Proposal: Philladephia/Edmonton Ristolainen Petersen for Ceci Campbell plus

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
to Edmonton Oilers
RASMUS RISTOLAINEN ( 3y @ $5.10m )
CAL PETERSEN [ 25% retained ] ( 1y @ $3.75m)
EDM NEW TOTAL CAP HIT = $8.85m (they save $0.65m)
Philadelphia adds :

- nothing or Carter Hart's RFA rights if EDM wants them

to Philadelphia Flyers
JACK CAMPBELL ( 3y @ $5.00m )
CODY CECI (1y @ $3.25m )
[ have to retain $1.25m cap on Petersen for 1 year ]
PHI NEW TOTAL CAP HIT = $9.50m (they add $0.65m)
Edmonton adds :
- at minimum one half-decent prospect or 2nd rounder (Bourgault?)
- a second piece probably. you tell me, what's fair value?

NOTES

EDM goaltending is Skinner starting and Rodrigue Petersen (and UFA? Pickard?) fighting for backup spot.
After next summer, Petersen contract expires and EDM goalie cap and contract fiasco is over.

PHI goaltending is Ersson starting and Fedotov Campbell fighting for backup spot.
The loser (most likely Campbell) ends up on waivers and plays in AHL.
Next summer, Fedotov can be traded OR Philly can keep all 3 and do same thing again in 25/26.
Summer 2026 Fedotov is UFA and PHI can use Campbell as backup for 26/27, or buy out his final year, or sign cheap backup and waive Campbell again.
Summer 2027 Campbell is UFA.
Ersson (or possibly Fedotov) is the starter most likely for next 2 or 3 seasons.
None of Philly's goalie prospects are waiver eligible until 2027 or later.

EDM now has both Nurse and Ristolainen overpaid on blueline for next 3 years, but an overpaid depth D is less of a headache than an overpaid goalie.
EDM now has roster flexibility to explore goaltending options or continue to roll with Skinner.
Ristolainen is injury prone and could potentially spend time on LTIR, allowing EDM to use the cap space elsewhere.

Ceci works nicely as a 1 year stopgap #5 Dman on Philly's blueline, and could even become a trade deadline rental trade chip.
Briere once again moves out a pre-Briere player and further changes the roster, locker room, etc.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Ristolainen
Broberg - Kulak

Skinner

(Rodrigue/Petersen/UFA)

York - Sanheim

Seeler - Drysdale
Zamula - Ceci

Ersson

(Fedotov/Campbell)

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Nurse and Ristolainen as a pair…lol.
I thought that too! Haha. Edmonton's walls seem to be closing in on them, where they don't have prospects or picks or cap space to replenish their depth. Maybe if they're lucky, Broberg looks really good in camp and successfully transitions to the right side to play with Nurse? I don't know. Ristolainen should be a playoff team's number 5 at the very highest, if not 6D or maybe even 7D. But hey, if EDM wants to move on from Campbell without wasting cap on a buyout or trading picks they don't have, the alternative options won't be ideal at all.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I was originally going to counter with Campbell for Risto since the first deal is bad but I think I'd rather have Campbell than Risto. I have more faith in Campbell rebounding as a good backup than Risto being an NHL calibre defenceman.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I’d rather just buyout Campbell. The proposed deal makes the Oilers backend worse for 650k saved? Not worth it imo.

Reactions: majormajor

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I was originally going to counter with Campbell for Risto since the first deal is bad but I think I'd rather have Campbell than Risto. I have more faith in Campbell rebounding as a good backup than Risto being an NHL calibre defenceman.
Risto while overpaid is a legit NHL dman. Playing him on your bottom pair he is solid. Rather keep Risto than take a chance with Campbell.

Now things can change all indications are Sam/Ivan combo next year. Flyers not looking for a goalie.

Not a terrible idea if the Flyers wanted to take a shot on a backup goalie while acquiring another asset. Then move Ceci as you said if need be,

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think the Flyers want another goalie with term. They have Ersson and Fedotov to play in the NHL, and Petersen as the very overpaid AHL starter for one more year with Kolosov the other Phantoms goalie.

The Flyers also only have two RHD now, and they are both injury prone.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Flyers say no. They actually value what Risto brings, rightly or wrongly.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If everyone is healthy and no other moves are made, the Flyers top D for 24-25 would look like this

York-Sanheim
Seeler-Drysdale
Andrae/Zamula-Risto
Attard

Zamula is an RFA who might go back to Russia

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
If everyone is healthy and no other moves are made, the Flyers top D for 24-25 would look like this

York-Sanheim
Seeler-Drysdale
Andrae/Zamula-Risto
Attard

Zamula is an RFA who might go back to Russia
Where is the basis for saying Zamula may go back to Russia? Or you just saying it?

Will Take that bet that Andrae will not be in the top 6.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No way from Edmonton. Ceci isn't a negative value contract dump the way the other three players are.

We'll keep the 3.25M defenseman who should be on our bottom pair, over a 5.1M defenseman who should be on a bottom pair, and the goalie swap is less desirable than just buying out Campbell.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I thought that too! Haha. Edmonton's walls seem to be closing in on them, where they don't have prospects or picks or cap space to replenish their depth. Maybe if they're lucky, Broberg looks really good in camp and successfully transitions to the right side to play with Nurse? I don't know. Ristolainen should be a playoff team's number 5 at the very highest, if not 6D or maybe even 7D. But hey, if EDM wants to move on from Campbell without wasting cap on a buyout or trading picks they don't have, the alternative options won't be ideal at all.
The Oilers cap space isn't an issue. Not yet anyway. Nearly all of their UFA's are replaceable for similar to what they make now (except Henrique, who is likely gone as he was only a rental), and the only one the team really wants to re-sign badly from the sounds of it, is Desharnais, and probably Perry, but who knows what his plans are.

Cap issues could be an issue next summer though, as both Draisaitl (UFA) and Bouchard (RFA) are up for new deals after 25/26. Those 2 will be looking at over 20M for just the pair of them. A lot will depend on how much the cap goes up.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's understandable that people in this thread are treating Risto like he's the same player he was in Buffalo, but he's really not. For what it's worth, he's genuinely cut down on the mental mistakes, and has at least a semblance of understanding of what defense actually is. Not to imply he's any great shakes, he's still got to be sheltered like nobody's business, but I would still rather have him in three years' time than Campbell.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad