Phil Esposito Versus Jaromir Jagr

Which player do you rank higher?

• Total voters

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Jagr without question. Esposito could dominate around the net but Jagr could dominate the entire offensive zone at his peak.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I am alarmed by anyone who thinks this is an easy choice.

IMO this is a great poll. I think both guys get a little underrated as hockey players (Esposito is a world class butthead).

I think Esposito's 76 goal season - purely in terms of statistical offensive output - is one of the all time great seasons ever, and yes, arguably up there with Gretzky's best peak seasons or perhaps a half a step below. Obviously there is a huge asterisk for having played with Bobby Orr. Still awesome though.

Can't there be a poll option for tie? I feel like there ought to be in these cases. Why can't posters feel as if two players are pretty even?

Reactions: 99664987

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I am alarmed by anyone who thinks this is an easy choice.

IMO this is a great poll. I think both guys get a little underrated as hockey players (Esposito is a world class butthead).

I think Esposito's 76 goal season - purely in terms of statistical offensive output - is one of the all time great seasons ever, and yes, arguably up there with Gretzky's best peak seasons or perhaps a half a step below.

Can't there be a poll option for tie? I feel like there ought to be in these cases. Why can't feel as if two players are pretty even?

yup, said it before. Espo's greatness gets overlooked because of Gretzky

Phil Esposito.

He gets diminished by some as simply feeding off of Orr, and was unfortunately too close to when Gretzky played.

People forget that he literally re-wrote the record books. Problem is Gretzky came along only 5 years later and re-wrote them again. So he didnt get the benefit of being the best scorer of all time for a couple decades so that his legend could grow. Gretzky was close enough time wise to cut the legs out from under the Espo legend.

717 G - 813 A - 1,590 Pts
5x Ross
6x Rocket
Finished 2nd all time in points and goals, and 3rd all time in assists
Retired with the single season goals and points records
first to score 60 goals in a season
first to score 70 goals in a season
retired as only player to score 1,000 points in 1 decade
retired with a record 13 consecutive 30+ goal seasons

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Kind of a tough call.

Jagr was indeed more gifted offensively all around but if I a going into a big game or playoff series I take Espo all day long.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I went with Esposito by a hair. Nothing at all wrong with taking Jagr in this one too though.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Jagr without question. Esposito could dominate around the net but Jagr could dominate the entire offensive zone at his peak.

Really disingenuous to a talent like Esposito to say that he was only effective in one small area of the ice

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Really disingenuous to a talent like Esposito to say that he was only effective in one small area of the ice
That was always my observation. I watched a lot of old Bruins game tape to see Bobby Orr and at times forgot Esposito was even playing.

Esposito was one of the greatest finishers of all time... but Jagr was one of the greatest offensive players of all time... Weighing what they each brought to the table, I take Jagr easily and I’m not even a fan.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
That was always my observation. I watched a lot of old Bruins game tape to see Bobby Orr and at times forgot Esposito was even playing.

Esposito was one of the greatest finishers of all time... but Jagr was one of the greatest offensive players of all time... Weighing what they each brought to the table, I take Jagr easily and I’m not even a fan.

career per game:

goals

Espo - .56
Jagr - .44

assists

Espo - .68
Jagr - .67

Espo - 1.24
Jagr - 1.11

per game at their peak (boston years for Espo, Pitt years for Jagr)

Espo: .73 G - .88 A - 1.62 P
Jagr: .54 G - .79 A - 1.34 P

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
career per game:

goals

Espo - .56
Jagr - .44

assists

Espo - .68
Jagr - .67

Espo - 1.24
Jagr - 1.11

And you don't see anything dishonest in comparing these numbers head to head?

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

Esposito lead the league in assists 3 times. The same amount as Jagr. Esposito was far from one-dimensional.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
career per game:

goals

Espo - .56
Jagr - .44

assists

Espo - .68
Jagr - .67

Espo - 1.24
Jagr - 1.11

Can’t even begin to compare eras.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Esposito lead the league in assists 3 times. The same amount as Jagr. Esposito was far from one-dimensional.
That’s phenomenal, but he didn’t have the depth to his game that Jagr had. Again, I don’t mind numbers when comparing such different eras. I’m looking at their individual skill sets and with this I pick Jagr quite easily.

You’re welcome to disagree.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I went with Esposito. I think he is the 3rd greatest scorer of all time after Gretzky and Lemieux. Jagr has an edge in some areas, but both spent their careers as basically "offense first" type players, and Espo vs his peers was just a bigger gap than Jagr vs his peers. Longevity easily to Jagr, but quality in their peak I'll give to Espo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad