Confirmed with Link: Phaneuf on the Pha-move to LA

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
McKenzie saying a Gaborik buyout may not be in the works. They can't buy him out if injured and he has a long list of injuries .. playing him like they are risks that

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Gaborik trade reminded me more of when the Sens got Bondra.

FYI. Bondra was acquired in 2004.

I remember it pretty clearly because it was right before the lockout and there was this bizarre arms race where teams in the playoffs were falling over themselves to try and be competitive.

Bondra, as primarily a RW, was an odd choice because we were set at that position and he never seemed that comfortable in the left hand side.

The reason I say Kovalev and not Bondra is that Peter was acquired when Ottawa was still very much contending for a Cup while Kovalev was much more of a stop gap for a bubble team.

I don’t think anyone thought Kovalev was the answer and the same goes for Gaborik.

Bondra was Ottawa’s first real deadline acquisition intended to amp up the competiveness of the team - if you ignore Barrasso.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
McKenzie saying a Gaborik buyout may not be in the works. They can't buy him out if injured and he has a long list of injuries .. playing him like they are risks that

I'm still stunned that Melnyk gave the greenlight to retaining on Phaneuf's contract.

I'd be pretty darn surprised if he then gave the ok to buy out Gaborik as well.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

We'll see what happens in the summer, but I can possibly imagine a rebuilding or re-tooling team having almost 12M tied up in two 30+ aged wingers who aren't in the long term plans.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm still stunned that Melnyk gave the greenlight to retaining on Phaneuf's contract.

I'd be pretty darn surprised if he then gave the ok to buy out Gaborik as well.

Probably right. That theory was speculated quite a bit after the trade.. Now I am wondering if they want to try to move him. Maybe they try to retain 25% on him to move him. It would be cheaper than buying him out.. The whole thing does not make a hell of a lot of sense to me.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We'll see what happens in the summer, but I can possibly imagine a rebuilding or re-tooling team having almost 12M tied up in two 30+ aged wingers who aren't in the long term plans.

Again it draws questions about the plan. Hard to say what the advantage of playing him top line is; if the plan is to buy him out.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm fine with keeping Gaborik.

It's much easier to have a winger making that kind of money, he is easily hidden.

Phaneuf was going to be an anchor in our top 4 for the duration of his contract. Gaborik can be a 3rd lineer, and pp guy.

He's not ideal to have on the roster by any means, but he' better than Phaneuf.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I can't believe that so many people actually thought they planned on buying him out.
Who knows .. but .. I didn't think that was part of it... To me ..why retain on p9 and buy out Gaborik? Why not just buy out P9? plus moving Thompson for Shore... I'd rather have a pick.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'm fine with keeping Gaborik.

It's much easier to have a winger making that kind of money, he is easily hidden.

Phaneuf was going to be an anchor in our top 4 for the duration of his contract. Gaborik can be a 3rd lineer, and pp guy.

He's not ideal to have on the roster by any means, but he' better than Phaneuf.

I'm fine with keeping him too, but you can't have him AND Ryan on the same roster, imo. That would be horrible.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm fine with keeping him too, but you can't have him AND Ryan on the same roster, imo. That would be horrible.

Highly unpredictable lineup... Both miss a lot with injuries... If both are out at the same time and you are relying on them as top 6/9 producers its going to be painful.. that can amount to quite a few games if the past is any indication.

Reactions: Chezzz

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I also think that it's good for EK to have a HOF type player around. Someone he can look up to and respect. In terms of veteran players, having a guy with that kind of career on the squad I think has many bonuses beyond on-ice.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If Karlsson wasn't going to re-sign, why did we trade Phaneuf?

Is Chabot-Ceci going to be our top pairing next year?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I think this is a big part of the deal. I am not insulating that there is a pre-arranged agreement for Gaborik to retire, otherwise, why would LAK have been motivated to dump him?

But with Gaborik there are numerous outs that are long shots but might be available to the Senators. These same outs were not even plausible with Phaneuf. That being insured LTIR (possible long shot if his injuries are pre-existing), or Gaborik getting bored and retiring.

10 million dollars is a lot of money, but there are diminishing returns when you're nearing 40 years old with a bad knee and have already made 70-80 million.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think this is a big part of the deal. I am not insulating that there is a pre-arranged agreement for Gaborik to retire, otherwise, why would LAK have been motivated to dump him?

But with Gaborik there are numerous outs that are long shots but might be available to the Senators. These same outs were not even plausible with Phaneuf. That being insured LTIR (possible long shot if his injuries are pre-existing), or Gaborik getting bored and retiring.

10 million dollars is a lot of money, but there are diminishing returns when you're nearing 40 years old with a bad knee and have already made 70-80 million.
That's a good point, it could come down to quality of life later on & if he has handled his money properly he & his family can live very comfortable for the rest of their lives. Sticking around for a couple of more yrs especially on a team that might not be going anywhere with the possibility of more injuries might not be that great even if he were to leave $10 mil on the table. I've had my knee replaced, it hurt like hell & took me months to learn how to walk properly again & months of physio. Lots of athletes need to get their knees replaced sooner or later after retirement.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Who expected him to be bought out this year???

I think even most optimistic projections were he would play this year and next, for the bulk of his salary.. and then buyout.

Best case being he just up and retires after next year.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That's a good point, it could come down to quality of life later on & if he has handled his money properly he & his family can live very comfortable for the rest of their lives. Sticking around for a couple of more yrs especially on a team that might not be going anywhere with the possibility of more injuries might not be that great even if he were to leave $10 mil on the table. I've had my knee replaced, it hurt like hell & took me months to learn how to walk properly again & months of physio. Lots of athletes need to get their knees replaced sooner or later after retirement.
The whole money issue confuses the crap out of me when youre super rich like that. Guys that have made many tens of millions of dollars are willing to play for perennial losers or move all the way across the country over a couple million extra. I dont get it, wtf is there left to buy that you cant already.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The whole money issue confuses the crap out of me when youre super rich like that. Guys that have made many tens of millions of dollars are willing to play for perennial losers or move all the way across the country over a couple million extra. I dont get it, wtf is there left to buy that you cant already.
Yea, I think it comes down to long term planning, no matter how much you have for some reason there is still that worry that you may not have enough. I read somewhere that for most old people it's not death that they worry the most about, it's running out of money before they die & will end up dependent on others or government or on the street. Money is a very strong motivator for some people regardless of how much they have & always want more. Not sure Gaborik is like that & we'll see if he is back or not.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yea, I think it comes down to long term planning, no matter how much you have for some reason there is still that worry that you may not have enough. I read somewhere that for most old people it's not death that they worry the most about, it's running out of money before they die & will end up dependent on others or government or on the street. Money is a very strong motivator for some people regardless of how much they have & always want more. Not sure Gaborik is like that & we'll see if he is back or not.
Youre absolutely right. Ive seen it first hand with someone in the family, shes so worried her money could run out that she hoards and is super cheap, but she could pay off every single family members house plus have millions left at 83 years old, but she comes from that line of thinking where theyre so worried that they just plan to will it away. Id rather watch the gifts bear fruit while im alive but then its not my money.

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->