Phaneuf/Johnson comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
We'll just have to see. I don't think there's any doubt that going into their draft year, Johnson is better. But afterwards is where Phaneuf really took off, and Johnson will have to do the same.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Like Seachd said. Johnson is regarded higher at the same points in their careers, JJ is a #2-#4 pick and Phaneuf was a #9. But after his draft year it's like a switch went off in Phaneufs head and he became, a Pierre McGuire calls it, a "monster". I've never seen Johnson play myself so I can't tell you much, but Phaneuf is one of if not the most dominant WHL defenseman I've seen in many years.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Don't forget that Phaneuf's draft was the deepest in 10 years. Any other year and Dion is a top 3 pick. I don't think it's accurate to say that JJ is ahead of where DP was at this time in his career. Personally, from what I've seen I think Phaneuf was/is the better prospect.

I'll get shot for this but with the Rags picking at 16 I'm perfectly content to sit and wait for Bourdon as opposed to breaking the bank to get Johnson. I'd be easily just as happy (if not more so) taking Bourret or McArdle at 16, than I would taking Brule or Pouliot. For me the separation in potential isn't as deep as many believe; although clearly the readiness of some of these kids is extremely divergent.

espo*

I've seen Johnson play all of once so i can't be of much help.He is more highly regrded going in then Phaneuf was in his draft year but that means about nothing with the way Phaneuf has developed since.I have watched him a lot and he is indeed......."a monster" pencil that guy in as an all-star.Johnson's game sounds similar to phaneuf from what i've heard (with maybe more raw offensive ability) if he develops like Dion on those lines you're looking at another all-star,one that might be better then Phaneuf.We'll have to wait and see now.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
BigE said:
Don't forget that Phaneuf's draft was the deepest in 10 years. Any other year and Dion is a top 3 pick. I don't think it's accurate to say that JJ is ahead of where DP was at this time in his career. Personally, from what I've seen I think Phaneuf was/is the better prospect.

I'll disagree with this. If the 2003 Phaneuf went into the 2004 draft, I don't think there's any way he goes top 3.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Seachd said:
We'll just have to see. I don't think there's any doubt that going into their draft year, Johnson is better. But afterwards is where Phaneuf really took off, and Johnson will have to do the same.

Probably the most balanced way to look at things IMO.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Hedberg16 said:
Jack Johnson will end up being better than Dion Phaneuf.
I'll bet you have never even seen Johnson play. And seen Phaneuf play once or twice on TV. Whatever, I guess I'm in kinda the same boat. I've seen Dion play many times and seen Johnson once or twice on TV. Based on the limited stuff I've seen I would take Phaneuf in a second. I guess we'll get to see JJ in the WJC's this year, because he didn't make it last year and all.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
ryz said:
I'll bet you have never even seen Johnson play. And seen Phaneuf play once or twice on TV. Whatever, I guess I'm in kinda the same boat. I've seen Dion play many times and seen Johnson once or twice on TV. Based on the limited stuff I've seen I would take Phaneuf in a second. I guess we'll get to see JJ in the WJC's this year, because he didn't make it last year and all.
Right. But remember Johnson is two years younger than Phaneuf, and quite a bit farther ahead at that age. He's got plenty of time.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Seachd said:
Right. But remember Johnson is two years younger than Phaneuf, and quite a bit farther ahead at that age. He's got plenty of time.
I'm sure he is and I'm not debating it. I'm just not a fan of the guy comming in here and saying "Player A will be better that Player B" and giving not a single sentance of explaination. That's all. I just went against that.

On the same note, I guess Johnson has 2 straight WJC Defenceman of the Tourney and 1st team all-stars to capture. Let's see how he develops.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Seachd said:

How do you figure? How can you base your statement he is farther ahead at this point then Phaneuf? I bet you have never seen Johnson play. There is no way to answer this question in my opinion.

From what I have read they are completely different dman. Johnson is a smaller guy than Phaneuf. It sounds like Johnson is speculated to be more of a Offensive dman.

Only time will tell.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
flambers said:
How do you figure? How can you base your statement he is farther ahead at this point then Phaneuf? I bet you have never seen Johnson play. There is no way to answer this question in my opinion.

I've seen Johnson live. Maybe you misunderstood what I said. Going into their respective draft years, I clearly believe Johnson is better. And in no way is that a slam on Phaneuf.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Seachd said:
I've seen Johnson live. Maybe you misunderstood what I said. Going into their respective draft years, I clearly believe Johnson is better. And in no way is that a slam on Phaneuf.

Sure it is, I have read your posts lots of times on another forum and there is no question you slam the Flames but anyhow that does not matter.

A quick question how have you seen this player play live? Do you live in the states? If yes, did you watch Phaneuf play "live" in 2003?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
flambers said:
Sure it is, I have read your posts lots of times on another forum and there is no question you slam the Flames but anyhow that does not matter.

A quick question how have you seen this player play live? Do you live in the states? If yes, did you watch Phaneuf play "live" in 2003?
1) Check that other forum again, and tell me exactly how many times I "slam the Flames".

2) If you have to know, I'm from Central Alberta, and was at the U18s in the Czech Republic.

The point is, going into the 2003, Phaneuf wasn't even a lock to go top 10, and he barely made it. At that time, I don't believe he was the player Johnson is now. That's all I'm saying, and I'm surprised you're getting so defensive about it.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Seachd said:
1) Check that other forum again, and tell me exactly how many times I "slam the Flames".

2) If you have to know, I'm from Central Alberta, and was at the U18s in the Czech Republic.

The point is, going into the 2003, Phaneuf wasn't even a lock to go top 10, and he barely made it. At that time, I don't believe he was the player Johnson is now. That's all I'm saying, and I'm surprised you're getting so defensive about it.

Point taken, I just hate these type of posts "player A" is much better than "Player B" as I have seen him play once. That type of arguement is completely a waste of time.

Sure Johnson maybe way better at this time but there is no way to proove it either way.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
He reminds me more and more of Ryan Suter: both americans, 6'1", with the same aggressive style of play and with strong offensive abilities.

A Good Flying Bird*

I just hate these type of posts "player A" is much better than "Player B" as I have seen him play once.]

You might want to avoid threads titled "PlayerA/PlayerB comparison"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->