Peter Mueller

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Out of all the comparisons I've seen of Mueller, I wouldn't say a poor mans Sundin is out of the question at all comparison wise. Although I think Sundin is more of a shooter while Mueller is the latter. Don't see the Drury and Naslund comparison, seeing as they are both different in playing style not even bringing Mueller into the equation.

I meant point-wise.

Rich09

Oct 22, 2004
So... you take him before Turris and Vanremsdyk or?

For me..

1- Kane
2- Turris
3- VanRemsdyk
4- Mueller

Karamazov

Mar 6, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
Here's my comparison from what I've seen - Keith Primeau with better vision and passing. They play the same puck possession game and slowed things down to their own speed. Also I'd prefer not to get flamed...

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Here's my comparison from what I've seen - Keith Primeau with better vision and passing. They play the same puck possession game and slowed things down to their own speed. Also I'd prefer not to get flamed...

I like that comparison, and that comparison makes the most sense to me.

But I dont think Mueller has the toughness of Primeau.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I won't compare Mueller to anyone from this year's draft (but suffice it to say, I'm thrilled to have him and Turris). The sky is the limit for Mueller, though. His offensive skills have been discussed plenty, but it's his defensive play that makes him such an attractive prospect. I definitely don't want anyone to think I'm saying he'll be as good as Peter Forsberg, but he plays the same type of game and has many of Forsberg's skills (all scaled back, obviously).

Those of you who were quick to shove this post back in PhoPhan's face, take a closer look.

This is the most fair comparison I've seen on this board. Read it closer, nobody was comparing him to Peter Forsberg's level, simply comparing his playing style. He protects the puck, distributes the puck, and is the same style of passer/playmaker as Forsberg. Imagine if Peter Forsberg was a 20 goal, 50 assist guy who didn't lay people out with high elbows. That's Peter Mueller, spot on IMO.

I saw him enough this season to know that his point totals were not reflected by his skill level, but more so by his willingness to be the high forward in the zone, the guy who is responsible defensively, making more of an effort at shutting down the opposing team's forwards. He grew leaps and bounds this season, and I would feel safe in saying I haven't seen another player look like an NHLer the way Peter Mueller does every time he's on the ice in my entire time in the WHL...maybe with the exception of Carey Price and Ryan Getzlaf. Some guys you see on the ice just have that poise, you look at them and know that some day they will be NHLers in some way shape or form.

1. Kane
2. Mueller
3. Turris/JVR
4. Turris/JVR

LWD

Apr 2, 2006
Mueller is good but i watched Setoguchi out play him in every way in the playoffs. Everrt vs PG.

punkorama

Aug 3, 2003
The Moon&Antarctica
Meuller a poor man's Sundin, yeah I can make that comparison. The question for the future will be how much emphasis will be placed on the "poor".

Meuller has shown the abillity to play a physical style. He doesn't do it all the time.
During the playoffs he got downright nasty on some nights. He plays a great two way game, i'm not sure how he is rated for his defense on the boards, but he does play D above average. He was the only Tips center able to win a faceoff during the playoffs(for what it's worth). He has a great slapper from the point on the PP, and a pretty hard wrister which he can get off in very little space and time.

The Naslund and Drury comparisons don't follow too well.

punkorama

Aug 3, 2003
The Moon&Antarctica
Mueller is good but i watched Setoguchi out play him in every way in the playoffs. Everrt vs PG.

The way it went in Everett during that series Setoguchi outplayed Meuller in one way. Cherrypickin down at at the blue line while the rest of his linemates were back playing Defense.

Setoguchi is a great offensive talent but Meuller is a more complete player. Their offensive skill set is also different, so it's tough to say one outplayed the other offensively. Meuller definitely outplayed Setoguchi when it came to defense and physicality.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Meuller a poor man's Sundin, yeah I can make that comparison. The question for the future will be how much emphasis will be placed on the "poor".

Meuller has shown the abillity to play a physical style. He doesn't do it all the time.
During the playoffs he got downright nasty on some nights. He plays a great two way game, i'm not sure how he is rated for his defense on the boards, but he does play D above average. He was the only Tips center able to win a faceoff during the playoffs(for what it's worth). He has a great slapper from the point on the PP, and a pretty hard wrister which he can get off in very little space and time.

The Naslund and Drury comparisons don't follow too well.

I hear you there punkorama. He can play defense.

I feel as though he's a poor man's Joe Thornton. Mostly because his gangly structure and his dish-first mentality. And his unreal vision. Enormous HFBoards cliche comparison, but one I feel quite strongly about.

The question with Mueller is speed. If he shores that up he'll be a star. If not, he'll still be a very good, intangibles-type 2nd liner who can help a team win (although most likely not the Coyotes....)

punkorama

Aug 3, 2003
The Moon&Antarctica
I hear you there punkorama. He can play defense.

I feel as though he's a poor man's Joe Thornton. Mostly because his gangly structure and his dish-first mentality. And his unreal vision. Enormous HFBoards cliche comparison, but one I feel quite strongly about.

The question with Mueller is speed. If he shores that up he'll be a star. If not, he'll still be a very good, intangibles-type 2nd liner who can help a team win (although most likely not the Coyotes....)

I thought about saying Thornton but i thought i'd get blasted!

He is the same as Big Joe in the way he's able to use his size and play nasty when he wants to.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
The way it went in Everett during that series Setoguchi outplayed Meuller in one way. Cherrypickin down at at the blue line while the rest of his linemates were back playing Defense.

Setoguchi is a great offensive talent but Meuller is a more complete player. Their offensive skill set is also different, so it's tough to say one outplayed the other offensively. Meuller definitely outplayed Setoguchi when it came to defense and physicality.

I think this is quite a bit off. Setoguchi doesnt get outplayed physically by almost anyone when it matters most - and that series mattered very much so.

He maybe outplayed Seto defensively but thats about it.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I think this is quite a bit off. Setoguchi doesnt get outplayed physically by almost anyone when it matters most - and that series mattered very much so.

He maybe outplayed Seto defensively but thats about it.

Actually, I thought his original post was right on. Nobody on the PG team played physically hardly at all this season, which is why they were so dissapointing until the playoffs. Setoguchi spent alot of time at the far blueline awaiting the long stretch pass, even in the playoffs. He gets off not playing physically because he scores goals, whereas playing for Kevin Constantine, if you don't play in your own end, you don't play.

I thought Peter Mueller virtually carried his team past the Chiefs in the first round, the goal he scored in game 6 was and epic 1 man effort, after he scored that goal I said to the people around me "there goes the series" because he came out firing on all cylinders. The only reason Prince George eliminated them is because they somehow found that afformentioned checking game and put alot of pressure on the Silvertip defense.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
comparisons should take into account the wink he threw at the canadian bench as he skated by after scoring on his second shot in that shootout. so rad.

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
i saw Mueller at Rookie camp yesterday and he looks like he will be a great player in the NHL. id like to see him get a bit physical with his size

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
i think Mueller is the kind of center that Down needs- one that isnt afraid to not only get into the corners and help but one that will be a little more physical and a little more similar to the kind of play that Doan plays- i could see Doan having a career year with Mueller as his center

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
Thomas will do just fine. Mueller will also be QBing the powerplay.

I see him mostly riding a line with Doan, just for the vet leadership and protection. I am curious to see what him and Thomas could do together as well.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
IF Mueller makes the Yotes this year out of camp, what kind of point projections would you predict?

20g
35a
55p

He will make the team. I would be more surprised if he didn't make the team; he should be on one of the PP units, I think some people will be surprised by him, if his game translates right away, he could possibly be a Calder candidate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad