Petr Mrazek (33% retained)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Red Wings needs:

- Future pieces
- Free cap space for Athanasiou

Petr Mrazek traded somewhere, with a 2.68M caphit. This will open ~2M for Athanasiou and 613k for backup goalie Jared Coreau.

What would you offer?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I still think Mrazek can be a starter in this league. But it's getting pretty clear that it won't be in Detroit. They have proven that they don't want him, he is getting outplayed by Howard, and he seems to be getting worse.

I don`t think too many teams will be lining up for him, even at a reduced cap-hit. But he should get some attention. There`s a chance a team takes a spin on the goalie carousel and finds a starter with Mrazek.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Red Wings needs:

- Future pieces

Petr Mrazek traded somewhere, with a 2.68M caphit. This will open ~2M for Athanasiou and 613k for backup goalie Jared Coreau.

What would you offer?

The wings don't need 2.68m in cap space to sign AA. They need 1.25 or 1.9 for the next two years, if the rumors about the deals offered are to be believed. It has less to do with space and more to do with player worth evaluations.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Brian Elliott doesn't work out in Philly, I would think that Mrazek will be on their radar.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Rumors of attitude issue, and left unexposed to Vegas. Goalies already have low value, but him + his contract + those rumors = a cap dump type return.

Unless there is a big + with him, you won't be able to get a team to take him as a cap dump without another dump going back.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Zetterberg ($6.08M)
AA (RFA)
Mrazek ($4M)

for

Galchenyuk ($4.9M)
Hemsky ($1M)
Montoya ($1.06M)

Zetterberg put up 70 points on a god awful Detroit team, and looks elite again this year. Not only is this offer laughable, I would argue it is almost offensive to Detroit. AA for Galchenyuk is probably not that far off in value. Then two players who are not NHL caliber to accept a goalie dump and an elite player? Just terrible.

Reactions: BinCookin

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Zetterberg put up 70 points on a god awful Detroit team, and looks elite again this year. Not only is this offer laughable, I would argue it is almost offensive to Detroit. AA for Galchenyuk is probably not that far off in value. Then two players who are not NHL caliber to accept a goalie dump and an elite player? Just terrible.

Laugh all you want. Zetterberg is 37 this year and likely has this year and maybe next left until he retires. He still has value for sure but your not going to be able to trade him to many teams willing to take on salary and that contract. Lets also not pretend Zetterberg is 30

Reactions: TS Quint

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Laugh all you want. Zetterberg is 37 this year and likely has this year and maybe next left until he retires. He still has value for sure but your not going to be able to trade him to many teams willing to take on salary and that contract. Lets also not pretend Zetterberg is 30

Valid points, but let's also not pretend that if Detroit made it clear he was for sale, that there would be half the NHL lined up with offers better than what you proposed. On top of that, in this scenario they likely want futures, not a washed up back up goalie, a 4th line winger who looks to be done in the NHL, and to this point a wildly inconsistent player who doesn't have the compete to get off the 4th line.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I like how that is how all of your trade offers go, you make horribly lopsided trade proposals and then **** on who you're trying to acquire by saying "those guys suck and have no value anyway, no one will offer more than me". It's just clockwork at this point.

Reactions: martinez

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
For starters... In any deal for Mrazek, the Red Wings should probably aim to at the very least get a goalie back that is serviceable at the NHL level. As bad as Mrazek has been the past year and a half, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a Coreau/McCollum tandem if(more likely when...) Howard goes down for a measurable amount of time... Even an established #3 goalie wouldn't hurt.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Valid points, but let's also not pretend that if Detroit made it clear he was for sale, that there would be half the NHL lined up with offers better than what you proposed. On top of that, in this scenario they likely want futures, not a washed up back up goalie, a 4th line winger who looks to be done in the NHL, and to this point a wildly inconsistent player who doesn't have the compete to get off the 4th line.

Already assessed this. There will be interest in Zetterberg but not many teams are able to take on that salary and contract. Also, If the Wings are willing to let him retire and get nothing in return, that's not smart management. I don't believe everything that is relayed through the media. You can though

As far as other teams will offer more? I doubt there are too many talents like Galchenyuk that are going to be offered. But Julien is playing him on the 4th line so he's a 4th line player forever right?

Galchenyuk + Cap Space = Value for the Wings.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Already assessed this. There will be interest in Zetterberg but not many teams are able to take on that salary and contract. Also, If the Wings are willing to let him retire and get nothing in return, that's not smart management. I don't believe everything that is relayed through the media. You can though

As far as other teams will offer more? I doubt there are too many talents like Galchenyuk that are going to be offered. But Julien is playing him on the 4th line so he's a 4th line player forever right?

Galchenyuk + Cap Space = Value for the Wings.

Why would a rebuilding team care about cap space? They can also retain on the contract as well to make things work in the right deal. They also let Datsyuk retire for nothing as well. Same with Lidstrom. I don't see why they would be unwilling to do so with Zetterberg. I also think you are over rating Galcheyuk. At this point his 30 goal season is looking more and more like a fluke. He doesn't compete hard enough away from the puck, and is trending towards a change of scenery type trade more than being the main piece in a trade for a star.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would a rebuilding team care about cap space? They can also retain on the contract as well to make things work in the right deal. They also let Datsyuk retire for nothing as well. Same with Lidstrom. I don't see why they would be unwilling to do so with Zetterberg. I also think you are over rating Galcheyuk. At this point his 30 goal season is looking more and more like a fluke. He doesn't compete hard enough away from the puck, and is trending towards a change of scenery type trade more than being the main piece in a trade for a star.

Why would a rebuilding team go after a 37 year old who is one or 2 years from retirement? To make their team better and get a higher draft pick?

I am not overrating Galchenyuk. If I was, I would be asking for more than 2 years of Zetterberg (age 31, 38), AA, and taking on your bad goalie contract. It's ok, If you want AA to stay in Europe, Zetterberg to ride off in the sunset, and to keep your back-up goalie so you are hard against the cap, all the power to you.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Why would a rebuilding team go after a 37 year old who is one or 2 years from retirement? To make their team better and get a higher draft pick?

I'm not sure I understand the point you are making. I was referring to Detroit, who already has Zetter. Just because they would be rebuilding / retooling, does not mean they have to move him for the first offer that comes. I can almost bet a team like Nashville would give a better package of futures than what you proposed from the Habs. I can probably name quite a few teams actually..

Preds
Ducks
Blues
Sens

off the top of my head are all competing and can all use a star forward added. All can afford him with retained salary, and all can offer a better package of futures.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Don't have to trade anybody else and can expand the active roster to 23 players.

And this idea is more of getting rid of 4M sitting backup goalie.

While you're correct... the reason AA hasn't signed isn't because Detroit lacks cap room to give him the deal that Holland has offered him (which they do lack)... it's because AA doesn't like that deal and isn't interested in signing in Detroit for the deal being offered.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Kamiccolo may not be a red wings fan but he understands what is going on here:

Zetterberg is not just some old good player to us. He is not a "asset" that we want to trade for a 1st round pick.

Honestly I probably prefer we never trade him, and have him retire a life long red wing. Ask Ottawa how they feel about Alfredsson. thats how we feel about Zetterberg.

Look, we are likely to suck, we are likely to rebuild, and the main key in that rebuild is our own 1st round pick. Not other's draft picks. Also Mike Green is much better, younger, and a piece that if we traded, will leave our blue line as CLEARLY the worst in the NHL.

We are open to trading almost anyone. But Z is not a trade throw in. He is not a cap dump. If you said "i will take all Z's salary and you can have the 28th OA pick in the draft. I am inclined to say... no thanks. We like retiring our life long wings.

If Z asks out for a new team... different story entirely.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Red Wings needs:

- Future pieces

What would you offer?

The Leafs don't need him, but I think the Rangers could use him. They should blow it up and trade Lundqvist and some other guys, and a Goalie like Mrazek would be a great replacement. I think he's a good young(ish) Goalie who can definitely be a starter in the NHL.

Rangers offer.........two 2nd rounders.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
The Leafs don't need him, but I think the Rangers could use him. They should blow it up and trade Lundqvist and some other guys, and a Goalie like Mrazek would be a great replacement. I think he's a good young(ish) Goalie who can definitely be a starter in the NHL.

Rangers offer.........two 2nd rounders.

If I'm Ken Holland, I take that in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->