Phaneuf Signs with Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Cerebral said:
Just curious, who would you have taken? I would have definitely taken a few ahead of Phaneuf but I can't think of many I'd rank ahead of him...

I't take Fleury, Staal, and Zherdev ahead of him for sure, and possibly Suter....he'd definatly go top 5 though.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
vb said:
Though they have played games, they lack experience in their roles. For example, how long have Leopold and Regehr been top pairing defeceman?

All of last year. When the Flames defense allowed one of (if not) the fewest shots against.

gerbilanium said:
What do you know, peddle? Phaneuf is gonna hump the the pooch and you know it. The Flames D is overated big time, they mowed through the NHL these past playoffs which was purely fluke.

How does an overrated defense mow through the three division champs and get within 2 goals of the Stanley Cup? Calgary's freakishly good offense? Or our goalie that was a fluke as well? The Flames D is the strength of the team. Good defensemen who play a good system. Phaneuf is as good now, if not better than guys like Commodore (Phaneuf is already a better skater and puckhandler, not to mention an equal physically), who were part of the defense throughout the playoffs.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Sutter was on local radio yesterday and mentioned that Phaneuf is as good a passer as he's seen, including at the NHL level.

Thought some of you who think he's overrated or doesn't have much offensive ability might find that quote interesting. Sutter tends to tell it like it is without adding a lot of hype.

Jovo Cop

I think everyone feels the Flames were a fluke because of Crapolina and Anaslime making the finals then falling off the face of the NHL ..HOWEVER those two crappy teams never had a Iggy on O or a Reggie on D like the Flamers have and of course a Kipper in nets ..although Jiggy is pretty darn good .
As for Phneuf ..hes a SUPERSTAR in the making!!!

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
tulsytrid1 said:
The Ducks may not have had Iggy, but they did have Fedorov and Sykora. It suprised me the fall the Ducks took. I am not saying it will happen to the Flames, but really anything is possible in the NHL.

Chaning franchise players (Kariya to federov) greatly hurt the Ducks. Whena team is built around a player and than that center piece is replace it takes quite some time for the unit to function right again. I am very surprised at people who say the Flames were a 1 year wonder because of guys like Kipper, Iginla etc. These people fail to realize that we had one of the highest teams affected by injuries last year. We played less than 1/2 season without a #1 goalie and alot with a #3 goalie. We also have injuries to many keep parts of our team such as Conroy, Rhino, Lydman, etc.

People need to give the Flames credit cause they did so much even with a depleted roster last season.

Go Flames Go*

Sutter most probablly would of taken Phanuef if he drafted in the top 6, if Horton, and Fluery where taken.

I would take Horton over Phanuef because, the Flames needed at the time to get some offensive players in the system, but I am glad he took Phanuef he will be a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->