Confirmed Trade: [PHI/EDM] Cooper Marody for 2019 3rd round

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How can a trade be made? Aren't we past the trade deadline???

The trade deadline isn't actually a trade deadline.

Any players traded after the "deadline" just aren't eligible for the NHL playoffs.

oilers84

Jun 24, 2009
You can trade after the deadline they just won' be able to play in the play off if your in from what I recall

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
A 6th round pick from 2015 who has earned himself a contract. Flyers are going to see a lot of guys graduating to the AHL and are a little tight on contracts so Hextall must have felt there wasn't am opportunity for him in the organization. Hopefully he can make it with the Oilers.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
Any Flyers fans got any insight as to how his skating is along with other attributes? Looking at his stats he seems like a decent player who progressed each year in NCAA in terms of scoring.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Interesting...he was the leading scorer for Michigan this year but he's only a junior. Unless there's talk of him going pro after this season but he might not sign with the Flyers.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
How can a trade be made? Aren't we past the trade deadline???

Unfortunately, it means he wont be able to play for the Oilers in the playoffs. Even more unfortunate: we wont be making the playoffs.

Just going by his numbers (obviously), but he seems like a 4th liner upside in the NHL. We've been recently drafting guys in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds with more potential than that (Bear, Jones, Safin, Maksimov, Berglund, etc.). If skating isn't a strong suit, I'd rather have just picked a speedster from the CHL who hasn't put it together but has some potential (swing for the fences, so to speak). Game is more and more about speed.

I'll wait and see, but doesn't look like much of a good trade to me at the moment, but of course I'll be keeping an open mind for the next couple years to see what kind of game he's got. I hope they scouted him, and that it wasn't Bucky or some other idiot who did the scouting.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Any Flyers fans got any insight as to how his skating is along with other attributes? Looking at his stats he seems like a decent player who progressed each year in NCAA in terms of scoring.

Definitely more of a creator, and has very good vision, from all the scouts reports and write-ups i've read. No one talks about his skating bein a detriment, but i dont remember reading anyone calling it out as a strength, either.

Reactions: RebuildTheRebuild

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Seems like a good fit for all parties involved.

Flyers: are super deep in prospects, especially forwards, that have just entered or are about to enter the pro ranks. This gives them an asset to cultivate a player for further down the road, helps them start to spread out their development prospects.

Oilers: need some solid prospects who can step in sooner rather than later - or at least have the potential. Their AHL club isn’t exactly loaded with promising forward prospects. Marody may not have huge upside but he’s been a standout at Michigan and a big scorer at every level. He’s not guaranteed to be an impact NHL player but he’s not a nobody either and at the very least he’ll be a good player at Bakersfield next year (assuming he signs, seems that would be Edmontons intent) with perhaps more potential down the road. He’s definitely worth more than his original pick, so we can just ignore the idiots who will bellyache that the Oilers gave up a 3rd round pick for a 6th rounder.

Marody: goes from a crowded farm system to one where he will have a better chance to make a big impact. You never know, by next year he could be having a cup of tea next to the most dynamic hockey player on earth...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Seems like a good fit for all parties involved.

Flyers: are super deep in prospects, especially forwards, that have just entered or are about to enter the pro ranks. This gives them an asset to cultivate a player for further down the road, helps them start to spread out their development prospects.

Oilers: need some solid prospects who can step in sooner rather than later - or at least have the potential. Their AHL club isn’t exactly loaded with promising forward prospects. Marody may not have huge upside but he’s been a standout at Michigan and a big scorer at every level. He’s not guaranteed to be an impact NHL player but he’s not a nobody either and at the very least he’ll be a good player at Bakersfield next year with perhaps more potential down the road. He’s definitely worth more than his original pick, so we can just ignore the idiots who will bellyache that the Oilers gave up a 3rd round pick for a 6th rounder.

Marody: goes from a crowded farm system to one where he will have a better chance to make a big impact. You never know, by next year he could be having a cup of tea next to the most dynamic hockey player on earth...
I think its more that Marody just became our return for Maroon.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Obviously you can kind of see what Chiarelli is trying to do here. It’s a risk, but shouldn’t be a very big one.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Philly turns a former 6th round pick into a future 3rd round pick.
Lol, Chiarelli trades a 3rd for a 6th essentially. Chiarelli just loves getting bent. Is this guy for real ? Chiarelli was asked for a reason to trade the 3rd. His response.
chiarellishrug.jpg

search

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lol, Chiarelli trades a 3rd for a 6th essentially. Chiarelli just loves getting bent. Is this guy for real ? Chiarelli was asked for a reason to trade the 3rd. His response.
chiarellishrug.jpg

search

Can you provide a complete insightful scouting report on this kid if you're so sure that the Oilers lost this one? You realize that draft day value isn't what a guy's value will be in a year or more, right?

I swear, Chiarelli could trade Slepyshev for Erik Karlsson and some Oiler fans would still respons with, LOL, Chiarelli's dum".

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Good move by the Oilers. Solid prospect. Now hopefully he doesn’t go to free agency...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad