Peter Mueller, best in the WHL?

Dan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
* With 31 points in 18 games, he's leading the league in points per game at 1.72.
* He wins the vast majority of his faceoffs.
* He plays both ends of the ice, being defensively responsible and a top penalty killer, despite having the type of offensive gifts that would cause some to neglect those parts of their game.
* He's shown versatility, capably handling the center point on the power play, a position usually reserved for a defenseman.
* As the eighth-overall selection in this year's NHL draft, he's tied for the highest-taken skater in the league (Prince George right wing Devin Setoguchi was taken eighth overall in 2005, and Tri-City goaltender Carey Price was taken fifth overall in 2005).
"I played with Erik Christensen (the league's leading scorer in 2002-03) for 15-20 games in Kamloops and he was probably the only other player I can think of who controlled games when he wanted to," Gutierrez added. "Mueller's definitely a player who doesn't come around too often."
Article: Is Mueller the best player in the Western Hockey League?

Is Peter Mueller the best player in the WHL? Best 18 year old in the WHL? Best forward in the WHL? I know some fans say he's not the best player on his team, and rightfully so. Leland Irving looks like a world beater. Anyway, take a read, it's a hometown homer article, but does it have any validity?

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
I'd say Cody Franson with Mueller being the best forward. Some others who are close include Cody Burki, Ben Maxwell and a few others

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I will get a chance to see Mueller play in Vancouver on December 15 and I'm looking forward to that. Lots of good players to check out in a Vancouver-Everett game. I do think of the Mueller as the best in the WHL... he will probably still finish atop the scoring race despite missing games. Plus he looks like a grizzled mountain man, can't go wrong with that.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Kris Russell anyone?

Sure Franson is having a breakout year, but Russell has been dominate for the past 2-3 years in the Dub.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Franson right now is better than Russell ever has been.

And they're right now tied in points

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2003-2004 WHL Season Medicine Hat Tigers 55 4 15 19 -1 30
2004-05 WHL Season Medicine Hat Tigers 72 26 35 61 29 37
2005-06 WHL Season Medicine Hat Tigers 55 14 33 47 8 18
2006-07 WHL Season Medicine Hat Tigers 29 16 18 34 1 18

Russell's stats over the past 4 years.

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2003-2004 WHL Season Vancouver Giants 2 0 0 0 0 0
2004-05 WHL Season Vancouver Giants 64 2 11 13 -10 44
2005-06 WHL Season Vancouver Giants 71 15 40 55 18 61
2006-07 WHL Season Vancouver Giants 28 10 24 34 9 34

Franson's stats over the past 4 years.

Both are on pace for a record year, but Russell is a PROVEN producer.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
Seriously how can you compare that. Your stats right there are three years for Franson and four for Russell. You consider Franson's 04-04 season of 2 games a full season? The reason Russell is a more proven perfomer is because he has played in the league a year longer and consistenly been on solid teams. The Giants have only recently become an elite level team.

Also in the past two years(last year + this year) since Franson has become an elite dman Franson's +/- is way better then Russell's

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
And seeing how last year and this year the Tigers are/were considered underdogs? Both years (this year and last) they lost some key players that were supposed to make them one of the central conference teams missing the playoffs.

Last year they lost their two leading scorers, top two dmen and one of their top defenseive forwards AND their number one goalie.

This year they lost two of their top scorers, their top defensive forward and their top D-man.

Each year Russell keeps stepping it up a bit more to compensate. And you also have to think about the size difference. What is Franson, 6'5, 220 lbs? Russell is 5'10, 170lbs soaking wet with his gear and skates on. How often does it happen that a defenseman UNDER 6'0 is considered dominate in ANY league?

Hawkster58

Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Visit site
Pete Mueller is likely the best forward in the Dub this year, he has all the tools. Big, strong and with that innate ability to carry his team. He makes other players around him better. An absolute stud.:yo:

Great pick for the Yotes.

macleafs

Jan 1, 2004
I think there was a few skaters drafted higher!!

Article: Is Mueller the best player in the Western Hockey League?

Is Peter Mueller the best player in the WHL? Best 18 year old in the WHL? Best forward in the WHL? I know some fans say he's not the best player on his team, and rightfully so. Leland Irving looks like a world beater. Anyway, take a read, it's a hometown homer article, but does it have any validity?

Wasn't Niedermayer, Phillips, Marleau and Jay Bo drafted higher than eight?:teach: I think Mueller may be the best player in the league this year. Does he remind anyone else of Marleau? I think the story means playing this year!

Vik

Nov 18, 2004
Wasn't Niedermayer, Phillips, Marleau and Jay Bo drafted higher than eight?:teach: I think Mueller may be the best player in the league this year. Does he remind anyone else of Marleau? I think the story means playing this year!
Yeah, he's the highest drafted player currently in the WHL.

I'd say Mueller is probably the top forward in the WHL. He's one guy who had me worried any time he was on the ice.

As for Franson vs Russell, give me Russell.

Rob Stauber*

If he turns out like Marleau, I will be ecstatic. Of course, hopefully he turns into Marleau faster than Marleau did. :)

You mean an overrated player who is not capable of being a #1 centre ?

Towelie*

If he turns out like Marleau, I will be ecstatic. Of course, hopefully he turns into Marleau faster than Marleau did. :)

Mueller reminds me of a guy like Stillman, not really similar to Marleau. Marleau is a better hitter, and shooter.

white_tiger

Sep 10, 2006
Phoenix
Well this from our Coyotes prospect thread..

As of Sunday Night...
"Mueller had 3 assists in Everett's 6-2 win tonight to pick up 42 points in 22 games (1.91 points per game, up from 1.12 last year). He's in second place in scoring in the WHL, 5 points back from Hanzal and Burki, despite having played only 22 games to their 31 apiece."

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Well this from our Coyotes prospect thread..

As of Sunday Night...
"Mueller had 3 assists in Everett's 6-2 win tonight to pick up 42 points in 22 games (1.91 points per game, up from 1.12 last year). He's in second place in scoring in the WHL, 5 points back from Hanzal and Burki, despite having played only 22 games to their 31 apiece."

0 goals in his last 8 games. BUT, 17 assists. "Kid can pass the puck" I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->