Phaneuf or Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Really tough to answer I have seen Dion play lots of times but I have never seen Jack Johnson play. It will be interesting to see him play in the WJC.

Phaneuf*

I'm not going to be a Dion homer here. Jack Johnson has much better ceiling then Phaneuf.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Its hard to say. Phaneuf is going to be a Scott Stevens clone. Johnson may be a Chelios clone. So who was better Chelios or Stevens?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I think it's way too early to make any estimates of Johnson's ceiling, let him play 1-2 seasonns at higher level before making the call.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Way to early to predict at the moment. Phaneuf's game has imporved since being drafted and he has really rounded out his game, while Johnson game is better (at draft age) than Phaneuf's and he was drafted earlier because of it.

Once again, way to hard to tell.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
I'm going to have to see what he can do in College to even start to compare him to either Dion Phaneuf or Ryan Suter yet. At this point those two are the clear #1 and #2 guys.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
i like fanoofer. Johnson is good too though. Im not positive so im not gonna say fanoofer without a doubt cause their is a doubt.

bure94

Are'nt these different types of dmen ?

From what I know Phan. is a defensive dman while John. is a offensive dman.

You can't compare them.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
bure94 said:

You can't compare them.

From what I have heard, both are very physical, log big minutes, defensively good and have great shots. They have lots of similarities.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
bure94 said:

You can't compare them.

I would not classify Phaneuf as a Defensive Dman. While he played Junior and played on WJC he has always lead the Powerplay and has had Offensive upside. Phaneuf has a great shot and I believe he will be the PowerPlay Quarterback in the future for the Flames.

No idea about Johnson.

Roger's Pancreas*

bure94 said:

You can't compare them.

Johnson's potential is a franchise defenseman IMO because he's as solid as any defenseman in his own zone. Once he's done carrying the puck out of his zone he can play like an offensive d-man, minus any softness. Just to top off the whole thing he's thick bodied and pretty physical when it's needed. I like Johnson more but that's just because I don't follow Phaneuf nearly as much.

Sticky*

Vikke said:
Compare Johnson's current style to an NHL D-man, anyone?
Ozolinsh?

Oh god no. Ozolinch could not play D to save his life. Johnson definitely has iffencive skill, but he is also terrific defensively and physically.

By the way. I would take Phaneuf.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
jackmanfan said:
Who has the higher upside, Dion or Jack?
:dunno:

Phaneuf hands down. Take a look at the HF rankings! If you haven't see these guys play dont judge them. I've seen both play(more so Phaneuf). Johnson probably has more offensive upside, but Phaneuf is a killer. Phaneuf is going to be better overall, Johnson is going to be good, but Phaneuf will be better.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Way to early to predict at the moment. Phaneuf's game has imporved since being drafted and he has really rounded out his game, while Johnson game is better (at draft age) than Phaneuf's and he was drafted earlier because of it.

Once again, way to hard to tell.

The most sensible post in this thread by far. Put it this way, if Johnson has a similar development arc as Phaneuf, he'll be the better player.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
The most sensible post in this thread by far. Put it this way, if Johnson has a similar development arc as Phaneuf, he'll be the better player.
I agree.

I like Johnson better (for the future), although it'll be close. I like Johnson's offensive potential better, plus he hits just as hard and often as Phaneuf, and is even meaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->