Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Tonight is the first game I'm making it down to. A question about Robertson - he has 4 points in 4 games and the players getting goals/assists on the same play include Ang, Gogolev, Rollo, Timleck, Denoble... I see that he has nominally been on the 4th line so far, is it just a case of the coaches being quick to jump him up on to other lines to provide a spark, or how has he been used?

Also, did anyone else have issues with their account with this board change? I can't login with my NV account :(

Well NV......what did you think of the 3-1 win over Flint?

It will be tough to hold opposing teams to 30 shots or less with the present group of D the Petes have. They are averaging about 38 shots against per game in the 5 games so far.....and about 40 shots against per game since Timms has been out. How many shots would it have been if Denoble, Timleck, Dow, etc. hadn't blocked all of the shots they did?!
Having said all of that, I am impressed with the play of the D for the most part, especially Fraser and Babintsev. McNamara and Beraldo seem to be gaining some confidence and showing improvement as well. Thank goodness for Wells! I thought the Petes used their speed well tonight after their slow start. Good speed on the attack, the fore-check and the back-check. I'm expecting Jones to start in Ottawa and Wells back in for NB on Monday.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I was really impressed with the whole thing last night.

-the speed and how we could keep up the pace
-the total team effort, blocking shots etc
- I realize this is probably not politically correct but was so proud of Gallant for jumping to Black's defence after the nasty hit
-I was so impressed with Wells
-Chisholm looks great

One thing I was wondering was about Rollo. It seems like he was traded quickly and for nothing . I wonder if if would have been better for us to trade Korostelev and keep Rollo-perhaps we could have received more for trading Koro.

Then I was also wondering if Koro was kept over Rollo becuase he could be a mentor to our Russians.

Originally , I thought Koro was a better player than Rollo but las t night he didn't seem to dominate the way I thought he would.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I was really impressed with the whole thing last night.

-the speed and how we could keep up the pace
-the total team effort, blocking shots etc
- I realize this is probably not politically correct but was so proud of Gallant for jumping to Black's defence after the nasty hit
-I was so impressed with Wells
-Chisholm looks great

One thing I was wondering was about Rollo. It seems like he was traded quickly and for nothing . I wonder if if would have been better for us to trade Korostelev and keep Rollo-perhaps we could have received more for trading Koro.

Then I was also wondering if Koro was kept over Rollo becuase he could be a mentor to our Russians.

Originally , I thought Koro was a better player than Rollo but las t night he didn't seem to dominate the way I thought he would.

I could not disagree more regarding your comments about Koro. He set up the first goal, robbed on a wrap around, hit the post, set up Gally for a breakaway with a stretch pass... wasn't much he didn't do. He could have had a four point night.

Reactions: Petes1

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Vs ott

Wth happened ? I logged off ohl live for work they were up 2-0 headed to 3 Rd!!!! 2 shots to 11 or something!!!! That's on being prepared and having that killer instinct I said it last year and more again if I were wells I'd be peeling paint in the room that's terrible. Have the team prepared sit guys that wanna take stupid pims multiple times send a damn message. Now back to work I go

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Vs ott

Wth happened ? I logged off ohl live for work they were up 2-0 headed to 3 Rd!!!! 2 shots to 11 or something!!!! That's on being prepared and having that killer instinct I said it last year and more again if I were wells I'd be peeling paint in the room that's terrible. Have the team prepared sit guys that wanna take stupid pims multiple times send a damn message. Now back to work I go

Ang may be the first guy to lead the OHL in Pims and Points!
How does he expect to play pro if he can't take the physical play without retaliating? He is one of the top PKers on the Petes as well, so it really hurts when he is the one taking the penalties. I wish Jody would have sat him after he took the unsportsmanlike penalty. I know you want him on the ice to help tie up the game, but in order to set the tone for the 63 games left, I think it would have been valuable to send the message to everyone that no one player is bigger than the team (it would be Wells hands down if there was a player that was bigger than the team anyways!). If this group can avoid selfish and lazy plays and ensure that they put the team first with everything they do, they will be tough to beat. The next time someone on the team wins an individual award (Ang - OHL player of the week) they should decline it because it tends to go to their head, they start believing the press clippings and their game slips.

Will we see Hunter Jones in North Bay?

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Ang may be the first guy to lead the OHL in Pims and Points!
How does he expect to play pro if he can't take the physical play without retaliating? He is one of the top PKers on the Petes as well, so it really hurts when he is the one taking the penalties. I wish Jody would have sat him after he took the unsportsmanlike penalty. I know you want him on the ice to help tie up the game, but in order to set the tone for the 63 games left, I think it would have been valuable to send the message to everyone that no one player is bigger than the team (it would be Wells hands down if there was a player that was bigger than the team anyways!). If this group can avoid selfish and lazy plays and ensure that they put the team first with everything they do, they will be tough to beat. The next time someone on the team wins an individual award (Ang - OHL player of the week) they should decline it because it tends to go to their head, they start believing the press clippings and their game slips.

Will we see Hunter Jones in North Bay?

yeah i dont think ive ever seen Hull bench a guy...ever.....period....it needs to happen send a damn message to all....all the young guys see him getting pims and right back out there so why shouldnt they have same treatment??? he spoke about accountability way back when he took over if i recall but ive never seen it happen ...ever.....yeah id say jones vs north bay for sure

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Fraser was hurt early in the 3rd period and didn't return leaving the Petes with four 17 year old defensemen and Black. The Ottawa announcers speculated on what happened to the Petes in the 3rd but mistakenly didn't reference Fraser being hurt and what it meant for the Petes. Should have played Jones last night imo.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Petes acquire Osmanski from Steelheads for a 4th in 2018 and 2020.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Petes acquire Osmanski from Steelheads for a 4th in 2018 and 2020.

Hey thats a perfect pickup i'd say for the Peters older stay at home guy that the young guys can learn from. Oke got him for 2 4ths thats pretty good compared to the london trade of mattinen for 2 2nds!!!!!!!!! arent they pretty much same type player? can someone look at the stats of these 2 to compare?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Hey thats a perfect pickup i'd say for the Peters older stay at home guy that the young guys can learn from. Oke got him for 2 4ths thats pretty good compared to the london trade of mattinen for 2 2nds!!!!!!!!! arent they pretty much same type player? can someone look at the stats of these 2 to compare?

I think they both offer similar skill sets in the defensive zone... Mattinen provides more offensively.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I think they both offer similar skill sets in the defensive zone... Mattinen provides more offensively.

I took a look.. mattinen 23pts career ohl and osmanski 18pts career almost same pims wow so oke did well with 2 4ths id say!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Oke does ok in trades. A season + 1/2 & playoffs of Korostelev and Black for Grima and 3(2nds) & 2(3rds) seems a bargain. Garlent & Paquette seemed costly at the time, but pretty good value.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I think Mattinen has better mobility but Osmanski is what the Petes need at this point and is a decent price. The Petes will be able to recoup many of these picks before next season now that they have seven 98’s who are potential OAs next year....
Dow, Paquette, Ang, Timleck, Timms, Osmanski and Wells

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
It's pretty tough to put together a lineup once everybody gets healthy... good problem to have, I guess... but there's certainly more player movement to come.

The low price on Osmanski leaves Oke enough currency left over to make a big move come deadline time.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
It's pretty tough to put together a lineup once everybody gets healthy... good problem to have, I guess... but there's certainly more player movement to come.

The low price on Osmanski leaves Oke enough currency left over to make a big move come deadline time.

Yes definitely still some moves to be made. The silver lining in the injuries (Timms, Paquette, Fraser) is that Beraldo and McNamara are getting some minutes and seem to be improving and gaining confidence on the back end. Unfortunately for Denault and Parker-Jones, they have had to alternate as healthy scratches and it will get worse for them once Paquette returns. They will have difficulty developing in this scenario.
Here is my guess for the line-up if everyone is healthy:

DeNoble(L) (97) (OA) Ang(R) (98) Timleck(R) (98)
Gogolev(L) (00) Gallant(L) (99) Paquette(R) (98)
Dow (R) (98) SDA(R) (00) Korostelev(R) (97) (OA)
Isaacson(L)(99) Robertson (L) (01) Svoboda(L) (99)

[Denault (R)(00) Parker-Jones (R) (00)]

Timms (L) (98) Fraser (R) (99)
Black (L) (97) (OA) Babintsev (R) (00)
Chisholm (L) (00) Osmanski (L) (98)

[Beraldo (L) (00) McNamara (R) (00)]

The great thing about this lineup is the balance.........3 solid offensive lines that show more chemistry with each game and a 4th line that will be difficult to face if Isaacson and Svoboda continue to hit everything that moves and Robertson's speed and moves allow him to take advantage of the space created by the other two.

The defensive pairings are well balanced in this scenario, they just have to keep things simple and get good support from the forwards in the defensive zone. I'm hoping coach Hull shows the boys video of the Leafs' fore-check against the Blackhawks.......that's what the Petes should be aiming for......tilt the ice, create turnovers, draw penalties.....and stay disciplined, don't make it easy on the other team by handing them power plays!

Kingston (off to a great start) visits Thursday to start the home and home series. Family reunion for the Robertsons.....that would be tough to be the parents at these games.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Yes definitely still some moves to be made. The silver lining in the injuries (Timms, Paquette, Fraser) is that Beraldo and McNamara are getting some minutes and seem to be improving and gaining confidence on the back end. Unfortunately for Denault and Parker-Jones, they have had to alternate as healthy scratches and it will get worse for them once Paquette returns. They will have difficulty developing in this scenario.
Here is my guess for the line-up if everyone is healthy:

[Denault (R)(00) Parker-Jones (R) (00)]

The great thing about this lineup is the balance.........3 solid offensive lines that show more chemistry with each game and a 4th line that will be difficult to face if Isaacson and Svoboda continue to hit everything that moves and Robertson's speed and moves allow him to take advantage of the space created by the other two.

The defensive pairings are well balanced in this scenario, they just have to keep things simple and get good support from the forwards in the defensive zone. I'm hoping coach Hull shows the boys video of the Leafs' fore-check against the Blackhawks.......that's what the Petes should be aiming for......tilt the ice, create turnovers, draw penalties.....and stay disciplined, don't make it easy on the other team by handing them power plays!

Kingston (off to a great start) visits Thursday to start the home and home series. Family reunion for the Robertsons.....that would be tough to be the parents at these games.

That's what I came up with as well... my next thought was... Who comes out of that lineup when we trade for Sambrook?!

I think they should cut Svoboda and allow the rotation to continue with Parker Jones and Denault ... because lets be honest Babintsev looks legit and should be here for three seasons... they will be drafting to replace Svoboda next season anyways... mise well develop the players you know are going to be here.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Curious to see how the Petes stack up against Kingston. The Fronts were an honourable mention for the CHL top ten and lead the division early on. A couple wins by the Petes in this home and home would put the Eastern Conference on notice.

Any word on the status of Timms and Fraser? Could really use them to stop Robertson and company...

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Curious to see how the Petes stack up against Kingston. The Fronts were an honourable mention for the CHL top ten and lead the division early on. A couple wins by the Petes in this home and home would put the Eastern Conference on notice.

Any word on the status of Timms and Fraser? Could really use them to stop Robertson and company...

Kingston has only beat bad teams so far with the exception of maybe Flint. The only real team they've played (Sarnia) they lost to. Petes are already looked at as the best team in the east, they don't need to beat an average team to "put the east on notice"

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Kingston has only beat bad teams so far with the exception of maybe Flint. The only real team they've played (Sarnia) they lost to. Petes are already looked at as the best team in the east, they don't need to beat an average team to "put the east on notice"
OK :)

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Kingstons PP has only scored 4 goals running at 16% for a team thats in 1st while Petes have scored 9 goals running almost 24% with each PK about the same so special teams is a big factor in this series with K town. May be a point used by generals updater they're record may be overinflated vs who they've played but they're winning 5on5. Helvigs numbers are very similar to Wells' so it may come down to who scores on the PP. Should be 2 dandys

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
47 shots for Petes in a 2-1 win vs ktown confirms what i thought they've been leaning on helvig! Petes move to tie for 1st in east and thats with that 4 2000's on d will be much stronger with timms and fraser on backend and paquette up front with maybe a christmas present addition to put over the top???

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
The Petes played a great game and controlled the play most of the game. Lots of speed shown by the top lines and some good back checking all night long. Nice to see Robertson get his his first OHL goal and it was the winner.

I agree that with Timms and Fraser back that will tighten up the defense.

The penalty against Kingston midway through the third looked borderline... not sure if the Kingston player did much to SDA. It resulted in a PP goal by Robertson I think.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Interesting to see that Igor Martynov has 4 goals already for Victoria in the WHL. In hindsight, Petes might have been better off keeping him over Tammela (or Svoboda).

Will be interesting to see how the lines evolve moving forward. It worked out fairly well last night but I really liked Gallant and Gogolev together and think it makes sense to have Paquette or Dow with Korostelev and SDA for defensive purposes. I get why they're trying the three russians together though. You'd like to see Dow and Robertson get more ice time as well but there's only so much to go around on a team so deep.

Side note - Beraldo has a hell of a shot. If he can improve the accuracy on it, he's going to score some goals. I was impressed by Osmanski's game as well, It seemed Missy was using him as more of a strict stay at home guy but he took advantage of a few opportunities to jump up in the play last night. When everyone is back and he's a 3/4 guy it will be even better.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Interesting to see that Igor Martynov has 4 goals already for Victoria in the WHL. In hindsight, Petes might have been better off keeping him over Tammela (or Svoboda).

Will be interesting to see how the lines evolve moving forward. It worked out fairly well last night but I really liked Gallant and Gogolev together and think it makes sense to have Paquette or Dow with Korostelev and SDA for defensive purposes. I get why they're trying the three russians together though. You'd like to see Dow and Robertson get more ice time as well but there's only so much to go around on a team so deep.

Side note - Beraldo has a hell of a shot. If he can improve the accuracy on it, he's going to score some goals. I was impressed by Osmanski's game as well, It seemed Missy was using him as more of a strict stay at home guy but he took advantage of a few opportunities to jump up in the play last night. When everyone is back and he's a 3/4 guy it will be even better.
I totally understand trying out the Russian line.
The concern for me is that line’s defensive zone performance......all 3 like to stick-handle around players ANYWHERE on the ice, which can create turnovers in your own zone. In my suggested lines below, I have Dow with SDA and Koro and Gogo back with Gallant. The only real issue this causes is Isaacson (who is much improved and a beast along the wall) goes to the 4th line and then Robertson doesn’t have a real sniper on his wing to set up. I’m thinking that’s why Dow was with Robertson.

The young D have performed quite well so far. I feel bad for Beraldo and McNamara when Timms and Fraser return, but in the meantime they are taking advantage of their opportunities.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
47 shots for Petes in a 2-1 win vs ktown confirms what i thought they've been leaning on helvig! Petes move to tie for 1st in east and thats with that 4 2000's on d will be much stronger with timms and fraser on backend and paquette up front with maybe a christmas present addition to put over the top???

Peccia played nets last night not Helvig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad