Peter Chiarelli and the NHL's All Time Poor GM Reigns

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Better.................but I won't say that was the reason and the fruits are showing that even more. Some trades are bad when they happen and then age horribly. This one I knew was bad right then and so far it has aged badly and I think will just be worse.

I'm not sure how you can say it has aged badly less than 18 months after it occurred. Especially when you're claiming it is bad for the team that almost made the semi-final, as compared to the team that finished near the basement.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Why would you expect a veteran player like Bourque not to recognize a rebuild cycle, to not see the writing on the wall? As far as I'm concerned, Bourque's mandate to "lead the Bruins to victory" ended when the team, midway through a last place season (and already missing Neely) , traded away Oates, Tocchet and Ranford for a trio of talented 22-year-olds. After that, what was he expected to do, other than give his all in each game he played, keep the ship mostly upright, and provide comfort and welcome to incoming teenagers Thornton and Samsonov? After that, how long should a 40-something Bourque hang on before the team is ready to win again? Be realistic.

I didn't say they weren't rebuilding, etc. But why not realize that you are a local hero, a recognized superstar that will be discussed amongst the greatest players of all time, and a fan favourite in two countries? Isn't that enough? I can only imagine how it must feel to come so close to your dream then not attain it, but if all its about is asking to be put on loaded teams why bother?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My take is that that says more about the player. He also also failed. As captain, it is his responsibility to lead his team to victory not ask to be traded when he can't because 'time is running out'. No respect for him.

Besides, Sinden was Gord Downies Godfather.
Enough said.
The Bruins fans seemed to disagree because in Bourque's first game back in Boston 1 year after the trade, this was the reaction at the end of the game.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You really think Bourque didn't give it his all for the Bruins and try to win? They don't make the 1988 or 1990 final without him. When you are a defenseman and you are sometimes counted on to be the team's offensive load as well that's putting a lot on a player. Bourque did this for 21 years. It was Bourque who scored two goals to send the game into overtime in Game 1 of the 1990 final. Glen Wesley missed a yawning cage in double overtime, if they win that game it is possible they win the series, or at least are in a better position.

The Bruins for soooooo long were that team that just needed one more piece for a Cup win. I can think of several years where if they had that one extra player it would have made a difference. That's on your GM, not your star defenseman, to provide.

My question is, what other defenseman other than Orr in NHL history carries the Bruins on his back as well as Bourque?

So your take on an all-time poor GM reign is one where his team is just shy of putting together a Cup winner for many years?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The Isles were only going to make the trade if he was available..... and he was the best player available when the trade happened (when the Oilers were OTC).... so yes they did.....
Which also paints a really poor picture of Snow, who apparently wouldn't have traded Reinhart for the likes of Connor, Chabot, Boeser etc. Quite frankly I believe Snow has a job only because he took the worst GM since Millbury to the woodshed, not once but twice. Other than that, he had one of the most talented players in the game on his roster for years and does nothing, in large because he stuck with his poor coach for far too long and because he made a bevy of questionable moves.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Oilers' fans are now patiently waiting to see who gets axed after this season (hopefully someone).

I'm probably in the minority, but I sort-of defiantly think the team should stick with coach Todd McLellan. I actually think McLellan knows what he's doing... except for his bizarre attachment to veterans Lucic and Cammalleri. His hands have been tied by poor team-management and the Oilers' abysmal special-teams (which he gets some of the blame for, but I think the special-teams' coaches have got to go). Hard to say, but I do know that every time the team has changed coaches in the past 12 years, it's gone from bad to worse. McLellan has had two good seasons and one bad one, but that's a better batting-average than anybody in 15 years.

The real villains are Daryl Katz and Chiarelli. Since Katz isn't going to sell the team anytime soon, the best-case scenario is for Chiarelli to go.

It's not so much that Chiarelli's ideas have been bad, but his execution of trades and movement of assets has been disastrous.

The idea of getting a rugged, tough winger to ride shotgun with McDavid in 2016 wasn't a bad idea at all -- McDavid possibly needed it, and the team in general had long lacked a bruiser up front. But then Chia dipped into his "old-boy" network to get Lucic, a player too slow to possibly play with McDavid (arguably now too slow to play in the NHL). On top of that, he massively overpaid and over-contracted him, in a way that will now probably cripple the team.

The idea of trading one of the Oilers' soft, skilled forwards to get a rugged, young defenceman wasn't bad at all. But was the best of those soft, skilled forwards (Taylor Hall) really the one to part with? Then, if you were going to trade Hall, you've got to get more than just one defensive defenceman. I personally love Adam Larsson and I'm glad he's on the team, but Chiarelli should have been able to get him plus a first or second-round pick, or him plus another established winger.

What most of us were saying last summer was that the team was looking better, but there were major holes (a) at the wing and (b) with the back-up goaltending. Neither of these issues was addressed whatsoever by Chiarelli, and consequently the wingers haven't been able to score and the goaltending has been abysmal. In fact, the issue at wing was made yet worse by Chiarelli when he traded Patrick Maroon (27 goals last year) for a 22-year-old who hasn't played in the NHL yet and a draft-pick (which, being the Oilers' pick, will undoubtedly amount to nothing).

I mean, I didn't get that last one. Maybe the Maroon-thing was a money-saver, 'rental' kind of trade, but, let's see: The team's #1 problem this season was lack of scoring from the wing. Chiarelli then trades the team's highest-scoring winger last year for a player who isn't good enough for the NHL and a draft pick. Maroon still had better than 1 point every 2 games this year and was a 'plus' player on a terrible team with third-line minutes. And that's the guy he trades?

In short, this fool needs to go.

But, being the NHL, McLellan will probably be the victim.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'm not sure how you can say it has aged badly less than 18 months after it occurred. Especially when you're claiming it is bad for the team that almost made the semi-final, as compared to the team that finished near the basement.

Don't look now but the Oilers just may have traded away the Hart Trophy winner of 2018......................

It reminds me in a way of Mike O'Connell doing that to Thornton in 2006. They fired him after the season. They really had no choice but to do it. Granted, they actually got some pieces that turned into other things that gave them a Cup, so...........

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Dave Nonis.

buying out grabovski for no reason
signing clarkson to a horrible deal that he got out of because columbus needed insurance
Offering dave bolland way too much money
Orr, Mclaren signings
Bernier trade was a wash but unnecessary at thet ime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->