Confirmed with Link: Phil Housley Hired as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Different set of equally crippling problems, outlined repeatedly in the last few pages.
I'm by no means saying Housley is a great coach. I wanted Babcock like everyone else, but let's not pretend that he won't get better. Hopefully he will learn plus he has Davis Payne and other experienced assistants to help. Firing someone that early into a tenure not only makes Buffalo as an absolute joke, but it also makes no one want to come work here. We haven't had a coach last longer than two years since..... Lindy Ruff. Ruff was available this summer and he hadn't coached barely anyone left in the organization at this point.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I'm by no means saying Housley is a great coach. I wanted Babcock like everyone else, but let's not pretend that he won't get better. Hopefully he will learn plus he has Davis Payne and other experienced assistants to help. Firing someone that early into a tenure not only makes Buffalo as an absolute joke, but it also makes no one want to come work here. We haven't had a coach last longer than two years since..... Lindy Ruff. Ruff was available this summer and he hadn't coached barely anyone left in the organization at this point.
The scarcity of these jobs mean that optics don't particularly matter. And if you believe the most grim among us, we don't have the avenues to top talent anyway, because Buffalo.

Housley has shown nothing beyond bailing on his scheme due to lack of personnel and instilling some coach by numbers low-event junk. I'd sure love to give him the benefit of the doubt, but "coach changing his stripes" stories are rare as hell.

What alarms me about the Phil hire is that unless he lied through his goddamn teeth or was hired specifically to be a defenseman whisperer, he never should have progressed this far. His tactics don't fit this team, and the roster is super far away from having the talent distribution to play his style.

We knew all this on the front end. At every step of his career, Housley has been rewarded for having better defensemen and giving them neon green lights.

At this point, I want to know where things broke down. I want to know exactly when and why the conversation got away from this forward group and a high-tempo team built around forechecking.

It's been three years since the tank and we still haven't *tried* playing the style Murray envisioned.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
At this point, I'm furious at Botterill for coming from a team that spent the past two seasons making chicken shit into chicken salad, only to hire Mr. "I don't know how to coach unless my defenseman are an order of magnitude better than my opponent's."

How Sullivan and the Penguins compensated for their defense was absolutely masterful, so of course we had to turn the dial the full 180.

Reactions: Sabretooth

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
You two are having a fun little debate...

But as it relates to a primary puck carrier in the ozone, for sure there is no hard bright line role, but if a line of Eichel, girgs and Kane are out, and over several shifts Eichel is not getting the puck quickly while the other two dangle around and try to make plays, heads will roll.

Maybe a better example is on a generic cycle, the two guys closest to the free puck should engage right away, but once you have control, most lines will try to shift into the best roles.

I gotta say the phrasing you use drives me nuts.

1) Like "two guys closest to the free puck should engage right away". What's the context? What created a situation that there was a "free puck" with two of our guys near it? Are we using an aggressive 2-1-2 forecheck and it lead to a turnover? You can call this nitpicking if you want. But its a terribly vague thus meaningless phrase that leaves me with questions on how that situation developed. Plus if this is part of your explanation for a "generic cycle" its flawed from the get go since we don't have the puck. which leads to ............

2) .....Cycling the puck occurs AFTER gaining control of the puck. Half of the bolded is talking about the forecheck. Not the same thing. And yes it matters. Like Dzone coverage and the breakout, one leads to the other but they're not the same thing. One is playing without the puck the other is playing with it.

2) What you describe with the bolded sounds like a PP puck retrieval then shifting to getting into PP positions or as you describe it "best roles". Thats not how it works 5v5.

So say you have a line of mcdavid maroon and strome. Mcdavid and maroon win a battle and start a cycle. At some point if given the time, maroon better get his big ass away from the puck and try to interfere all the way to the front of the net. And strome is gonna do his best to feed mcdavid the puck to make the decisive play, unless he gets a completely free chance. Mcdavid could therefore be looked at as the primary puck carrier or catalyst.

McDavid does what he does within the cycle because of his skill level not because he was assigned the non exisistant primary puck carrier role . I see we are trying to change the word used in an attempted to change the meaning intended. Struck's point was pretty clear that Sam was playing the primary puck carrier role and ROR was spotting off him. He also described them as playing the wing and center roles in the Ozone (not a thing). It was described in a way that sounded an awful lot like a point guard. Not something that exists 5v5 in hockey.

A generic cycle would be as follows... After the forecheck we have player with possession of the puck in the corner, another forward by the net and another up high near but above the face-off dot. Thats the rough outline of where guys would go once a puck is gained. Then the players move themselves and the puck to each of the points of that triangle they created trying to break down the defense. Thats a very simple cycle description. Obviously there are variations off this; it could be different set up with the 3 players at different points than the three I described. Or it could be a two man cycle with a guy at the net or up high , or the defense could be involved, etc. But there is no variant that includes the "primary puck mover"

Watch some clips of Girgs/Sam/Griffth. Many times they were able to run a textbook cycle. No one was carrying the puck more than anyone else. They were reading and reacted off each other perfectly. By doing that they were able to create chances and get to the net. None of those 3 really are the types to carrying the puck a lot within the cycle so they don't. Whereas a guy like Jack or McDavid would carry the puck more than those guys would. Its about the player's ability and skill set not an assigned role.

It’s obviously less focused for lines with even skill or close enough.

I'll go back to the Girgs/Sam/Griffith line and their ability to cycle the puck. Based on your attempt to bring this non existent role to life, you're arguing that the guy who is the "primary puck mover" is based on talent and the bigger the gap the more pronounced that role is. Well if Sam had that role with ROR (he didn't) he must of have had with the lesser players like Girgs/Griffith (He didn't). That i would hope gives you some insight into how foolish this idea is. One of the bigger oddities though is if this nonexistent role did exist. I find it incredibly odd that Sam would be chosen over ROR for it based on your parameters.

It could be looked at as a terminology difference, if your not nit picking.

Pointing out that a poster either inaccurately described something or described something that doesn't exist in hockey is not nitpicking. Its simply pointing out they're wrong. But I know us dumb old coaches can't understand anything unless you explain it with "coaching clinic" terms.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I gotta say the phrasing you use drives me nuts.

1) Like "two guys closest to the free puck should engage right away". What's the context? What created a situation that there was a "free puck" with two of our guys near it? Are we using an aggressive 2-1-2 forecheck and it lead to a turnover? You can call this nitpicking if you want. But its a terribly vague thus meaningless phrase that leaves me with questions on how that situation developed. Plus if this is part of your explanation for a "generic cycle" its flawed from the get go since we don't have the puck. which leads to ............

2) .....Cycling the puck occurs AFTER gaining control of the puck. Half of the bolded is talking about the forecheck. Not the same thing. And yes it matters. Like Dzone coverage and the breakout, one leads to the other but they're not the same thing. One is playing without the puck the other is playing with it.

2) What you describe with the bolded sounds like a PP puck retrieval then shifting to getting into PP positions or as you describe it "best roles". Thats not how it works 5v5.

McDavid does what he does within the cycle because of his skill level not because he was assigned the non exisistant primary puck carrier role . I see we are trying to change the word used in an attempted to change the meaning intended. Struck's point was pretty clear that Sam was playing the primary puck carrier role and ROR was spotting off him. It was described in a way that sounded an awful lot like a point guard. Not something that exists 5v5 in hockey.

A generic cycle would be as follows... After the forecheck we have player with possession of the puck in the corner, another forward by the net and another up high near but above the face-off dot. Thats the rough outline of where guys would go once a puck is gained. Then the players move themselves and the puck to each of the points of that triangle they created trying to break down the defense. Thats a very simple cycle description. Obviously there are variations off this; it could be different set up with the 3 players at different pints than the three I described. Or it could be a two man cycle with a guy at the net or up high , or the defense could be involved. But there is no variant that includes the "primary puck mover"

Watch some clips of Girgs/Sam/Griffth. Many times they were able to run a textbook cycle. No one was carrying the puck more than anyone else. They were reading and reacted off each other perfectly. By doing that they were able to create chances and get to the net. No one carried the puck more than the others. None of those 3 really are the types to carrying the puck a lot within the cycle so they don't. Whereas a guy like Jack or McDavid would carry the puck more than those guys would. Its about the player's ability and skill set not an assigned role.

I'll go back to the Girgs/Sam/Griffith line and their ability to cycle the puck. Based on your attempt to bring this non existent role to life, you're arguing that the guy who is the "primary puck mover" is based on talent and the bigger the gap the more pronounced that role is. Well if Sam had that role with ROR (he didn't) he must of have had with the lesser players like Girgs/Griffith (He didn't). That i would hope gives you some insight into how foolish this idea is. One of the bigger oddities though is if this nonexistent role did exist. I find it incredibly odd that Sam would be chosen over ROR for it based on your parameters.

Pointing out that a poster either inaccurately described something or described something that doesn't exist in hockey is not nitpicking. Its simply pointing out they're wrong. But I know us dumb old coaches can't understand anything unless you explain it with "coaching clinic" terms.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
The scarcity of these jobs mean that optics don't particularly matter. And if you believe the most grim among us, we don't have the avenues to top talent anyway, because Buffalo.

Housley has shown nothing beyond bailing on his scheme due to lack of personnel and instilling some coach by numbers low-event junk. I'd sure love to give him the benefit of the doubt, but "coach changing his stripes" stories are rare as hell.

What alarms me about the Phil hire is that unless he lied through his goddamn teeth or was hired specifically to be a defenseman whisperer, he never should have progressed this far. His tactics don't fit this team, and the roster is super far away from having the talent distribution to play his style.

We knew all this on the front end. At every step of his career, Housley has been rewarded for having better defensemen and giving them neon green lights.

At this point, I want to know where things broke down. I want to know exactly when and why the conversation got away from this forward group and a high-tempo team built around forechecking.

It's been three years since the tank and we still haven't *tried* playing the style Murray envisioned.

You've made your feelings about Housley known. However, isn't the bolded a contradiction? He bailed on his scheme due to lack of personnel, but coaches don't change their stripes? If he "bailed on his scheme due to lack of personnel," that would be an indication to me that he might actually be a good coach, because he's changing his plan. He came from a system where his players were fast, and good. He's now coaching a group that is slow, and bad. So, he's trying to figure out what to do. I'm not saying he is or is not a good coach - he's a rookie, he should get *some* time - but the fact that he was both willing and able to adapt his schemes to his personnel generally falls in the "positive" category when evaluating coaches - imho, of course.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
You've made your feelings about Housley known. However, isn't the bolded a contradiction? He bailed on his scheme due to lack of personnel, but coaches don't change their stripes? If he "bailed on his scheme due to lack of personnel," that would be an indication to me that he might actually be a good coach, because he's changing his plan. He came from a system where his players were fast, and good. He's now coaching a group that is slow, and bad. So, he's trying to figure out what to do. I'm not saying he is or is not a good coach - he's a rookie, he should get *some* time - but the fact that he was both willing and able to adapt his schemes to his personnel generally falls in the "positive" category when evaluating coaches - imho, of course.
He was not "able"to adapt. He "attempted" to adapt and failed so far. We are the 2nd worst team in the league. Using the word able is inappropriate.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
11-15: PHIL HOUSLEY ON WGR (8:59)
#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Jeremy White next on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - we knew the Penguins were going got push down by a goal in the third period. We needed to buckle down. Thought we were making good decisions with the puck, but we missed a couple of assignments #Sabres

Housley - when it's a one-goal lead, you have to take what the game gives you. We have to play well without the puck and make good decisions. Need to force them to go 200-feet. It's the missed assignments, the things we miss that come back to us #Sabres

Housley - I thought Reinhart was trending in a good direction before moving up to the Eichel line. Now he's getting more scoring chances, more looks on Jack's line. Glad to see he's finding his scoring touch again #Sabres

Housley - I think the guys have been gutting it out on the blue line with the guys we have out due to injury. We're getting close, feel guys are close to turning the corner #Sabres

Housley - we are trying to build something here and it is a process... We're learning as we move forward. We have to continue to learn and grow as a team, and get better every day #Sabres

Housley - Jason Botterill and I talk every day. He supports the decisions that our coaching staff makes, he's a tremendous communicator. #Sabres

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Housley - Jason Botterill and I talk every day. He supports the decisions that our coaching staff makes, he's a tremendous communicator. #Sabres

Oh no!

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Tough question time. Is he a worse coach than Bylsma? I hated Bylsma, but at least the team was somewhat respectable under him. Now the team is a complete joke and maybe the worst in the league.

Reactions: Fearnot

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Why does he still have a job?

Are you serious?

A new HC hire gets at least a full season+ of evaluation time before being on the hot seat. We’re not even two months into his tenure, and Botteril has barely even started to shape the roster in his image yet.

If things are still terrible on New Years 2019, then I could maybe see the axe coming down on Housley. Not earlier though.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Are you serious?

A new HC hire gets at least a full season+ of evaluation time before being on the hot seat. We’re not even two months into his tenure, and Botteril has barely even started to shape the roster in his image yet.

If things are still terrible on New Years 2019, then I could maybe see the axe coming down on Housley. Not earlier though.

This is not a good idea. The team doesn't have years to toil in mediocrity.

He's got til New Years of 2018 to show some positive improvement in this roster or else I'm saying he should be out

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Not a fan of his so far. I wish he at least showed something to allow me to have any sort of confidence in him. I’m not seeing anything.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Not a fan of his so far. I wish he at least showed something to allow me to have any sort of confidence in him. I’m not seeing anything.
Yeah I can’t think of a single positive thing so far. His interviews suck, his system sucks, his decisions suck. I try to be optimistic but damn does he suck so far.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Question, can anyone think of a first time head coach who was pretty bad to start their career and then developed into a good to great coach?

I’m trying to think of who would be the top dog in the scrub to star category????

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Are you serious?

Every coach deserves 2 years or so to implement their vision, as long as their team is engaged and showing the effort required to develop.

Big chunks of this roster are not playing that way. This is not a normal situation at this point. This is one where the team either wakes the f*** up or I don't know that it matters what Phil is coaching them, they're coasting to payday and no system on earth is going to make that effort competitive.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
My complete bullshit unsubstantiated theory is that Botterill's real pick for coach is Taylor but to appease Pegula he went the nostalgia route and brought in Housley knowing he'd fail and Taylor's path to the job would be clear.

Reactions: truthbluth

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Housley doesn't have nearly enough NHL talent at his disposal to give us anything more than what we're seeing now. Murray screwed this team up for the next two seasons at least and Betts needs two off-season and drafts to get us back to respectable. That's not Housley's fault, he puts out the best he has to work with.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Housley doesn't have nearly enough NHL talent at his disposal to give us anything more than what we're seeing now. Murray screwed this team up for the next two seasons at least and Betts needs two off-season and drafts to get us back to respectable. That's not Housley's fault, he puts out the best he has to work with.
He has more talent than Bylsma did and worse results.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Housley doesn't have nearly enough coaching experience at his disposal to know what to do...

Now that the kool aid has worn off.... can anyone point to a head coach who had success in the NHL with his first head coaching job, who came with absolutely zero relevant head coaching experience?

Maybe there are a bunch of examples?

Reactions: struckbyaparkedcar

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
This team needs a coach who is not afraid to kick some ass in the locker room. Look back at the guys who mentioned Tortorella they were roasted and now the CBJ are one of the best teams in the league. I was actually surprised they shipped out Johansen for Jones when he was feuding with Tortorella. Didn't think Torts would win that one and now the team is behind him 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->