Confirmed Trade: [PHI/EDM] Cooper Marody for 2019 3rd round

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
If he traded Puljujarvi for Karlsson would you be in here saying LOL 4th overall for 15th overall, what a bum!
Rewind that for a second......did you just compare Karlsson to Marody....lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I understand the logic your trying to get across, but let's just keep it at 3rd round pick for 6th round pick. Let's not go the extremes to get your point across.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Rewind that for a second......did you just compare Karlsson to Marody....lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I understand the logic your trying to get across, but let's just keep it at 3rd round pick for 6th round pick. Let's not go the extremes to get your point across.
Or how about we consider it a 3rd round pick for a prospect who has done nothing but improve since he was drafted.
Its foolish to think it's Chia giving up a 3rd for a 6th in a draft three years ago.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Or how about we consider it a 3rd round pick for a prospect who has done nothing but improve since he was drafted.
Its foolish to think it's Chia giving up a 3rd for a 6th in a draft three years ago.
Yeah, Cooper definitely increased his value and as we just saw, he raised it to a 3rd rounder. Now it's up to him and the Oilers to make an NHLer out of him.

Looking at Flyers posters mid-season rankings that were done in January, he was usually in the 11-13 range for Flyers forward prospects.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/mid-season-prospect-rankings-chatter-thread.2434069/

Frost, Lindblom, Ratcliffe, Vorobyev, Laczynski, Allison, Rubstov, Aube-Kubel, Kase, Strome seem to be ahead on most lists by good evaluators.

Then Marody in the mix with guys like Sushko, Bunnaman, Cates, Lycksell, etc...

Last summer, he was voted as the 17th best forward prospect by Flyers fans.

Last edited:

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
I posted this a few weeks ago and added a bit more info:

Giroux Couturier Konecny
Lindblom Patrick Voracek

That top 6 could be in place for the next 4 years. And even then, it's Couts and G who are UFA's so they could re-sign.

Ratcliffe Frost Allison
Rubstov Vorobyev Aube-Kubel
Twarynski Laczynski Kase
Strome Marody Sushko
Cates Bunnaman Lycksell

And to think, the Flyers have 2 1st rounders in which 1 will be used on a F for sure. And everyone else we draft in just 3 months time.
And still has Simmonds who could be moved for futures.
And they still have guys like Laughton, Weal, Leier, etc... that I did not include.

Hextall will keep having to thin the herd, and add more picks into the future to keep the pipeline of kids coming. That's the beauty of drafting well. If you have so few busts, you keep the guys you expect to be the best, and roll the other ones over into more future picks.

As for Marody, you can see what he was up against to get to the NHL with the amount of forward prospects the Flyers have plus the ones they will add from this coming draft and other possible trades. For Edmonton, they get an AHL ready prospect who has already had a few good post draft years so don't have to wait as long for him to possible arrive and have eliminated some "bust" years. I wish him the best. He won't be the last one the Flyers trade.
where does Laberge get in your depth chart, just curious?

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't think this is a good trade for one major reason. In my opinion we could have got an NHL contributor that is likely already better than Marody's ceiling for that pick. I understand the idea of building a pipeline of talent but that 3rd was an asset that should have been used to acquire a player who can make an impact sooner.

Reactions: Tripod

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
If I was an Oiler fan, I would not like this, Chia has proven to have no clue when it come to talent......
He could had used this pick as a basis to get a better prospect, like that Florida kid? :o

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Any Flyers fans got any insight as to how his skating is along with other attributes? Looking at his stats he seems like a decent player who progressed each year in NCAA in terms of scoring.

He has a lot of speed and underrated hands. Won't necessarily dangle you, but he has great puck control. His shot has gotten better, but I don't think it's anything special. His vision and IQ are still in the works, but for his game to make it to the NHL (if it does), it will be that of a pass first player.

If I had to take a guess- on a bad team he maybe would be on the 3rd line come his time for the NHL. He could project high given proper development, but I think this was a good trade for both teams. He wouldn't make the Flyers given their prospect pool.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Concerned by his skating:
All the scouting reports seem to say he is a great skater.

"When you thought he could not get much faster than he already was, he somehow manages to find a high gear and is making good use of it when generating creating for others in the offensive zone."

"Speed is the number one asset Marody brings to the table. Marody is a blazing skater that can stretch the ice and put pressure on the opposing defense."

"He’s praised most for his above average skating, his creativity, and play-making. "

"He displays tremendous speed and acceleration, and uses his speed to take the puck wide and create chances from the outside as well as the inside."

"He's a great skater who gets after it and uses his speed to wreak havoc on the opposition, especially on the forecheck, and it's easily his most distinguishable trait."

They can't all be wrong, can they?

As for him having schooling issues: he had mono and missed a bunch of school because he was very sick. He wasn't allowed to play because he had missed so much school from having mono.

Pretty sure that scouting report was before he joined the NCAA. These people always blow up decent players from the USHL... that's nothing against Marody.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
To be fair also to those Flyers fans saying he was 11-13 best forward prospect in the system - you guys do have an incredibly deep and talented system up front.

I also find that most prospect bases tend to underestimate non-blue chip NCAA prospects. To frame it another way, every year people get geeked out if their team signs a highly-sought NCAA fee agent. True, in part that is because it is basically “found money” but I also think being a free agent focuses more attention that a really nice drafted college prospect buried in a deep system might not receive unless they make the WJC team or something. And you better believe if Marody were a free agent that he’d be getting plenty of hype and attention as the leading scorer and creative force on a big time program like UM.

None of that is to take away from what the Flyers have done. It was a great draft pick from great scouting and it’s a great move to clear the decks a bit and grab a really nice future asset. So nothing but kudos for what Philly has done here.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
To be fair also to those Flyers fans saying he was 11-13 best forward prospect in the system - you guys do have an incredibly deep and talented system up front.

I also find that most prospect bases tend to underestimate non-blue chip NCAA prospects. To frame it another way, every year people get geeked out if their team signs a highly-sought NCAA fee agent. True, in part that is because it is basically “found money” but I also think being a free agent focuses more attention that a really nice drafted college prospect buried in a deep system might not receive unless they make the WJC team or something. And you better believe if Marody were a free agent that he’d be getting plenty of hype and attention as the leading scorer and creative force on a big time program like UM.

None of that is to take away from what the Flyers have done. It was a great draft pick from great scouting and it’s a great move to clear the decks a bit and grab a really nice future asset. So nothing but kudos for what Philly has done here.

To the bolded: You are absolutely correct. It's not meant as a slight to the player, just moreso that he became expendable due to our depth. I think Marody can carve out a career in the NHL as a 3rd liner in the right situation. That situation just wasn't likely to be Philadelphia, because of the aforementioned depth. I've never put much weight into the 'xth best prospect' argument. At one point, Philippe Myers was our 4th best Defensive prospect but was in a lot of scouts top 50. Depth in a particular system should never be used to gauge value.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

They just have too many forward prospects in the system. They needed to move one of them.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If I was an Oiler fan, I would not like this, Chia has proven to have no clue when it come to talent......
He could had used this pick as a basis to get a better prospect, like that Florida kid? :eek:

Chiarelli has made a bunch of bad trades, but those bad trades most often involve star players. He also got us Cam Talbot for nothing, Patrick Maroon with retention for nothing, and Zack Kassian for nothing. He's also signed some decent college prospects. He's done okay at getting depth players. It's the trades that include our top tier players that we have to worry about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad