Peter Mueller or Jiri Hudler

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Brad Richards pt 2?

He's not really much like Richards.

More of a 'B' version of Joe Thornton - nice size, extremely strong on the puck, can slow the game down to his speed and find seams and tear defenses apart with passes most players couldn't even see to make. Can hold onto the puck forever before finding someone in a scoring position, and is dominant on the PP.

I'm probably in the minority but I'd take him over Toews - find him to be a lot more dynamic offensively and a surer bet to be a scoring-line NHL center. Something about Toews has just never said 'elite player' to me, as much as I like his overall game.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'd hope your comments wouldn't start a flame war, Ola, but who knows around HF. ;)

I'd disagree. I think the kids got tremendous skill, and is going to succeed at the NHL level far more than Hudler (which isn't to say that Hudler won't eventually get more consistent minutes).

You never know... ;)

Seriously though, its interesting to hear what everyone got to say, everyone seems to praise him. I think I saw him in 2 or 3 games in the WJCH.

I thought he had a great great impact in the WJCH, no doubt. But, I also, basically every shift I saw him play, thought that he always stepped away from the real action, and I just don't belive that will cut it in the NHL.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Granted, I'm a Coyotes fan and have rose coloured glasses but the comments that Mueller steps away from the real action seem misplaced.

The games I have watched Mueller it seems like he anticipates very well where the play is going...and heads that way ahead of the play.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ask this question when Mueller get's to the big league because for now it's impossibe to answer this.

Hudler dominated every other league he played in outside the NHL, right now he's ok but he's also not getting enough chances, I don't think he'll be a star but I can imagine a career similar to a guy like Ray Whitney or even Martin Straka.

As of now Mueller has a higher value in a trade, but that does't mean he's the better player since we don't really know.

Hudler doesn't have half the drive or tenacity to be a player like Straka. Not in a million years.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Hudler doesn't have half the drive or tenacity to be a player like Straka. Not in a million years.

im guessing you havent seen him play this.

but dont worry, most wings fan miss it too. If you blink you miss his shifts. He drives the corners, doesnt shy away from the front of the net or physical play given his size. And has 9 goals.

If Babcock didnt think he sucked from the start and limit his ice time, hed be a 2nd liner right now replacing Jason Williams. Who babcock doesnt like either, but seems to reward his crappy play and horrible defensive lapses with Power play time :P

arin1

Apr 30, 2006
Yeah, I dont really understand Babcock. He's benched Wiliams a few times, taken him off the PP point, but still keeps him on the second line with Filppula and Hudler probably making 10x as many scoring chances as Williams on the 4th.

Karamazov

Mar 6, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
I totally disagree with your entire first two paragraphs. Hudler was a dominant player last year in Grand Rapids with 96 points. He was the reason MacLean even came close to 60 goals (56 goals I believe). Also look at his previous two years one in which he was brand new to the continent, language and aggresive brand of hockey played here and he still gets 49 points in 57 games in the AHL at 20 years old. His next season he is dealing with injury issues as well as his fathers failling health back in the republic and still manages to put up 34 points in 52 AHL games as well as 7 points in 7 Czech league games while tending to his father. Don MacLean had never had more than 33 goals before and will not ever come close to duplicate the goal output he had with Hudler feeding him in the future.

Hudler has nine goals this year in the NHL (his rookie year) in 49 games while playing only 8:28 average ice time per game. If Hudler was 3 inches talle, 15 pounds heavier this debate would be much closer don't you think?

I have not been overly high on Mueller, but, I would give him the nod over Huds on possible future potential. Mostly because he will be given much more of an opportunity.

Well said - I don't know it can be said Hudler wasn't dominant his last year in the AHL, and I don't think he was too old for it to mean something. I can't say one way or the other for this debate because I've only seen Mueller in the WJC and wasn't blown away. Mueller seems to have the edge on upside though obviously...

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Taking Mueller easily. From what I've read the biggest knock on him was his skating, which didn't look that bad to me at the WJC's.

However, I am going to chime in on Hudler's last year in the AHL. He had 96 points, and another 26 or so in 20 games in the playoffs. That's pretty good. Sure, Don Maclean had 56 goals but
1. His next best season was 33.
2. He had 56 because Hudler probably set him up for most of those.

Hudler could become an ok 2nd line center. His speed while only slightly above average isn't the biggest problem. He gets a bit lazy a la Lang and his strength is a concern. If he kept his feet moving he'd be alright. But he does go to the net which I'm pleasantly surprised about.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Enh, I doubt it. As far as drafted prospects, I'd put Backstrom and Toews ahead of him, and Okposo at about the same level.

No way Okposo is at the same level as Mueller. After watching all the WJC USA games in Sweden, there is no doubt that Mueller is a go-to forward type whereas Okposo is more of a cog. No comparison IMO.

And Toews does not have Mueller's offensive touch, although he is all over the ice when he plays.

The_scout

Sep 17, 2006
Ive seen Mueller play twice and both games he put up multiple points and simply controlled the game.

Protected the puck very well and used his size to his advantage. Quick Crisp passes and always had his head up looking to make a play.

Just dont see hudler being able to dominate down the road quite the way Mueller should be able to.

A Good Flying Bird*

Hudler hasn't "dominated" in any North American league. He had three seasons in the AHL, two of which were below a ppg. In this third season, he led his team in points. But, he only had 36 goals and he was on a team with a 50+ goal scorer.

Hudler, IMO, lacks the size, grit, and drive to ever make an impact in the NHL. To me, he looks like the kind of guy who can put up big numbers in the AHL (after a few seasons -when he is older and more experienced than other players in the league) but never do anything in the majors.

Mueller, if the stars align, could be a star.

This is an easy choice. Mueller by a landslide.

I don't disagree with your overall assessment. But Hudler has plenty of grit and drive and incredible vision for offense.
His problem is size and speed.

IMO, he should be a second line offensive winger who excells on the powerplay.
Think Slava Kozlov ... Hudler may have a fine career.

Mueller? I've been a fan since his USNTDP days. He could be a very good player when all is said and done.

A Good Flying Bird*

but dont worry, most wings fan miss it too. If you blink you miss his shifts. He drives the corners, doesnt shy away from the front of the net or physical play given his size. And has 9 goals.

If Babcock didnt think he sucked from the start and limit his ice time, hed be a 2nd liner right now replacing Jason Williams. Who babcock doesnt like either, but seems to reward his crappy play and horrible defensive lapses with Power play time :P

Agreed. Hudler could be on second line right now with at least as much production as Williams/Samuelsson.
Also, the kid seems to get a lot of chance right in front of the net. He just knows where goals are scored and he gets there

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
No way Okposo is at the same level as Mueller. After watching all the WJC USA games in Sweden, there is no doubt that Mueller is a go-to forward type whereas Okposo is more of a cog. No comparison IMO.

And Toews does not have Mueller's offensive touch, although he is all over the ice when he plays.

I'll disagree. I do think Mueller seriously outplayed Okposo in the WJC - of that there should be no doubt. In fact, if Mueller played for Canada, I think his excellent performance would have gotten a lot more attention.

BUT, the WJC is not everything. In the recent issue of THN, they were listing all the great WJC performances by players who went on to go bustarama in the big leagues. I'm not sayign that Mueller will do that, but I don't think you can conclude that one player is not on the same level as the other based on the WJC. In Okposo's case, he looked raw to me. He could dominate with his skating and size, but didn't seem to put it all together. I think that is partially because he has not played in a high level league until this season.

I think Okposo's top end COULD be higher than Mueller's when all is said and done. But, I think Okposo has a bit more work to do. I'd like to see him stay in the NCAA for at least one more season.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

Isn't Okposo the go-to guy as a freshman on one of the top college teams in the nation? He's leading Minnesota in scoring, and they were #1 all year until their recent losing streak.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Brad Richards pt 2?

He's not really much like Richards.

More of a 'B' version of Joe Thornton - nice size, extremely strong on the puck, can slow the game down to his speed and find seams and tear defenses apart with passes most players couldn't even see to make. Can hold onto the puck forever before finding someone in a scoring position, and is dominant on the PP.

I'm probably in the minority but I'd take him over Toews - find him to be a lot more dynamic offensively and a surer bet to be a scoring-line NHL center. Something about Toews has just never said 'elite player' to me, as much as I like his overall game.

Marleau?

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005

I totally agree with this. Whether or not Hudler is going to be a scorer in the NHL remains to be seen but for someone to say he lacks drive and grit, you obviously haven't seen him play.
It's not like he's knocking heads out there but this kid is absolutely fearless when going into the corners or against the boards for loose pucks, backing down from noone. I wish half the Wings team played with this fire and desire. Lang would be leading the league in scoring if he played like Hudler.

If Hudler is dealt or is actually given top 2 line minutes it wouldn't be a surprise to me in the least if he becomes a 25+ goal scorer. I actually see him being a grittier, slower version of Slava Kozlov.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I totally agree with this. Whether or not Hudler is going to be a scorer in the NHL remains to be seen but for someone to say he lacks drive and grit, you obviously haven't seen him play.
It's not like he's knocking heads out there but this kid is absolutely fearless when going into the corners or against the boards for loose pucks, backing down from noone. I wish half the Wings team played with this fire and desire. Lang would be leading the league in scoring if he played like Hudler.

If Hudler is dealt or is actually given top 2 line minutes it wouldn't be a surprise to me in the least if he becomes a 25+ goal scorer. I actually see him being a grittier, slower version of Slava Kozlov.

He reminds me of how Nagy used to be before he became so afraid of injury. Hopefully Hudler can avoid all of that.

arin1

Apr 30, 2006
Yeah, Hudler is probably the most fearless Wing at the moment... I remember in the preseason when he got in a 'scrum' and Kubina crosschecked him in the face(Wasnt Kubina kicked & suspended?)..

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

I wouldn't say that Mueller and Marleau are that similar. True, they are both big, physical forwards, but Marleau is one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and even though Mueller's skating is decent, it's nowhere near that level. Marleau plays at a high tempo; like someone else posted before, Mueller slows the game down to his level.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->