Apr 8, 2015
I propose:

AA
Mrazek
Sheahan

for

Galchenyuk
Montoya

The piece that puts it over is Sheahan, since Bergevin won't be able to resist adding another bottom 6 plug.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Very surprised Mrazek didn't get picked up Vegas. Given the Fleury injury Vegas could use somewhat of a dependable #1 goalie.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Galchenyuk for Zetterberg and AA favors the Habs. When the Habs add and also take on a bad goalie contract, it evens the trade value IMO. But it's ok. You don't like the deal. My problem is it's closer in value than most are willing to admit considering circumstances.

There are many Habs fans that wouldn't even touch the deal I proposed. So I don't believe I'm overvaluing Galchenyuk.

Why the heck do you keep proposing it then? Wings have been saying the same thing a bazillion times whenever Z is involved.

He will only be traded if he asks out. Detroit is not like Montreal, who've tossed loyalty out the window, especially when it comes to fan favourites. Heck, our whole grind line were practically Wings lifers. 2/3 who are still with the organization today in different roles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
When someone can't debate and thinks their teams players value at the age of 37 on a bad contract has more value than a 23 year old who is a proven 50-60 pts, 20-30 goal player over the last 3 years.

You provide no evidence. You should think for a moment before calling others out and supplying no material of your own
Want a complete outsiders view? Good...Zetterberg is the face of the redwings fact. Yes he's on a contract that's less then optimal...he's EARNED it. AA isn't signed because he doesn't like the contract and or the way things have gone, has zero to do with cap space and more to what the wings value him at.
Mrazek has a real attitude problem as alluded to by the wings over the summer...he's also been overtaken again by Howard and even though Howard is getting older it's a more favorable thing for him to play. On the montreal side of things you are offering a bottom 6 guy...a career back up, who has no chance of being anything but, and the centerpiece is a guy who has hit 50 points once and been demoted to the 4th line for...attitude problems and a lack of work ethic...besides if AG is so good in your opinion...why do you keep wanting to trade him anywhere and everywhere? Maybe you know what we all know? The guy is not a good character guy.I know why...you're trying to HELP detroit out of the kindness of your heart.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Zetterberg for 1 or 2 years (hopefully) plus AA = Galchenyuk for 3 years at $4.9M. You have to consider that AA is a young player so in a few years it really comes down to Galchenyuk for AA after we try to go on a deep playoff run with Zetterberg.

Just because you bold and underline something doesn't make it true...

Galch= AA , roughly. Alex is a bit more established, but AA will be cheaper, age is same. Not AA AND Z (who if he did want out of Detroit, would prob be worth about a 1st as a 1.5yr rental)

No sane GM would trade a DRW lifer like Z just for a couple mil of cap relief after you factor the dead weight of hemsky/Montoya (which if they are trading AA, they don't even really need)

As for the op, it'll be hard to find a taker, just the way the market is now. I think give it a little more time for teams like ARI and WPG to see if their situations can be salvaged, and if not you may get a nibble

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Already assessed this. There will be interest in Zetterberg but not many teams are able to take on that salary and contract. Also, If the Wings are willing to let him retire and get nothing in return, that's not smart management. I don't believe everything that is relayed through the media. You can though

As far as other teams will offer more? I doubt there are too many talents like Galchenyuk that are going to be offered. But Julien is playing him on the 4th line so he's a 4th line player forever right?

Galchenyuk + Cap Space = Value for the Wings.

Players like Zetterberg deserve the loyalty of staying with the team they have played their whole careers with (Unless they want to leave, which he doesn't appear to). Not every player has to be dealt while you still can, especially not heart and soul members of an organization. Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic are perfect examples of this, they weren't traded for futures, eventhough both teams knew they were retiring, because that is not how you treat players like that.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The Leafs don't need him, but I think the Rangers could use him. They should blow it up and trade Lundqvist and some other guys, and a Goalie like Mrazek would be a great replacement. I think he's a good young(ish) Goalie who can definitely be a starter in the NHL.

Rangers offer.........two 2nd rounders.

Mrazek for two 2nds? DONE!

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I'm not sure I understand the point you are making. I was referring to Detroit, who already has Zetter. Just because they would be rebuilding / retooling, does not mean they have to move him for the first offer that comes. I can almost bet a team like Nashville would give a better package of futures than what you proposed from the Habs. I can probably name quite a few teams actually..

Preds
Ducks
Blues
Sens

off the top of my head are all competing and can all use a star forward added. All can afford him with retained salary, and all can offer a better package of futures.

Don't see the Blues or Ducks in on this. Sucks maybe if they want him to play wing, I'll speak for the Blues though. We are hurt, injury has really screwed us right now. No way we are moving anything of value prospect wise this year for Zetterberg esp since Detroit would have to retain salary meaning value increases. Unless they are looking for Sanford and or possibly Schmaltz we don't have room. Next year if he's still performing possibly yeah especially if Fabbs is good to go.

Fabbri getting hurt kind of killed us. That was our young top 6 ELC player while we still may be a playoff team, contention probably isn't in the cards unless we get consistent goaltending and depth scoring throughout the year.

If I were Detroit I would probably ask Zetterberg what he wants. He was a part of the Red Wings franchise at the time when they were great. Essentially their last remaining piece of that. If he states he wants to be on a contending team trade him. If not keep him, let him retiree a wing.

I understand this can be considered as poor asset management, but it's a hell of a great PR situation and it also looks good for upcoming FAs who see loyalty within the franchise.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
When someone can't debate and thinks their teams players value at the age of 37 on a bad contract has more value than a 23 year old who is a proven 50-60 pts, 20-30 goal player over the last 3 years.
Honest question: what's so bad about Z's contract? The way he's playing, he's more than worth the money and with every new contract signed he gets cheaper relative to the rest of the league.

He's got a 6 million cap hit and scored 68 points last season.

Eichel (57 points) - signed 10M AAV contract
O'Reilly (55 points) - 7.5M cap hit
Kesler (58 points) - 6.8M cap hit
Stepan (55 points) - 6.5M cap hit
Toews (58 points) - 10.5M cap hit
Drouin (53 points) - 5.5M cap hit
H Sedin (50 points) - 7M cap hit
Thornton (50 points) - 8M cap hit
Couture (52 points) - 6M cap hit
Backes (38 points) - 6M cap hit
Landeskog (33 points) - 5.5M cap hit
Duchene (41 points) - 6M cap hit

and so on. And so far this season, Z is outscoring most of these guys.. again.

Yeah Hank is getting older. But value-wise it's closer to a great contract than a bad one.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
In my opinion, Florida Panthers are a logical destination for Mrazek. If Demko doesn't pan out, maybe Vancouver. Philly if Elliot goes bust. There are destinations for him but I'm not sure the return or timeframe would be as beneficisl to Detroit as right now.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
- You get the recapture penalty no matter what. Doesn't matter if he retires a Wing or not. The NHL is watching these $1M back end contacts very closely so beware the fake attempts at LTIR attempts. This will be a developing story that will be talked about in years to come.

- I realize you value Zetterberg high and I don't blame you. I suspect the Habs will also value Weber very high when he reaches age 37 and has a very similar contract left. However, getting a Galchenyuk (Age 23, 3 years at $4.9M) type return is something you will not get from most, if not any teams.

- I repeat, If you don't want Galchenyuk or do not value Galchenyuk, all is good. You can keep AA in Europe, Zetterberg and ride off in the sunset in a year or two, and try offloading that bad goalie contract on other teams.

How is Mrazek's contract bloated anyway? Only one more season at 4 mil, and at the rate he's going at he'll have to take a much lower cap hit going forward. Wings are better off hoping he rebounds or simply trade later for a pick or two.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
How is Mrazek's contract bloated anyway? Only one more season at 4 mil, and at the rate he's going at he'll have to take a much lower cap hit going forward. Wings are better off hoping he rebounds or simply trade later for a pick or two.

honest question, when was the last time a RFA signed with his current team for a significant pay cut??? (I don't even know if this is a realistic option)

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
honest question, when was the last time a RFA signed with his current team for a significant pay cut??? (I don't even know if this is a realistic option)

You mean as in RFA's that took a cap hit that was lower than his initial deal with the same team,right? Well I mean now that you say it I think that might be unheard of, at least without doing research, so you're probably right.

Well considering he's off his current deal after this season I reckon the best option would be to trade him right around the draft for a pick. Considering his current cap-hit is of concern to teams that most likely has another goalie signed at around the same figure, and I doubt any team would a 100% commit to Mrazek as their full time starter at this point in his career.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
You mean as in RFA's that took a cap hit that was lower than his initial deal with the same team,right? Well I mean now that you say it I think that might be unheard of, at least without doing research, so you're probably right.

Well considering he's off his current deal after this season I reckon the best option would be to trade him right around the draft for a pick. Considering his current cap-hit is of concern to teams that most likely has another goalie signed at around the same figure, and I doubt any team would a 100% commit to Mrazek as their full time starter at this point in his career.

Actually, to answer BC's questions, one of the more notorious instances was Justin Schultz with the Pens. However, the Pens weren't the team that signed him to the deal that would've made him an RFA.

The Oilers weren't going to give Schultz (who similar to Mrazek was at one point highly touted as a future key player but had fallen off after a few seasons) his $3.9M qualifying offer, so they put him on the market at the deadline and sent him to the Pens for a 3rd rounder. He rebounded with the Pens, but they too didn't want to give him a $3.9M offer (yet). So they let him go as a UFA and convinced him to come back for one year at $1.4M (partly to save them cap space), which made him an RFA needing a much lower QO the next summer.

The Red Wings will likely be in a similar pickle with Mrazek this season. Unless he has some miraculous turn around, he's unlikely to be worth the $4.15M offer required to be retained as an RFA.

Trading him around the draft doesn't really make sense, because the team that acquires him would do so knowing they have to make the same QO to retain him. And being his last year of RFA eligibility, Mrazek might only agree to that QO so he can leave whatever team traded for him as a UFA in 2019. There usually aren't a ton of goalie openings in the summer, so if a team is interested in Mrazek around the draft, they'd be better off waiting till he doesn't get qualified and then sign him up on 7/1 as a UFA for likely a good bit under the required QO amount.

That likely puts the Red Wings in the same situation that the Oilers were in with Schultz, meaning their best bet to get anything back from Mrazek would be to float him as a rental at the deadline, where they get a pick or middling prospect back. By that point, 3/4 of Mrazeks $4M cap hit has been eaten and the Wings could retain 50%, making Mrazek a minor $500k addition to whatever team takes a chance or adds him for insurance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezekial

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
In my opinion, Florida Panthers are a logical destination for Mrazek. If Demko doesn't pan out, maybe Vancouver. Philly if Elliot goes bust. There are destinations for him but I'm not sure the return or timeframe would be as beneficisl to Detroit as right now.

Aren't the Panthers locked down with Luongo and Reimer for the next handful of seasons?

As for other teams that might need a goalie for next season, if they want to take a chance on Mrazek, they'd be better off waiting to give him a cheaper "show me" 1yr deal if/when he hits the UFA market next summer, instead of giving up anything measurable for him to the Wings during the current season.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Actually, to answer BC's questions, one of the more notorious instances was Justin Schultz with the Pens. However, the Pens weren't the team that signed him to the deal that would've made him an RFA.

The Oilers weren't going to give Schultz (who similar to Mrazek was at one point highly touted as a future key player but had fallen off after a few seasons) his $3.9M qualifying offer, so the put him on the market at the deadline and sent him to the Pens for 3rd rounder. He rebounded with the Pens, but they too didn't want to give him a $3.9M offer (yet). So they let him go as a UFA and convinced him to come back for one year at $1.4M (partly to save them cap space), which made him an RFA needing a much lower QO the next summer.

The Red Wings will likely be in a similar pickle with Mrazek this season. Unless he has some miraculous turn around, he's unlikely to be worth the $4.15M offer required to be retained as an RFA.

Trading him around the draft doesn't really make sense, because the team that acquires him would do so knowing they have to make the same QO to retain him. And being his last year of RFA eligibility, Mrazek might only agree to that QO so he can leave whatever team traded for him as a UFA in 2019. There usually aren't a ton of goalie openings in the summer, so if a team is interested in Mrazek around the draft, they'd be better off waiting till he doesn't get qualified and then signing him up on 7/1 as a UFA for likely a good bit under the required QO amount.

That likely puts the Red Wings in the same situation that the Oilers were in with Schultz, meaning their best bet to get anything back from Mrazek would be to float him as a rental at the deadline, where the get a pick or middling prospect back. By that point, a 1/4 of Mrazeks $4M cap hit has been eaten and the Wings could retain 50%, making Mrazek a minor $500k addition to whatever team takes a chance or adds him for insurance.

Oh so the QO has to match his previous deal? That's something I was unaware of, that truly changes the entire outlook on the Mrazek situation. Like you said, trading him around the draft would be impossible given that he continues to not live up to his current contract. This also means that Mrazek won't have very high value at all since whoever acquired him will take quite the risk.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Aren't the Panthers locked down with Luongo and Reimer for the next handful of seasons?

As for other teams that might need a goalie for next season, if they want to take a chance on Mrazek, they'd be better off waiting to give him a cheaper "show me" 1yr deal if/when he hits the UFA market next summer, instead of giving up anything measurable for him to the Wings during the current season.

Ooooo didn't realize Bobby Lou still had 5 more years on contract, that recapture is going to hurt. And I agree with you on that part that's more or less why I put the disclaimer at the end about time frame being beneficial to the Wings. I do believe that MRazek will get another legitimate shot to be a starting goalie though.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Oh so the QO has to match his previous deal? That's something I was unaware of, that truly changes the entire outlook on the Mrazek situation. Like you said, trading him around the draft would be impossible given that he continues to not live up to his current contract. This also means that Mrazek won't have very high value at all since whoever acquired him will take quite the risk.

Yes. It has to at least match the last seasons salary.

The QO situation seems to be what gets overlooked in Mrazek discussions. The conversation would be a lot different if he had ended up with a bridge deal that put him in the $2M range. However, after a season where he [stole the starter job, looked Vezina worthy for about 6 weeks, then did a complete 180 and was an absolute disaster for the last two months of the season, lost the job back to Howard, then gained it back for 3 playoff games], he wanted starter money (was asking for $5M, while the Wings were at $3M). He got a salary that put him somewhere around the 25th highest paid goalie in the league and hasn't lived up to it whatsoever.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Ooooo didn't realize Bobby Lou still had 5 more years on contract, that recapture is going to hurt. And I agree with you on that part that's more or less why I put the disclaimer at the end about time frame being beneficial to the Wings. I do believe that MRazek will get another legitimate shot to be a starting goalie though.

IMO it'll depend on how he finishes this season. If he drops another stinker in the 3.00GAA/.90SV% range, he might have to settle for a backup job and try to work his way back up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad