Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
I find your reasoning regarding the Paquette trade difficult to understand. You talk about having this player for 2.5 years as a positive, my way of thinking is if you get a player who doesn't produce the shorter time he is taking up a spot on your team the better. This guy was a disappointment in the playoffs last year and it has continued this season. In defence of our GM, apparently there was other players that he was pursuing who were ranked ahead of Paquette but they weren't interested in coming here. If that was the case no trade is better than a poor trade. Getting the right guy may have meant the Petes winning the East last year. Let's hope they cut ties at the end of this season and go with a younger player with some passion.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
I find your reasoning regarding the Paquette trade difficult to understand. You talk about having this player for 2.5 years as a positive, my way of thinking is if you get a player who doesn't produce the shorter time he is taking up a spot on your team the better. This guy was a disappointment in the playoffs last year and it has continued this season. In defence of our GM, apparently there was other players that he was pursuing who were ranked ahead of Paquette but they weren't interested in coming here. If that was the case no trade is better than a poor trade. Getting the right guy may have meant the Petes winning the East last year. Let's hope they cut ties at the end of this season and go with a younger player with some passion.
So who were these other players who would not come here?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

It has not worked out so far, but many thought that another two seasons of Gallant & Paquette down the middle would be hard for other teams to play against.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
It has not worked out so far, but many thought that another two seasons of Gallant & Paquette down the middle would be hard for other teams to play against.
Paquette has regressed. I think I'd bring back Dow ahead of him at this point. Dow actually has more even strength points, in what I can only assume is FAR less ice time, he's a bit more physical and he isn't -36. Plus this was his rookie season, you can maybe hope for a jump in year two now that he's adjusted, where Paquette has had 3 years to make that jump.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Paquette has regressed. I think I'd bring back Dow ahead of him at this point. Dow actually has more even strength points, in what I can only assume is FAR less ice time, he's a bit more physical and he isn't -36. Plus this was his rookie season, you can maybe hope for a jump in year two now that he's adjusted, where Paquette has had 3 years to make that jump.

I agree. Paquette looks awful... tough to say that about a 19 year old kid, but it's true. You're drafted by an NHL team... it should have been time for him to step up and be a leader...

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
Lmao. But keep running him out on the power play and a regular shift. Biggest farce crap show I’ve ever seen. I’ve seen teams crap the bed. But this is a total joke. Whoever is in charge of the power play should be fired ten minutes ago. Not tomorrow.
The best part is. Number 3 played so bad the last fame in Sudbury they tried to hide him but tonight they went right back to the well and kept sending him out. My mind wants to explode trying to comprehend the thought process

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

You think Oke had a crystal ball that showed him having a bad season this year? Paquette was a third year player who was NHL drafted and was showing signs of progression. They could have picked up Stephens or Cirelli for the same price and we still would have lost to the Steelheads. What young player would you plug into his spot to make this team better? Garlent took a big step back in his second season here and rebounded with a career year.

Im not saying Paquette is a great player or the trade was a good trade, but I look at it from more than one angle. You're making it out like Oke purposely went out and picked up a player who would make the team worse and I find that difficult to understand.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
I have heard from a good source that early into season North Bay offered d man Cam Dineen for our back up goalie Hunter Jones ? Oke wouldn't make deal cause he thought Wells would be gone at Christmas for World Juniors, he played himself off their radar, Dineen would have helped a too young defense core?

It's possible as North Bay was in the market for a goalie , however it wouldn't have been a straight swap, it would have been Jones and multiple high picks for Dineen.

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
It's possible as North Bay was in the market for a goalie , however it wouldn't have been a straight swap, it would have been Jones and multiple high picks for Dineen.
Let it go guys. Did you watch the game tonight? Did you wAtch the games on the weekend? This is the worst coaching and the biggest fold I’ve seen.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Definitely need to push the restart button this off season.
A coaching change will hopefully give everyone a fresh start.

If the guys they have as OAs next year only give the Petes what we've seen from them this year, the team will have another rough year.

Paquette, Timleck, Osmanski, or Dow would all need to make big steps if they are going to lead this team.

Really hoping a new coach can light a fire under some of these players.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
yes watch all games including Midget , Lakefield, little guys, lol funny how everyone on here blame this player or that player? there are many multiple problems with this team, I don't believe you change one player trades ever, does much ? we have some bright spots down the road with some good young talent, but we also have areas of weaknesses that have to be upgraded? talked with a a dad of Battalion player #25 I liked his game fast talented player good player he told me he was drafted by Guelph traded to North Bay in offseason 2 years ago last year did not have great year only 20 points, funny Butler could have traded him away but stuck with him ? This year he has 74 points. This is Junior hockey. My point is this team should have seen many issues and made adjustments they didn't kept giving players pp time when playing poorly? Should have sat some veteran players at times, didn't play young guys much at all? Some of there so called star players were awful ? Need size and skill in Draft, need to get it right?

Last edited:

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
yes watch all games including Midget , Lakefield, little guys, lol funny how everyone on here blame this player or that player? there are many multiple problems with this team, I don't believe you change one player trades ever, does much ? we have some bright spots down the road with some good young talent, but we also have areas of weaknesses that have to be upgraded? talked with a a dad of Battalion player #25 I liked his game fast talented player good player he told me he was drafted by Guelph traded to North Bay in offseason 2 years ago last year did not have great year only 20 points, funny Butler could have traded him away but stuck with him ? This year he has 74 points. This is Junior hockey.
What's your point? This whole post says nothing.

What does Lakefield have to do with the Petes?

Guelph did trade Burghardt away, North Bay traded for him and he did better there.

Petes have good talent and have weaknesses, no shit.

But you criticize other people for blaming this or that, how about offering any sort of constructive solutions for the coming year?

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
It's funny that people were crying for the coaches to play Supryka, they give him regular and power play time and people are saying the coaches are dumb for doing it. He's a 16 year old third round pick. He's getting minutes in games that have zero meaning. Does it really matter if he makes mistakes now? you do more damage benching him in my opinion.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017

Paugette didn’t shine last year but he played his role we had two top lines he did his job as a third line c/winger yes he hasn’t done a whole lot this year but neither has most of the team he is a vet who knows how to play in this league we just expected more out of him but as a third line guy he does what he needs to in my opinion

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017

Agree

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Great effort tonight
Jones playing with more confidence, which hopefully bodes well heading into next year.
Gogolev with the hatty and SDA with 5 points......so great!
Happy to see Koro and Gogolev reach 30 goals.

Nice character win and nice to break the road losing streak against Oshawa.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
May be just maybe Hull should have kept the Russian unit together they have chemistry together they have been magic in the offensive zone? I could not figure this out , when he broke them up was the start of this teams slide

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
What's your point? This whole post says nothing.

What does Lakefield have to do with the Petes?

Guelph did trade Burghardt away, North Bay traded for him and he did better there.

Petes have good talent and have weaknesses, no ****.

But you criticize other people for blaming this or that, how about offering any sort of constructive solutions for the coming year?
many problems with this team? says nothing? some one asked on here did you watch the last game? I'm not critical of anyone on here every one is entitled to their opinion! I have offered constructive solutions but some on here don't want you to say it? and attack people on here for their opinion ? I DONT LIKE THE SPOT THIS ORGANIZATION IS IN? I always get attacked on here by the same people? Section 7 fan tells me to stop following the Petes? He doesnt have the balls to tell me to my face ? If you disagree you disagree you don't have to insult people period. I don't like Mr. Oke , I think we need at change again? I have said I have followed the Draft every year in fact I watch lots of Minor Midget games to see who the Top players are? Was at OHL CUP this weekend, we have made poor choices at times with some of our picks? You can not pick a 5th overall player who does not score a goal all year? The GM is responsible for your talent or lack of talent on the ice period. Can just imagine the insults this will rain down on me????

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
many problems with this team? says nothing? some one asked on here did you watch the last game? I'm not critical of anyone on here every one is entitled to their opinion! I have offered constructive solutions but some on here don't want you to say it? and attack people on here for their opinion ? I DONT LIKE THE SPOT THIS ORGANIZATION IS IN? I always get attacked on here by the same people? Section 7 fan tells me to stop following the Petes? He doesnt have the balls to tell me to my face ? If you disagree you disagree you don't have to insult people period. I don't like Mr. Oke , I think we need at change again? I have said I have followed the Draft every year in fact I watch lots of Minor Midget games to see who the Top players are? Was at OHL CUP this weekend, we have made poor choices at times with some of our picks? You can not pick a 5th overall player who does not score a goal all year? The GM is responsible for your talent or lack of talent on the ice period. Can just imagine the insults this will rain down on me????
Burtsy its all good you are absolutely entitled to your opinion on an opinion based forum but you are also subjected to critisism of your opinion on a forum as well...i like to hear to pulse of the fans on here so if you "DONT LIKE THE SPOT THIS ORGANIZATION IS IN" what does that mean? you dont like the young talent selected recently? our goalies in waiting? the defence? break it down for me/us...personally i like our young players now that they are getting time to play and i believe Jones is going to be ok going forward just needs confidence and next year he'll carry the load in a year where the young players will get lots of ice and learn game in game out. I feel they need to hit a euro dman in the euro draft take a chance on a top guy maybe, they will be picking early so with some digging get a top dman to report. I think the 5th pick you are referring to is gallant an nhl drafted player? i agree however a more offensive guy could have been selected in that spot but he is a decent player its tough for peterborough i think because they have to be perfect on their picks as they dont attract those 5th 6th round top US guys or usually any top Euro picks or free agents so they have to soley rely on the OHL draft and thus I think they do a VERY good job in draft. look at the last few drafts and the subsequent gold cup picks from their draft and the NHL draft list each year usually up near top for number of guys on list maybe not 1st 2nd rounders but none the less on the list...lets see what real coach can do i say...keep posting your opinions burtsy we all make this forum what it is

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
May be just maybe Hull should have kept the Russian unit together they have chemistry together they have been magic in the offensive zone? I could not figure this out , when he broke them up was the start of this teams slide

IMO when the Russian unit was together early in the year they really struggled in the defensive zone. At this point though both SDA and Gogo have shown improvements on defense.......they are stronger and faster, winning more one on one battles and playing with more urgency in their own zone. All three still need to avoid “dangles” in their own end which often end up as turnovers and hang the defence and goalie out to dry.....(exhibit A - Jack Studnicka SH goal last night)

You are correct that their chemistry is something special. I’ll be interested to see who ends up playing with SDA and Gogo next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad