perhaps a different way to bring salary sanity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
entry level contracts are extended to 4 years.
entry bonus capped to 100% of the value of the contract
entry level contracts are capped at $850 for 1st rd pick, $750 2nd, $650 3rd, $550 for 4th+ rd picks

All contracts cannot be longer then 3 years

all players are free agents at 26 yrs old( business principles of supply and demand as well as the fact that if a team is tight with there money the player can move on while he is still young)

buyouts are paid at 35% of the contract

players pay for their own meals and hotels and sticks etc ($300 a stick times 2 or 3 sticks a game and then practises are silly when the players make so much)

players roster reduced to 20 players down from 23

i certainly invite a discussion on these ideas

Cheers

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
reducing the roster size will never fly with the NHLPA

i'm not a huge fan of a low low FA age either...mainly cuz I'm not a huge fan of lots of player movement. i like my team to have an identity built on players staying there and playing together for years, but i guess that's a "selfish" reason. but also consider some players don't really get into the NHL or reach their potential until their mid 20's...you'd only have a year or two of those guys being on the team that drafted them before, bang, they're gone unless you shell out the "big bucks"

the rookie contracts based on draft ranking might not fly too well either...what if a guy is drafted late round but then really explodes and is one of the top top prospects in the league...but since he was drafted in the 8th round he can only get a contract for 200k, while another guy drafted higher than him and not nearly as good could demand more

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
late rdrs would make up their money in the next contracts

its not so different now, i just hate when a second rdr demand 1st rd max money etc

players roster will fly because the PA themselves have said they are willing to fold tems for a free market system

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
but you're locking players into 4 year long entry level contracts...rather annoying for an extremely good player who happened to be picked in a late round to be locked into making peanuts when he might be one of the best players in the league

obviously i'm just making this scenario up, but my point is that i don't think draft position should be used as way to determine salary. sometimes the best players aren't drafted high

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Here's a better way to control rookie salaries. Change the draft age to 20. Players are much more of a sure thing at 20 than 18, so there will be fewer busts, which is the biggest problem with the way rookie salaries are now.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
jcab2000 said:
Here's a better way to control rookie salaries. Change the draft age to 20. Players are much more of a sure thing at 20 than 18, so there will be fewer busts, which is the biggest problem with the way rookie salaries are now.

That would probably be illegal. Players will sue for their right to practice their chosen profession at the age of adulthood.

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
tom_servo said:
That would probably be illegal. Players will sue for their right to practice their chosen profession at the age of adulthood.

They've kept it at 20 in the NFL. I don't know how it would fly in court, but still think it would be better for the NHL to have it at 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad