Phaneuf/Frattin/Bailey/Rupert/Donaghey for Cowen/Greening/Michalek/Lindberg/2nd '17

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
When the trade is all said and done, it will workout that Ottawa will end up paying Dion 4.3 mil a season, I believe.

What are you talking about?

This year he makes 7.5M then 7M, 6.5M, 6.5M and finally 5.5M how does that work out to 4.1 M a season?

You do know that Ottawa is on the hook for the bonuses now?

That is a ton of money to pay a #3 D man who play is deteriorating.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
At the end of the day Dion is what, 7m AAV? That's what mattered most to the Leafs. Other teams might care about reals dollars, but it's all about the future cap space here with some players likely demanding good money if their progression goes as planned.

It was a fantastic deal for us from a cap space perspective. Took on extra in a time where it didn't matter, to get that wiggle room when it will matter.

ForSpareParts*

The season hasn't started so Toronto could move some of these guys (trades/demotions/buy outs). I hope this happens, but I am not holding my breath. No team will want to help us and take our bad players.

In the meantime how close are we to getting a #3-4 defenseman? Will our D prospects finally shine? It seems like forever since we've been surprised with a D prospect. Ian White was maybe the last to get our interest and excitement?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
The season hasn't started so Toronto could move some of these guys (trades/demotions/buy outs). I hope this happens, but I am not holding my breath. No team will want to help us and take our bad players.

In the meantime how close are we to getting a #3-4 defenseman? Will our D prospects finally shine? It seems like forever since we've been surprised with a D prospect. Ian White was maybe the last to get our interest and excitement?

Zaitsev is the only new addition who may eventually fill a top 4 role.

None of our recently drafted D prospects are ready to make that leap. As it is most except for maybe Dermott don't project to being top 2 or 3 defencemen...guys like Valiev could peak at top 4...but they still have a ways to go before reaching that peak.

ForSpareParts*

None of our recently drafted D prospects are ready to make that leap. As it is most except for maybe Dermott don't project to being top 2 or 3 defencemen...guys like Valiev could peak at top 4...but they still have a ways to go before reaching that peak.

Oof! Oh boy. :(

Pholus

May 23, 2014

We already have one. Jake Gardiner says hi...

Mr Hockey*

If Zaitsev can not make the Leafs top 4 out of training camp! I would release him the day after camp breaks.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It will be most interesting how insignificant Dions cap hit will be to the budget team in 2019 when Karlsson will be looking for likely the top NHL salary, or close to it. They will still have 2 years of Phaneuf @ 7 and 3 years of Ryan @ 7.25. Not to mention hits of risers such as Stone and Ceci etc.

For the 2019 season you are referring to, they have $24.4 m committed. Between that, trades, cap increases and god knows what else, hard to say whether they'll be in dire straits or not. We can hope for sure.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Phaneuf and his laughable contact got moved with NO retention.

That's all I needed

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
That trade provided many intangibles.

Cap room
Regime change
Fresh start

The greatest asset I see from that trade was paving the path for Rielly to step into Dion's spot. Rielly became the big man on D and I think we'll see it amp up his development. I am expecting big things from Rielly this year, and I have a very strong feeling he is going to breakout. This is in part I believe from handing him the reins last year and the fact Babcock got to focus on working and developing Rielly as the #1 and not having to worry about Phaneuf.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
After the Greening/Cowan/Michalek are off the books next summer,

Ottawa has 4 years of Phanuef at 7m a year cap hit.

The Leafs will have 7m a year to spend elsewhere....a lot better than having a Phanuef on your team and LWer Lindberg and Ottawa's 2nd rounder in 2017.

It was absolute steal by the Leafs, never mind starting over with a new leadership and culture.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad