what my gut says :)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
A Pronger/Blake combo is fair for EJ. He's a machine and he can do it all. He's tough, he's smart and he can make offensive plays.

Kessel reminds me of Selanne early in his career when he was that explosive skater with the wicked shot. I think Kessel also has the same type of skill set as Marion Gaborik, but they don't play similar styles.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I like the Brewer comparison more actually.. EJ is like a very, very good Brewer opposed to a Pronger comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad