WJC: PGT: Semifinal #1: USA vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISC*

I'll say before the lock that it's annoying that from now on USA is apparently going to have medaled because Subban choked, Spott should be flipping burgers not coaching, and Murphy was atrocious. That's the majority of what I've seen here and on Twitter.

Dude, Canadian here. Americans played world class hockey.

No excuse. We got thumped.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I'll say before the lock that it's annoying that from now on USA is apparently going to have medaled because Subban choked, Spott should be flipping burgers not coaching, and Murphy was atrocious. That's the majority of what I've seen here and on Twitter.

Why do you care? Be happy that US is playing in the Gold medal game.

For the record, the whole team sucked.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Only one I can think of that did that was Castillo. Corona was with the US team first. Gomez, Bornstein, Torres etc never played for Mexico. The youth program is full of latino players.

See, this is why Canadians hate when the US wins. When we win, the conversation never descends into soccer analogies. :sarcasm:

I can see that, a bit. I mean I know that's partially why. But I never crossed the two. I never mixed up international affairs with the NHL. Up until I started getting called a traitor, I never really differentiated between American players and Canadian ones or American teams and Canadian ones. I didn't care. It was a non-issue. Canadians need to stop acting like they wanna take their ball and go home. I don't mean to you, but it's the attitude of many. I mean hey, makes for a good rivalry and heated match-ups, but I just wish my fellow Canadians weren't so offended at anything and everything that has to do with the US. And when the US does win a game or a tourney, handle it with class and admit that we aren't as dominant as we once were rather than opening up the big book of excuses, and getting in to politics.

And as far as a player's roots, what truly matters is where they're trained, not where their dad or mom or grandfather was born. If we traced everyone's roots I think European nations would be the only ones playing. Heck Mike Modano would be on Team Italy.

There's nothing political about it, just nationalistic. If there were no such thing as national pride, there'd be no value in teams divided by national allegiances. US population and money occasionally threaten in various ways to appropriate what makes Canada unique, and some people don't like it. That's understandable to me, even if I don't turn into an arrogant and insulting goof on account of it. There's no excuse for that.

Of course they don't but the point is they exist.

What? Idiotic Canadians with internet access?

Yep, we have those.

I have a question on this. I do see a lot of Canadian kids as well, but how do you account for the fact our US system and developmental program seems to really pump up these kids values? They target them and make their development paramount. Team USA is filled with lots of second generation pro kids, but man they seem to do a lot more with them and I find that interesting.

Also could point out Zack Parise and some of the other guys constantly pointed out here think of themselves as American. It is their choice that is how they view themselves as individuals and their say in the matter is ultimately what matters. For the most part these guys aren't the Brett Hull type situations anymore. Some of them with options to pursue Canada or in one kids case this year Russia have made the choice that they are American and people should repsect that.

I don't begrudge these kids for choosing to represent the country they grew up in. For Candians, it's just the unfortunate inevitability of hundreds of Canadian pro hockey players following the money, which usually follows population.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad