Confirmed with Link: Pesce signs 6 year extension at 4.025m

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Slavin-Pesce locked into 7+ years for what PK Subban makes.

People talk about foundations of a team. This is a core piece on a great contract.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
This is solid. I think he's every bit the equal of Dumoulin defensively but has way more offensive upside, if he ever gets the opportunity to show it off.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
On the plus side, glad to have him locked up at a reasonable rate for a long time.

On the negative side, seven more years of this Peesh stupidity

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
.....and we all knew it was coming.

Now Peesh has also been declared "overrated" by the trade board.

Time to find a new hero, guys

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So what's with the extra 25k a year? Seems weird to throw that in when you're talking millions.

$150k extra signing bonus for the first year to reward himself with a nice car?

Or to pay mom's house.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If I had $150K to spend on a car, I'd get an Audi TT-RS and some big tank SUV, a Landcruiser or whatever. And spend the other 50K on hookers and blow.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If I had $150K to spend on a car, I'd get an Audi TT-RS and some big tank SUV, a Landcruiser or whatever. And spend the other 50K on hookers and blow.

Myclientwishesittobeknowthat he's referring to Hookers & Blow, Attorneys-at-Law. And not any other form of soliciting.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Suddenly I'm feeling inspired to get a law degree.

Don't do it. It's not worth it.

- A rising 2L

With regards to this deal as a whole, I haven't watched the Canes a ton, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but Pesce is pretty much already worth $4M just based on what he's shown thus far and so even if he didn't get any better and just stayed the same, it would be worth it, right? But obviously he still has room to grow.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
With regards to this deal as a whole, I haven't watched the Canes a ton, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but Pesce is pretty much already worth $4M just based on what he's shown thus far and so even if he didn't get any better and just stayed the same, it would be worth it, right? But obviously he still has room to grow.

I think that is how most around here feel about it. Personally i think he may have a little more offensive ability in him, but we will see. People saying its a bad deal obviously have never seen him play or only seen him once or twice.

Or you know they have never heard his name before or whatever.:sarcasm:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I look at it differently. IMO, Pesce is worth $4M in today's dollars based on what he provides today. But this contract isn't for today, it starts the 18/19 season and goes for 6 years after that Assuming Salaries continue to climb, if Pesce doesn't improve 1 bit and provides what he is providing today, that $4M is going to be a very good contract down the road. If he improves at all, it's going to be a fantastic deal IMO.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The fears that Pesce's offense will never come are far more valid than those concerning Slavin. Pesce is about a offensively deficient as you can get in today's NHL.

Good contract though. Excited to have them for the next 7 years.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
The fears that Pesce's offense will never come are far more valid than those concerning Slavin. Pesce is about a offensively deficient as you can get in today's NHL.

Good contract though. Excited to have them for the next 7 years.

As long as he continues to be an offensive black hole for other teams, I don't mind if he's one for us.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I disagree that he is totally deficient on offense. He makes a nice breakout pass and skates well, picks good moments to join a rush and he has a very good slapshot from what I've seen. IMO he has offensive tools, it's simply a matter of his role on the team not really giving him a chance to show them more often.

Here he crashes the backdoor on a rush and gets a tap-in, easy goal but you have to have at least some offensive instincts to even get to that spot in the first place:

Pretty filthy slapshot here:

I don't think he'll ever light the world on fire but 20-25 points seems pretty achievable and that's not bad. Here's a list of all defenseman scoring last year, you'll notice that there are quite a few players, even players you would say are pretty good, that didn't hit 20 points.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I see it the other way around. I think Pesce's got sneaky offensive instincts but none of the tools to make it happen. None of his offensive tools are elite or even "good." But those types of sneak-in-the-back-door goals above show me those instincts are there.

I'm firmly in the he will bring "ugly" offense camp. I think he brings good offensive awareness but has no tools to make it happen. He'll learn to use it a little better, but he's not Cam Fowler and that lack of puck skill will limit him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->