Petr Vrana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
He's having a pretty good year with Halifax as team captain, and the Devils drafted him pretty high up there with high expectations. I know Vrana has a shot at the NHL, but what are his odds? What kind of player is he going to be when he moves up - how will his skill set translate over?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I don't feel he is having all that great a year. He should be an important cog on the Czech team at the WJC. He had offseason shoulder surgery so I don't know what to expect from him really. Halifax is a low low scoring team with a poor PP. A poor PP takes away alot of extra points he should have.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I haven't seen him play, but what I've heard about him I like. With that being said:

I think down the line it might be hard for him to get substantial playing time. Devils look pretty promising at center with Gomez, Madden now and Parise, Foster and Khumotov in Albany and Zajak progressing well at UND.

MattNJD

Oct 21, 2002
New Jersey
MeffyuhTJRest said:
I think down the line it might be hard for him to get substantial playing time. Devils look pretty promising at center with Gomez, Madden now and Parise, Foster and Khumotov in Albany and Zajak progressing well at UND.

Foster will never see NHL ice time, and I have doubts about Khumotov as well. Way to early to know if Zajac is the real deal or not. I would say Vrana has as good a chance as anyone of Foster, Khumotov, or Zajac at this point in all of their careers.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I've watched probably 8-10 Mooseheads games this year, mostly on TV, and I'm not sure I see Vrana as more than a third liner. He has some decent skill, and every now and then a flashy move or two, but he's more noticeable to me as a pesky all-round player. I'd compare him to Petr Kanko, having seen a lot of both in their junior careers. He's defenitely not having a good season offensively, but Halifax as a team isn't scoring a lot either. But he's never really the biggest offensive threat out there, with Sparre, Bernier or Guenette usually being more dangerous, at least IMO.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
've watched probably 8-10 Mooseheads games this year, mostly on TV, and I'm not sure I see Vrana as more than a third liner. He has some decent skill, and every now and then a flashy move or two, but he's more noticeable to me as a pesky all-round player. I'd compare him to Petr Kanko, having seen a lot of both in their junior careers. He's defenitely not having a good season offensively, but Halifax as a team isn't scoring a lot either. But he's never really the biggest offensive threat out there, with Sparre, Bernier or Guenette usually being more dangerous, at least IMO.

Sergei Brylin comparison sound good to you?

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
Vrana already is signed with the Devils so I expect to see him in Albany next year.

Offensively his stats are a bit under what I expected from him this year but he is coming back from a major injury so we'll see in the 2nd half of the season...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Flame_Star_Devil said:
If Vrana became the second coming of Sergei Brylin, I'd be very happy. Brylin has been one of the key players on NJ for the last ten years.

Wouldn't you say he was a bit of a product of the system, however?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vrana's max upside is a 2nd liner, future captain. The guy is a born leader. Was captain at 18. He has NHL speed. He is a smart player, he doesnt have jaw dropping skills but he has enough raw talent to work with.

5'11 185 is what he is now...if he is lucky 6'00 190 would be his max id say...not a bad size, especially considering the amount of grit he has.

His defensive game is advanced, he is responisble and i think he could easily play in Albany next season and not be a liability like so many 20 year old players.

hockey observer

Mar 12, 2004
WOW.....................you guys hit Vrana right on the mark. I saw him against Cape Breton couple of weeks ago, 5 break aways, 2 on 2 shifts on Houle and no finish....grant it Houle saw 50 shots that night buthe just reminds me of Brylin as well. Very skilled , but Euopean-soft. Halifax will make a couple of big trades before the deadline, bring in a little more experience and I think Vrana's numbers will improve .

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
hockey observer said:
WOW.....................you guys hit Vrana right on the mark. I saw him against Cape Breton couple of weeks ago, 5 break aways, 2 on 2 shifts on Houle and no finish....grant it Houle saw 50 shots that night buthe just reminds me of Brylin as well. Very skilled , but Euopean-soft. Halifax will make a couple of big trades before the deadline, bring in a little more experience and I think Vrana's numbers will improve .
His numbers will never inprove under the coaches system. Halifax plays all defense, then some more defense. What people should look upon for his upside offensivly is his first year in the QMJHL. He posted 83 points in 72 games....that included 37 goals. Since then he has been asked to play defense, on the pk, be a leader and he has done all those things. If Vrana is used in an offensive role he will light the lamp big time.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JasonMacIsaac said:
His numbers will never inprove under the coaches system. Halifax plays all defense, then some more defense. What people should look upon for his upside offensivly is his first year in the QMJHL. He posted 83 points in 72 games....that included 37 goals. Since then he has been asked to play defense, on the pk, be a leader and he has done all those things. If Vrana is used in an offensive role he will light the lamp big time.

No they dont. The coach has been the same since 2000 and we have had Jason King who scored 63 in one year, then had 6 30 goal scorers in 01/02.

Mackenzie isnt a trap coach. He expects ALL of his players to be defensivly responsible. Is that such a bad thing??

The whole team this year got off to miserable starts offensivly. We were averaging 2 goals a game but were getting 35 shots. All of a sudden something clicked 3 weeks ago and we have been on a torrid 6 goal a game pace.

I especially disagree with your last line saying if Vrana was used in an offensive role he would light the lamo big time. Hello!!! He is our #1 center, and #1 PP and often doubel shifts on other lines. He is being used in an offensive role. There was a stretch of games where he was getting 5-6 scoring chances a game, 2-3 breakways and he wasnt capitalizing. Dont blame the coach because Petr couldnt finish his mulitiple chances.

That being said, he was going through a slump, like any other player. He is still a very gifted player who should be a good NHLer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad