Petri Kontiola

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Faktisti, settle down. You're making a fool of yourself..

Kontiola is a great player, but i dont think that he's the next Koivu after two games against weak opponents.

Faktisti*

Faktisti, settle down. You're making a fool of yourself..

Kontiola is a great player, but i dont think that he's the next Koivu after two games against weak opponents.

went allmost nhl last year, cause the season was great. this season was also great! played allmost every europen hockeu tour tournament and we all saw how could he can play in that wc level.

and now this tournament. in the first training match against canada, he had points 0+2

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
The biggest problem for Kontiola is that he has to play in old school Blackhawks. They play quite horrible hockey and dumb the puck and skate after it. Though he has better chance to get offensive role in the team.

Let's see how he will perform against bigger countries.

Joretus

Yes, that is really great when you make 1+5 against those opponents.

Kontiola and Tomi Kallio, the dynamic duo of important games...

Still Tomi Kallio have better PPG even against bigger countries than most of finnish players. I don't like Kallio at all and he is just going down, but he were better than ppl are saying.

And I bet you know how Kontiola have played before against bigger countries since Kontiola have played against only top nations in EHT and training games. But seems like you know already how he will play. So I'm asking about next saturday's lotto numbers as well.

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003
The biggest problem for Kontiola is that he has to play in old school Blackhawks. They play quite horrible hockey and dumb the puck and skate after it.

This is a myth that was created by fans and people because they needed a reason why the Hawks have been losing.

The don't play some sort of sassquatch anitiquated system. They are coached right now by one of the most creative and free wheeling forwards in history.

You bring up an old cliche.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
This is a myth that was created by fans and people because they needed a reason why the Hawks have been losing.

The don't play some sort of sassquatch anitiquated system. They are coached right now by one of the most creative and free wheeling forwards in history.

Savvy has them dump the puck constantly.

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003
Savvy has them dump the puck constantly.

Yes. Savvy does. But before I make several statements, ask yourself why someone like Savvy would strive teach his players not to play like how he played and succeeded?

The dump is used to get it deep into the zone. It works. There isn't one team that doesn't use it. If you can skate it in and make a play you do it. But you will never see a game where one is used 100% of the time in exclusion of ANY puck dumps.

You all also confusing the system with the implimentation. We have failed to impliment because we can't hold onto the puck. We lost it all the time carrying it in and we also were never able to retreive the puck after we dumped it in. Sometimes it isnt' the strategy or the idea, but the implimentation. People tied stones to Yawneys shoes and sunk him, screaming strategy, coaching. blah blah.

What people dont' want to face is the players just didn't impliment. Period. No magic. There isn't a coach that makes it to the NHL that doesn't know the basics of hockey. That is ludicrous.

We lack players that can hold on to the puck and work the eboards. The coach knows it. The GM knows it. That is why Tallon likes Zeus so much. That is Zeus's game.

Stop tying rocks to the feet to see if they witch floats!

Keypoints:

- It isn't rocket science, if you can keep puck possesion you do it. But we couldn't.

- Some more than others, but every team dumps the puck in during a game. I just watched Buffalo dump it numerous times. The Rangers dumped it quite a few times also in the span of 5 mintutes.

Last edited:

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
I agree that the system is tied to the team's skill and very few players on the Hawks have the ability to control the puck, which is why they dump and chase more than any other team.

But dont act like Savard is as creative of a coach as he was as a player. Whether it is his fault or the players' fault; it could be argued either way.

It is his failure as the head coach to keep the team onboard with whatever system he tried to implement. For all we know he could have attempted to use a masterful team system, but if he cant sell it to the players it really doesnt matter.

The only thing that worked with Savard as coach was when he gave the players free range in the offensive zone when he first took the job, and that lasted about a month.

The last thing a young and inexperienced group of players needs it an inexperienced coach. Savard was an assistant coach for 7 losing seasons out of 8 and 1 losing season as head coach.

I love Savard as a player and a Blackhawk, but if the Hawks are going to make it to the playoffs in the next year or two, it will be with someone else behind the bench and a different GM.

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003
Well. It is a clear response. You have no faith in Savards abilities as a coach.

I however, go by the theory that if we always look for experience as a indicator of wether somebody is good at anything, then once all the experienced people die, we are is serious trouble.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
When Salmo came to the Finnish national team he said it's clad to play hockey again...it wasn't in Chicago that way, just dump the puck and skate after it was his words. Hmmm. (But it's words from a european player)

And your ex coach Alpo Suhonen have said that Blackhawks are staying too much in the "old way". Where's the problem or are they wrong or just european?

Last edited:

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
I am still not as down on Salmo as 99.9% of hawk fans. But he is a bad fit for this team-- for sure.

The fact is, the only way Salmo can be successful in the NHL is to play a cherry picking and/or pure transition game.

I think he would have some impact on a Trapping team-- because if a turnover was created in the neutral zone, there are maybe 3-4 guys in the league that could get in position going bad the other way.

With the hawks, where he was benched for cheating out of the zone-- it just didn't work.

-fullmetalninja

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003
When Salmo came to the Finnish national team he said it's clad to play hockey again...it wasn't in Chicago that way, just dump the puck and skate after it was his words. Hmmm. (But it's words from a european player)

And your ex coach Alpo Suhonen have said that Blackhawks are staying too much in the "old way". Where's the problem or are they wrong or just european?

lol. it is certainly not because he is european.

but if you want to discuss the differences in the hockey between europe and NHL we can. the rink is smaller in the NHL, so there are more defenders on you when you try to carry the puck into the zone.

the ability to hold on to it is not all skill. Havlat is skilled, but he looses it all the time carrying it in. It could be him, it could be that teamates aren't getting open quick enough for him to get rid of it before it is taken away. Regardless, the Hawks failed at it. They also failed at dumping it in.

My point is simple, while you may have a preference to the type of system used, they both work. I really like it when we carry it in successfully and setup a play. But dumping it in and pounding them at the boards is good to do once in awhile. It shakes things up, wears down there players, put them in the pocket and make s your team un-predictable.

I can't tell you how sick I got of us staying on the perimeter, the boards for too long then just loosing the puck. Very frustrating.

But rather than point to the system as the Hawks woes, the truth is the players failed to impliment anything.

Also, as far as Salmo and Alpo. They have there opinion. Someone always does when losing is involved.

It doesn't suprise me that Salmo doesn't believe in the system when it never worked for him. He probably feels like it put in a situation where he couldn't succeed.

But he really should dig deep inside himself and stop looking for an external reason for things not working for him. Some players can make it work and he couldn't. Again it is a team game. You can play a system to the tee, but if the other 2 players on your line aren't where they ares supposed to be when they are supposed to be, the line fails, despite the individual.

Salmo also lost th epuck when he carried it in instead of dumping it. He got knocked off to quickly to get a decent shot.

IMO it doesn't make them bad players, just seemed like we had a lot of players that weren't good at keeping the puck. We need that type of player, which we had in Zeus, we had in Calder. We need to compliment the Havlats, the Salmos (who only work well with space), with the glue type players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->