Peter Sejna's Potential

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Bruins4Ever, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruins4Ever

Bruins4Ever Registered User

Student at UW
    Where do you see this kid playing on the St. Louis Blues in the future. People say he'll be no better than a 3rd liner, but he great potential, and I could see second line potential, or possibly first line duty. What do you all think?

2. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Registered User

Home Page:
    3rd line. max. 2nd ...

3. Habsfan 32

Habsfan 32 Registered User

What he said.

4. Form and Substance

Form and Substance Registered User

Why does he have an 8.0 rating if his max potential is the second line.

5. Bruins4Ever

Student at UW
    That's what I was wondering. Tsn.ca has him as a 3rd liner in potential. I'm so confused. :dunno:

6. Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge 13

Writer overrating him, simple as that.

That's the flaw with the Hockey's Future system, each team's writer has a different definition of potential.

Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers has the same rating as Marc-Andre Fleury for crying out loud.

7. outKast*

outKast* Guest

JDD is a solid prospect that no one knows about. i'm glad the hf staff have taken notice of him and not the posters. very underrated in my honest opinion

8. Form and Substance

Form and Substance Registered User

'tis true but I wouldn't give him an 8.5.

9. topshelf331

topshelf331 Registered User

Home Page:
    Id say from watching him limited in stlouis he is scoring line or bust. HE has an amazing wrist shot. He is very skilled. The biggest thing holding him back is his size. As far as a third line role. He is good defensively, but could never play a checking role.

Im really no th e one to ask though. 210 over at the blues board would be the one to ask, he has seen him the most.

10. Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge 13

Is he a good prospect? Yes
    Is he as good of a prospect as Marc-Andre Fleury? Good ****ing lord no.

11. Jason MacIsaac

Jason MacIsaac Registered User

NWO RCN
    He outplayed Fleury last year in the QMJHL playoffs by a large margin with the far worse team. I am not saying he is a better prospect but I don't think you realize how good he can be.

12. Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge 13

Name one Screaming Eagle who even tried in the playoffs last year. You really can't.

The entire team laid down in the playoffs.

Everyone knows you have a personal agenda against Fleury anyways.

13. hockeyfan125

hockeyfan125 Registered User

As well as Gilbert Brule.

14. Jason MacIsaac

Jason MacIsaac Registered User

NWO RCN
    Plenty of players tried, about 4 or 5 didn't give their best efford. That doesn't change the fact that Fleury was downright horrible and Deslauriers outplayed him with the weaker team.

Yes, I have a personal agenda verses him. I was the one who started the hype of Fleury a year and a half before his draft. Thats also why I said on another forum yesterday that he is the only goaltender who has more potential then Lehtonen. There is no point talking to you about this anyway. You see things through Yellow and Black glasses.

15. Saprykin Fan

Saprykin Fan Registered User

Home Page:
    hey

i know sejna personally, and trust me he is goin to be good, he hasn't been givin teh chance. go sejna go buddy. plus the NHL is done from a reliable source i have im ashamed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. kimzey59

kimzey59 Registered User

TSN's version of a "third liner" is anybody who has skill but doesn't use it consistently(example: Sami Kapanen(former 30 goal scorer), Martin Ruchinsky(former 30 goal scorer), Shawn McEachern). Going by their "potential" is not a good way to judge a player(on a side note, their player assesments are a pretty good read).

Sejna's "Max" potential is as a 25-30 goal/60-70 point winger(first line on most teams). He has great speed and a wicked shot, reads the play well, creates plays and is good defensively. He is a typical 8C prospect: First or second liner(or bust).

17. Bruins4Ever

Student at UW
    Ok, perfect, that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

18. Mess

Mess Global Moderator

Home Page:
    60 to 70 points ???

He will not and can not even get that in the AHL ..

How does that make sense ??

19. kimzey59

kimzey59 Registered User

And you base this statement on what? Have you ever watched him play(other than his short stint in St. Louis last year(and if THAT's what you're a fool. The Blues rushed him into the NHL straight out of college, he needed a half sason in the Ahl to get adjusted to the new speed of Professional hockey. He's adjusted and is putting up good point totals in Worcester)?

He's missed over 20 games this year due to a back injury(from a cross check), how do you know what he'd be capable of over a full AHL season(note: he started the year with 12 points in 10 games)?

Moreover, I said that was his "Max" potential. I never once said he would reach that potential. Sejna has a ton of skill, that much is undeniable. So do a lot of other players that never made it at the NHL level. As I said before, Sejna is a scoring line(First or Second line) or bust player. If his skills materialize at the NHL level he will put up very good point totals, if they don't he'll never stick(ala Petr Schastlivy). You can call him a bust all you want, that doesn't mean that he doesn't have the potential to be a big contributor.

20. Mess

Mess Global Moderator

Home Page:
    Here look at last year NHL Stats and count the TOTAL players in the whole NHL that got that total ..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/Statistics.asp?season=2004

Never mind Potential .. Joe Thornton and Jerome Iginla were 73 point NHL players based on facts last season.. Vincent Lecavalier had 66 .. and my Fav example is Vancouver's Brendan Morrison centering Naslund and Bertuzzi could mange just 60 points.

If you want to believe that he will be an Elite NHL player go right ahead .. He will be turning 26 this year and you feel he was rushed before .. .I say he better get moving if he is to prove you right .. Time is already against him ..

21. PigPen

PigPen Registered User

Home Page:
    Um...

I'd like to point out a few things about Mr. Sejna...

First, his potential is probably at MOST a 40-50 point guy who just may hit 20 goals a few times in his career.
    Second, his skating ability is only slightly above average. Great speed is guys like Niedermeyer, Fedorov, Modano, Draper, etc...
    Third, you are highly overrating his shot. I've seen him at practices and in games (Traverse City Prospect Tournament and NHL) and it's ok, but as I said before; you are highly overrating it. Like his skating, it's barely above average.
    Then there's the issue of his age. Yeah, 26 is young still, but not prospect young. He's just about reached his potential at this age and likely won't get much better.
    And Last of all, his defensive ability is average. He's no liability but to say he's good is farfetched. Paul Coffey was a plus player most of his career but his defense was so-so.

22. topshelf331

topshelf331 Registered User

Home Page:

On the speed issue, he is fast , but doesnt accelerate immediately.

As far as his shot. Id have to say it is very special. I havent seen too many players who can make the shots from the angles he takes them at. And his wrister is amazing. He looks like twice the player that nagy was when he was in the organization. So i would say his potential is pretty high. 21 nhl games isnt enough to say he is a bust. Especially when those games were straight out on the ncaa. It took him 20 games at worcestor after that to get goin. But since then he has pretty much been a point a game player.

Edit: But then again ive only seen him in about 10 nhl games, 1 worcestor game, blues camp, and worcestor camp. So really only about 20 times in a game situation. 210 is the resident worcestor expert, hopefully he drops by with his imput.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.