Phaneuf accomplishment overlooked

A Good Flying Bird*

Jaded-Fan said:
Just a quick search with his name yeilded hundreds and hundreds of threads mentioning him, all positive by the way, and many recent threads with the sole topic being him, all positive again. Such as:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=241480&highlight=Phaneuf

He is one of those players that would be worth it, no question. Teams are going to have a hell of a time keeping guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, Phaneuf, etc. The owners really would have been smart to work in some sort of franchise player clause like the NFL has.

Then again, RFAs can be matched, so even if one of those guys gets a max offer for a ridiculous length of time, the team will certainly match it.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=241066&highlight=Phaneuf

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=239753&highlight=Phaneuf

Phaneuf=Best rookie d-man since Bourque
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=238641&highlight=Phaneuf

Phaneuf has recieved huge amounts of attention and all of it positive. If anyone has a right to complain about his achievements being overlooked or discounted, it is Crosby who whatever NHL record he breaks or expectation that he blows by, he get labled with something like whiner, diver, puppy stealer, Ovechkin spot light stealer, and on and on to discount what he does on the ice.

Good Lord, Jaded.
Do you ever stop? Pittsburg deserves more of this. Crosby doesn't get enough attention.
Crosby doesn't get enough attention?
He gets SOOOOOOOO much attention that he's getting the BACKLASH as well.

I think the poster is absolutely spot on. Phaneuf's 20 goals are pretty remarkable for a rookie defenseman.
I've been flabbergasted by Schneider's goals production on the Detroit blueline It's just rare to see 20 goals from NHL defenseman. And Schneider is pretty one dimensional.
Phanuef (though he still gets burned like rookie defenseman sometimes do) is also a tremendous physical presence.

I guarantee you that if you did a poll of the general population (RE: NOT ONLY the AVID hockey fans on HF), more people would know Crosby than Ovechkin and Phaneuf (not to mention Lundquist).

On these boards, perhaps, Phaneuf gets a lot of attention (this is hockeysfuture, of course) But how much play does Phaneuf get on ESPN compared to Crosby and Ovechkin (just asking, because I don't watch sportscenter). I'd be willing to bet that it is CONSIDERABLY less)

Flames Will

Aug 2, 2005
ESPN tends to cover eastern teams more and has a stronger emphasis towards US based teams as well - both strikes against thier coverage of Phanuef. But Even Slam Sports did not profile an article dedicated towards Phaneufs accomplishment... They did one for Ovechkin and Crosby, but did not profile one to Phaneufs 20 goals by a rookie defenseman, instead it was mentioned in passing in another article and also at the bottom of one of their articles as "other notes".

The intent is not to whine, the intent of this post was simply to say that there are two strikes agaisnt Phaneuf:
1. Plays for a western Canadain Team
2. Defenseman
Both of these tend to get less coverage for the accomplishments anyway - but now add in 2 incredable...no Phenomenal rookies in Crosby and Ovechkin and you have yet another reason why his accomplishment is overlooked....

When nhl.com places an article on Robitaille to retire at seasons end versus an article on the here and now of a significant accomplishment - that should say tons...

Randall Graves*

How can anyone say anything Phanuef has done has been overlooked? Please someone just answer that question!

A Good Flying Bird*

RallyKiller said:
How can anyone say anything Phanuef has done has been overlooked? Please someone just answer that question!

Read the freakin' thread.

How many mentions had Phanuef had on ESPN this year compared to Crosby and Ovechkin?

At a site called hockeysfuture, he gets a ton of credit. But I think he's been overlooked in the regular media, compared to the other rookies this year.
Part of the problem, IMO, is that the west barely plays the east anymore, and so much of the media is based in the east.
Other reasons include, he's a defenseman, he doesn't score amazing breakaway goals, he's playing in Canada ... etc. etc.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
TinCanCommunications said:

How many mentions had Phanuef had on ESPN this year compared to Crosby and Ovechkin?

At a site called hockeysfuture, he gets a ton of credit. But I think he's been overlooked in the regular media, compared to the other rookies this year.
Part of the problem, IMO, is that the west barely plays the east anymore, and so much of the media is based in the east.
Other reasons include, he's a defenseman, he doesn't score amazing breakaway goals, he's playing in Canada ... etc. etc.
he actually had a sick goal vs. the Preds this year on a breakaway. :D

Transported Upstater

Anyone who looks to ESPN for hockey analysis is a moron.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
This very thread in proving Phaneufs accomplishments are overlooked. He may be getting lots of press as a gread player but the individual accomplishments are being overlooked.

Historically and in this season Phaneufs 20 goals are every bit as impressive as Ovechkin hitting 50. Yet most posters here don't seem to realize it.

Question. If Phaneuf were to break the Defensemen rookie goals record would you give him the Calder?

I am a big Phaneuf fan but i have him as the number 2 rookie behind Ovechkin but before Crosby and Lundqvist.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't know if I'd put him ahead of Lundvist, without Lundy the Ranger's aren't a playoff team. I think Phaneuf's underrated tag has lead him to get more press than he may deserve. He's a solid D-man who has great PP Stats. I heard people mentioning him for the Norris and as the best D-man in the league. I don't think it's a case of him not getting recognized, as much as it is the general population doesn't know the goal record for rookie D-men.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
or doesn't understand how much harder it is to be a dominant defensemen as a rookie then a dominant forward.

A Good Flying Bird*

TransportedUpstater said:
Anyone who looks to ESPN for hockey analysis is a moron.

So? Are you refuting my general point? Or just making a comment about ESPN.
Like it or not, ESPN is still a big time sports voice in the USA.
I never watch it myself.
But joe sports fans does. And Joe Sports fan might have at least some inkling of Crosby and Ovechkin because of ESPN. He probably doesn't know a damn thing about Phaneuf.

Transported Upstater

So? Are you refuting my general point? Or just making a comment about ESPN.
Like it or not, ESPN is still a big time sports voice in the USA.
I never watch it myself.
But joe sports fans does. And Joe Sports fan might have at least some inkling of Crosby and Ovechkin because of ESPN. He probably doesn't know a damn thing about Phaneuf.

I am not refuting your general point.

I'm just saying that if American fans rely on ESPN for their hockey coverage, hockey will never grow in this country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad