Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCur19

Sep 27, 2017
He’s a signed nhl goalie Edmonton will have him playing pro next year
I understand he's signed ... but EDM has a ton of goalies signed and believe Wells will return for his OA year for more improvements that he missed picking up this year as he did have a very off year

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
If we win tonight and Erie loses our pick goes to 4th overall instead of 3rd. If we lose out on Evan Vierling because of two meaningless games....

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
If we win tonight and Erie loses our pick goes to 4th overall instead of 3rd. If we lose out on Evan Vierling because of two meaningless games....
i think youre getting hungup on veirling 5-11 160lbs 27g 63pts i was there all week and tolnei (6-1 170 31g 84pts ) and cuylle (6-2 200lbs 33g 62pts) are pretty good picks as well wouldnt lose sleep with them picking anyone of these imo

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I understand he's signed ... but EDM has a ton of goalies signed and believe Wells will return for his OA year for more improvements that he missed picking up this year as he did have a very off year
Yeah I hear you I just think he needs to get behind some experienced d and not play with a young d in front of him again with petes if I’m an Edmonton development guy

MCur19

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah I hear you I just think he needs to get behind some experienced d and not play with a young d in front of him again with petes if I’m an Edmonton development guy

He does require a more skilled D in front of him .... I just hope we can do something this offseason to achieve this

Reactions: foghorn

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Burtsy its all good you are absolutely entitled to your opinion on an opinion based forum but you are also subjected to critisism of your opinion on a forum as well...i like to hear to pulse of the fans on here so if you "DONT LIKE THE SPOT THIS ORGANIZATION IS IN" what does that mean? you dont like the young talent selected recently? our goalies in waiting? the defence? break it down for me/us...personally i like our young players now that they are getting time to play and i believe Jones is going to be ok going forward just needs confidence and next year he'll carry the load in a year where the young players will get lots of ice and learn game in game out. I feel they need to hit a euro dman in the euro draft take a chance on a top guy maybe, they will be picking early so with some digging get a top dman to report. I think the 5th pick you are referring to is gallant an nhl drafted player? i agree however a more offensive guy could have been selected in that spot but he is a decent player its tough for peterborough i think because they have to be perfect on their picks as they dont attract those 5th 6th round top US guys or usually any top Euro picks or free agents so they have to soley rely on the OHL draft and thus I think they do a VERY good job in draft. look at the last few drafts and the subsequent gold cup picks from their draft and the NHL draft list each year usually up near top for number of guys on list maybe not 1st 2nd rounders but none the less on the list...lets see what real coach can do i say...keep posting your opinions burtsy we all make this forum what it is
Thankyou by the way I do like some of our picks love Gogolev Der Arguchintsev, Robertson, and Chisholm Our D needs the most improvement I feel I also think we need size and wingers who can Score, I have stated before Wells in my opinion did not perform well, it could have been the young D core ? The whole team did not play well in the d zone? Jones looks like he might be ok but time will tell, feel we should have used him more due to Wells year ? I know he faced a ton of shots, but when your top players are not your best players your in trouble. At the OHL cup really liked Owen Power d man for Mississauga Reps a horse and huge to boot heres hoping there are aton of skilled forward who can score, there are power forward wingers who can score with size and skill, again heres hoping? And if the kid says he won't play here draft him anyway, feel its a GM s only recourse? Move him later ? Question why doesn't David Branch put an end to Players and Agents telling teams they will not report to teams its not fair to those fans? We cannot all play for the Londons of the league?Loved Marlies d, top two guys but small?

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
IMO when the Russian unit was together early in the year they really struggled in the defensive zone. At this point though both SDA and Gogo have shown improvements on defense.......they are stronger and faster, winning more one on one battles and playing with more urgency in their own zone. All three still need to avoid “dangles” in their own end which often end up as turnovers and hang the defence and goalie out to dry.....(exhibit A - Jack Studnicka SH goal last night)

You are correct that their chemistry is something special. I’ll be interested to see who ends up playing with SDA and Gogo next season.
Robertson? would be fun to watch?

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Brockotten prospects says...Also should be noted that Gogolev's 24 even strength goals are 14th best in the OHL this year among all players. That's more than guys like Kyrou, Raddysh, Robertson, Tippett, and Ratcliffe.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
many problems with this team? says nothing? some one asked on here did you watch the last game? I'm not critical of anyone on here every one is entitled to their opinion! I have offered constructive solutions but some on here don't want you to say it? and attack people on here for their opinion ? I DONT LIKE THE SPOT THIS ORGANIZATION IS IN? I always get attacked on here by the same people? Section 7 fan tells me to stop following the Petes? He doesnt have the balls to tell me to my face ? If you disagree you disagree you don't have to insult people period. I don't like Mr. Oke , I think we need at change again? I have said I have followed the Draft every year in fact I watch lots of Minor Midget games to see who the Top players are? Was at OHL CUP this weekend, we have made poor choices at times with some of our picks? You can not pick a 5th overall player who does not score a goal all year? The GM is responsible for your talent or lack of talent on the ice period. Can just imagine the insults this will rain down on me????

Burtys, you were constantly saying how you were giving up your season tickets and how bad the team was, so I suggested that you move on if you were so unsatisfied. I called you out for constantly posting negative comments and trash talking the GM, who has not done that bad of a job. He has put together the most competitive teams on the ice since 2006 and it had brought the fans back to the games. The OHL is a continuous cycle, players are moving in and out every year and you are going to have down years that can't be avoided. Oke doesn't have the resources of the big market teams like London or Windsor. Kingston brought in a big name in Gilmore years ago and they've won two playoff series since! There is no big name person who can come in and magically turn this team into London, so get over it. If you take your eyes off the loss column and look at his whole body of work, any reasonable person can see that he turned a dumpster fire into something with potential.

These players are just KIDS and they come on here and read all of these comments. How do you think they feel when they read all of the negativity? Give that a thought.

And don't challenge my manhood. I have no interest in meeting someone as short-sighted as yourself.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Brick also said..Pavel Gogolev's one of only three first time draft eligibles in the OHL to hit the 30 goal mark (Svechnikov and Dudas). His 180 shots are 4th (behind Dellandrea, Dudas, and Akil Thomas). Underrated player for this year's draft. Brick also said..

Thanks brock some interesting facts he’s certainly turning out ok!

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
i think youre getting hungup on veirling 5-11 160lbs 27g 63pts i was there all week and tolnei (6-1 170 31g 84pts ) and cuylle (6-2 200lbs 33g 62pts) are pretty good picks as well wouldnt lose sleep with them picking anyone of these imo

I was at the OHL Cup and watched these players. I think Vierling becomes an OHL star. I think Cuylle and Tolnai will be solid... but I'd still prefer Vierling.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
May be just maybe Hull should have kept the Russian unit together they have chemistry together they have been magic in the offensive zone? I could not figure this out , when he broke them up was the start of this teams slide

It's because of how they played in their own end. Couldn't get the puck out. Remember?

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Robertson? would be fun to watch?

I was thinking the same Burtsy and certainly on the PP, but I'm worried about size and Robertson /SDA both seem most comfortable at center so that may be an issue.

Speaking of centermen......i'm concerned that Paquette and Gallant's noses may be out of joint if Robertson /SDA are centering the top two offensive lines. I'm not sure what will happen there.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I was thinking the same Burtsy and certainly on the PP, but I'm worried about size and Robertson /SDA both seem most comfortable at center so that may be an issue.

Speaking of centermen......i'm concerned that Paquette and Gallant's noses may be out of joint if Robertson /SDA are centering the top two offensive lines. I'm not sure what will happen there.
im hoping any noses out of joint based upon actual play, or lack thereof, will be dealt with accordingly with a new coach...onward and upward i say ice time will dictate if not producing youll be watching simple as that, like to see any lips dragging on the ground be traded early on in season, no negativity

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Well done you Petes!

This was a reallly hard season and it must have been hell battling through all the injuries etc-

Congratulations on finishing the year with all the class and dignity of true champions!

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Burtys, you were constantly saying how you were giving up your season tickets and how bad the team was, so I suggested that you move on if you were so unsatisfied. I called you out for constantly posting negative comments and trash talking the GM, who has not done that bad of a job. He has put together the most competitive teams on the ice since 2006 and it had brought the fans back to the games. The OHL is a continuous cycle, players are moving in and out every year and you are going to have down years that can't be avoided. Oke doesn't have the resources of the big market teams like London or Windsor. Kingston brought in a big name in Gilmore years ago and they've won two playoff series since! There is no big name person who can come in and magically turn this team into London, so get over it. If you take your eyes off the loss column and look at his whole body of work, any reasonable person can see that he turned a dumpster fire into something with potential.

These players are just KIDS and they come on here and read all of these comments. How do you think they feel when they read all of the negativity? Give that a thought.

And don't challenge my manhood. I have no interest in meeting someone as short-sighted as yourself.
What ever ? manhood that's funny! I'm likewise not interested in your opinion Section 7 fan,and don't tell me to move on? And don't tell me to get over it either. The negativity is not directed at the players they are all very good players in this league.My comments are directed to the adults who make the on ice decisions. Unlike many fans who yell insults at our players I never have ever. I tell it like I see it if someone doesn't like it so be it? When a player has not played well or had a bad year I will say so, I don't sugar coat it ? And trust me I have no interest in ever meeting you, because you always insult and push your unwanted opinion on here. You stick your nose in other peoples comments because you say Mr. Oke has done a not bad job? I'm just curious lots of comments on here other than mine are real negative against players on this team don't see you spouting off? lol Franchise record for losses on road games? Last year sent a very good Mississauga team the only thing they needed a good goalie?Bye the way they beat us out? Went to division final last year to not making the playoffs in one season? Burton Lee brought the fans back with a very aggressive sales program.With our drafting small players and trading for you guessed it, more small players it just might play a role in never having a healthy roster and oh yeah loosing too many one on one battles? Magically turn this team into London? What really ,there is no magic in it, its called doing a good job as GM and it requires hard work , constantly doing things to improve your team? The whole body of work? Dumpster fire into something with potential? Last year our best period was the 3rd period , this year it was our worst period. You can not make a bad choice with your first 3 picks in any draft year and if you do make a mistake you better unload that player quickly or you will be stuck with this player for 4 years? And what about players not returning, Coyle or drafting a Euro pick not once but twice and cutting both players? Wow this whole body of work lmao. I don't need to mention the players who wont play here ?

Last edited:

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
What ever ? manhood that's funny! I'm likewise not interested in your opinion Section 7 fan,and don't tell me to move on? And don't tell me to get over it either. The negativity is not directed at the players they are all very good players in this league.My comments are directed to the adults who make the on ice decisions. Unlike many fans who yell insults at our players I never have ever. I tell it like I see it if someone doesn't like it so be it? When a player has not played well or had a bad year I will say so, I don't sugar coat it ? And trust me I have no interest in ever meeting you, because you always insult and push your unwanted opinion on here. You stick your nose in other peoples comments because you say Mr. Oke has done a not bad job? I'm just curious lots of comments on here other than mine are real negative against players on this team don't see you spouting off? lol Franchise record for losses on road games? Last year sent a very good Mississauga team the only thing they needed a good goalie?Bye the way they beat us out? Went to division final last year to not making the playoffs in one season? Burton Lee brought the fans back with a very aggressive sales program.With our drafting small players and trading for you guessed it, more small players it just might play a role in never having a healthy roster and oh yeah loosing too many one on one battles? Magically turn this team into London? What really ,there is no magic in it, its called doing a good job as GM and it requires hard work , constantly doing things to improve your team? The whole body of work? Dumpster fire into something with potential? Last year our best period was the 3rd period, this year it was our worst period. You can not make a bad choice with your first 3 picks in any draft year and if you do make a mistake you better unload that player quickly or you will be stuck with this player for 4 years? And what about players not returning, Coyle or drafting a Euro pick not once but twice and cutting both players? Wow this whole body of work lmao.

I don't understand anything you said in that rant. I don't stick my nose in other peoples business, it's a public forum. If you have a problem with people having a different opinion and telling their opinion then maybe you shouldn't come on here then. I'm sorry that you have such a problem with me seeing things different with this team. Go ahead and post whatever you wish but I'm going to do the same.

If you follow the OHL then you should know that it's not uncommon for teams to drop in the standings after the go on a long playoff run. Erie won the OHL last year and they didn't make the playoffs this year. I bet there fans aren't calling for the GMs head because of it, it s just the junior hockey cycle that catches up to every team.

Oke took over a hockey team from Dave Reid that was run right into the ground and he has made this team semi-relevant again. Mississauga didn't beat us because we traded Mancina to them, they had a solid core of young very talented players and they were able to add Spencer Watson and Villi Saarijarvi to that solid core.

When was the last time Oke screwed up the first three picks? We signed our top two picks from the 2017 draft, seven from the 2016 draft, five from the 2015 draft, six from the 2014 draft. All have been at least decent players or traded for players/picks. Unfortunately it's not as easy as just picking the best available players in this league because players and agents can dictate where they go and they have endless US options if they get picked by a OHL team they don't want to play for. Do you think its better if we waste a pick on someone who isn't coming? Do you really think a new GM is going to change that? We are a small market with poor facility and theres nothing anyone can do about it. You can bring in some big name guy and its still going to be just as big of a challenge to get players to come here.

I'm sorry but being a GM in this league is not what you think it is.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad