Phaneuf Signs with Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
vb said:
Looks like a lot of potential, but not a lot of experience. Kiprusoff will have his work cut out for him this year.
Please, what a stupid comment.

Warrener, for a 27 year old has 648 NHL games under his belt
Regehr at 24 has is 11 games shy of 400 NHL games played.
Both Andrew Ference and Toni Lydman are 5 games shy of 295 games played.

Sorry, that is a really dumb comment. That defensive group proved what they could do last season. Minus Gauthier, add in Phaneuf and plus one more year of development and they are better.

But your right, Miika Kiprusoff is going to have to bail them out every single night. :lol

Last edited:

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
What do you know, peddle? Phaneuf is gonna hump the the pooch and you know it. The Flames D is overated big time, they mowed through the NHL these past playoffs which was purely fluke.

MrMastodonFarm said:

Sorry, that is a really dumb comment. That defensive group proved what they could do last season. Minus Gauthier, add in Phaneuf and plus one more year of development and they are better.

But your right, Miika Kiprusoff is going to have to bail them out every single night. :lol

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
gerbilanium said:
What do you know, peddle? Phaneuf is gonna hump the the pooch and you know it. The Flames D is overated big time, they mowed through the NHL these past playoffs which was purely fluke.

And what do you base this fluke on? Its one thing to say they "fluked" it through the playoffs BUT the defense played great ALL year long. They finished #3 in lowest goals allowed for the whole season WHILE having Kipper and Turek injured for many games and relying on a goalie like McLennan. :handclap: Now that is defense.

vb

Mar 4, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:

Thanks for the info!

Though they have played games, they lack experience in their roles. For example, how long have Leopold and Regehr been top pairing defeceman?

Teams will be gunning for the Flames next time there is hockey and though I understand your reasons for optimism, that group has a lot of developing to do before you consider them a premier group (especially with Leopold on the top pairing).

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Leopold, Regher, Phaneuf, Ramholt. If all players reach their potential in 2-3 years could the Flames top 4 defense finally be considered one of the best in the league?

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Leopold, Regher, Phaneuf,
Those 3 right there all have top 2 potential. All 3 players could be top blueliners. Considering two of them are already playing huge roles and Dion Phaneuf is about as a sure bet as you get with prospect... that.. that has me drooling.

Not to mention in 2 years Lydman and Warrener will both still be under the age of 30. Ference, Regehr and Leopold are still only 24 years old all around.

Incredible.

vb

Mar 4, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Leopold, Regher, Phaneuf, Ramholt. If all players reach their potential in 2-3 years could the Flames top 4 defense finally be considered one of the best in the league?

Sure, but you could say the same for almost every team...

Leopold and Regehr will always have big holes in their game, which was obvious during the playoffs and WC.

However, Phaneuf looks like he could be a complete player (dominate defensively and contribute offensively).

I haven't heard much about Ramholt, but he sounds like a longshot and we both know how many d-men make the bigs out of the Q.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
vb said:
Thanks for the info!

Though they have played games, they lack experience in their roles. For example, how long have Leopold and Regehr been top pairing defeceman?

Teams will be gunning for the Flames next time there is hockey and though I understand your reasons for optimism, that group has a lot of developing to do before you consider them a premier group (especially with Leopold on the top pairing).

Teams will be gunning the Flames??? are you saying this year they weren't gunning the flames??? maybe in the first half of the season you can get away with that but in the 2nd half of the season good teams don't take other teams lightly regardless of their reputation.. besides everyone knew how good the flames were in the 2nd half of the season

You also forget that its the Flames' defensive system that really helped Kipper too.. and when i say defensive system, i mean forwards and defencemen... we had good team defence and i expect that to be more or less the same whenever a new season starts again

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
vb said:
Leopold and Regehr will always have big holes in their game, which was obvious during the playoffs and WC.
Regehr has the same "hole" in his game that Adam Foote has, he has done fine. Mind telling me what big hole their is in Leopold's game? That one is puzzling.

Calling Ramholt a "longshot" would also be incorrect. He was a 2nd round pick in a very deep 2003 draft. He is not a longshot by anyones standards. He is also not a QMJHL defencemen. He spent one -- count em one -- season in the Q getting a little more used to the North American game. Trying to put the lable of Q defencemen on him would be incorrect. He was drafted out of the Swiss leauge, the leauge he is playing in right now. He is a Swiss leauge defencemen.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
vb said:
Sure, but you could say the same for almost every team...
Also, no you couldn't say that about almost everyteam. Right now the only teams I would say that about are the Flames and Nashville.

Flames - Regehr, Leopold, Phaneuf, Ramholt, Ference, Commodore, Montador

Nashville - Hamhuis, Suter, Klein, Weber

The only two franchise prospect blueliners out there right now are Suter and Phaneuf.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
MrMastodonFarm said:
Also, no you couldn't say that about almost everyteam. Right now the only teams I would say that about are the Flames and Nashville.

The only two franchise prospect blueliners out there right now are Suter and Phaneuf.

and maybe the blackhawks as well.

vb

Mar 4, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
chriss_co said:
Teams will be gunning the Flames??? are you saying this year they weren't gunning the flames??? maybe in the first half of the season you can get away with that but in the 2nd half of the season good teams don't take other teams lightly regardless of their reputation.. besides everyone knew how good the flames were in the 2nd half of the season

I disagree, next season teams will be stepping their game up against the Flames. They have become one of the measuring sticks that all finalists before them have.

chriss_co said:
You also forget that its the Flames' defensive system that really helped Kipper too.. and when i say defensive system, i mean forwards and defencemen... we had good team defence and i expect that to be more or less the same whenever a new season starts again

Agreed

vb

Mar 4, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
Regehr has the same "hole" in his game that Adam Foote has, he has done fine. Mind telling me what big hole their is in Leopold's game? That one is puzzling.

I don't think Regehr has the same strength or skating that Foote has, but even still, Foote has always had an Ozolinsh, Bourque, Blake, etc. to share the work with.

As for Leopold, the last 10 secs of Gm 7 regulation against the Canucks is a big concern. If he won't make the defensive play in that situation, why would you want him on a top pairing?

Calling Ramholt a "longshot" would also be incorrect. He was a 2nd round pick in a very deep 2003 draft. He is not a longshot by anyones standards. He is also not a QMJHL defencemen. He spent one -- count em one -- season in the Q getting a little more used to the North American game. Trying to put the lable of Q defencemen on him would be incorrect. He was drafted out of the Swiss leauge, the leauge he is playing in right now. He is a Swiss leauge defencemen.

Time will tell, but there are probably fewer Swiss players in the bigs then there are Q defenceman. lol

vb

Mar 4, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:

Really? There are only two franchise prospect blueliners in the world?!?! lol

Enough of this madness...Phaneuf looks like a gem, be proud of him!

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
vb said:
Time will tell, but there are probably fewer Swiss players in the bigs then there are Q defenceman. lol
The Swiss program is just starting to come into its own. Ramholt will probably be the first ever regular Swiss player that doesn't play goaltending in the NHL. I wouldn't pass judgement on an up and coming hockey nation just yet.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
vb said:
As for Leopold, the last 10 secs of Gm 7 regulation against the Canucks is a big concern. If he won't make the defensive play in that situation, why would you want him on a top pairing?
You are saing he won't be a top pairing defencemen because of 10 seconds on his NHL career? That is an interesting move.

The last seconds of the Vancouver game have alot more to do with Iginla being tripped at center ice and Conroy not coming back in time to cover Cooke going to the net.

vb

Mar 4, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
Yup, Phaneuf and Suter. Coburn and Barker are a definite notch below.

I definitely disagree, the only thing separating these prospects and guys like Grebeshkov, Stuart, Tjutin, etc. is hype.

vb

Mar 4, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
You are saing he won't be a top pairing defencemen because of 10 seconds on his NHL career? That is an interesting move.

The last seconds of the Vancouver game have alot more to do with Iginla being tripped at center ice and Conroy not coming back in time to cover Cooke going to the net.

If he can't make the play at the most crucial time of his career til now, when is he going to make it?

Will Sutter play him in the situation again? Would you?

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
vb said:
I definitely disagree, the only thing separating these prospects and guys like Grebeshkov, Stuart, Tjutin, etc. is hype.
Oh okay gotcha.

So Dustin Boyd = Rob Schremp then right? I mean, only thing seperating them is hype.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
vb said:
Will Sutter play him in the situation again? Would you?
Yes, and yes. Its called maturing as a player and gaining experiance. I still don't know what major mistake you speak of. Iginla falling over a stick and Conroy letting his man charge to the net resulted in Cooke's goal with 4 seconds remaining.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
MrMastodonFarm said:
Oh okay gotcha.

So Dustin Boyd = Rob Schremp then right? I mean, only thing seperating them is hype.
Don't forget talent and numbers.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
MrMastodonFarm said:
Did you read the previous page? Do you realize why I said that?

Either way, thank you for proving my point.
I know why you said it, although I wasn't implying anything with my post in regards to Phaneuf.

In fact, right now I'm not sure what sets Phaneuf apart from guys like Grebeshkov and Tyutin. We'll just have to see, I guess, how that all turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad