Not open for further replies.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Nice journalism by Cressman. This is from a poster on the New Ohl Open Forum

Sounder82 said:
Jim Cressman:

You are a terrible reporter.

Now you are everywhere, Sportsnet, TSN, the FAN590, etc, etc, etc.... its as if you are the spokesperson for the London Knights...but you are not.

You are an ink stained wretch who does not check your sources at all.

Anyone remember about the story he wrote about a year and a half ago, when Perry was cut from the WJC team?

Well...I do. At that time, I suspected Cressman was on here, as many of his articles smelled like a concauction of NOOF ingredients.

So to test this, I made up a rumour that Fluery was hit by a puck from Corey Perry and a tiff resulted in him getting cut. I said Paille had to break them up. I said I had a good source.

Well. I didn't. Every letter of that was a lie, a fabrication. I'm sorry to Perry if it was a distraction, but this didn't come out until afterwards so I know it didn't affect his chances, I do feel bad he had to answer the questions Cressman asked him...

BUT, Jim, you did not check you sources... you wrote a story based on what some anonymous person wrote, and for that you should apologize for your LACK OF JOURNALISTIC INTEGRITY.

here's a few links on the story.
http://hfboards.com/archive/index.php/t-37466.html\

the infamous article link:
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/Sports/2003/12/20/292621.html

(incase that web page goes "missing")

Rumour says Fleury tiff cost Perry juniors

JIM CRESSMAN, Free Press Sports Reporter 2003-12-20 03:59:20

DVD PlayersiPods & Accessories

The second-guessing has started and London Knights right-winger Corey Perry is in the middle. One National Hockey League scout said yesterday he can't understand why Perry isn't with Canada for the world junior hockey championship.

Now there is also a suggestion that Perry and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury were involved in an incident that may have cost Perry a spot on the team.
"I'm not going to comment on it. Nothing happened," Perry said yesterday when asked if he and Fleury had a tiff.

The NHL scout said that in his mind and in the minds of many of his colleagues who attended the four-day camp in Kitchener, Perry was the third-best forward on the ice.

He said only Brent Burns, on loan from the Minnesota Wild, and Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds captain Jeff Carter of London out-performed Perry.

"I don't know how they go about the process but no matter how you pick the team, Perry should have been there," the scout said after Perry went into the camp as the OHL's top scorer.

"It's not fair to second-guess, but most scouts had him on their team. I didn't see any problem with this defensive game and he was the leading scorer in the scrimmages and exhibition games.

"Scoring isn't everything, but he created offence and was a factor on every shift. And there's not one player on that team who's a better skater."

The Perry-Fleury incident supposedly began on the ice and carried over to a hallway in the hotel, where captain Daniel Paille intervened. It has been said that Fleury told Hockey Canada officials he wouldn't play if Perry made the team.

But Blair Mackasey, head scout for the junior team, said this was the first he heard of the report.

"That would be totally out of character for Marc-Andre Fleury. And if anything had happened, I certainly would have known," Mackasey said.

"I don't put one ounce of truth in it."

The scout said he never saw anything between Perry and Fleury on the ice and he was at every session.

"If he is fighting with the goalie, I still would take him," the scout added.

Perry was among the final cuts Tuesday morning.

"I thought Corey played well and obviously well enough to be a final consideration," Mackasey said. "If a right-winger goes down (before the tournament opens Friday), I'd have no hesitation in putting Corey in the lineup.

"What it came down to was everybody (the three coaches and Mackasey) was asked to write down our best (22-player) lineup, and Corey wasn't on it.

"What he did do and didn't do, we didn't go into. But ask me one thing he has to do and it's improve his foot speed. But that's not a knock. This is a kid who's probably going to be on this team next year."

The scout feels the selection camp isn't fair to the 13 players who were cut and thinks the U.S. method is best.

"Just pick the best team, like the Americans (who only hold a summer camp).

"I don't understand the logic of putting these kids in a situation where they're competitive against each other, then you ask them to be a team."

He said the players who were cut "are going to struggle until the world junior is over.

"I feel bad for those kids. "

I give sincere congrats to Perry and the Knights. you smoked the entire CHL this year.

Jim: I'm not going to say anything that is considered black mail, but, you should apologize for this story, at least privately to Perry. I have done this via email to Perry and he has responded appreciating my truthfulness.

This reporter is terrible, and is not the poster child for this team or this city. It has caught up with him now.

Goodbye all, this is probably my last post, even if I'm not booted, my interest in OHL hockey is over, and my hockey days may be over for awhile as I broke my left arm, wrist, and have two cracked ribs from a car accident on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->