Perezhogin Pleads Guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I can't wait either...would of loved to have seen how he fared in the world championships...underrated prospect IMO...

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
The thing which still hasn't been resolved to the satisfaction of some of us illogical Habs fans however is what effect an assault conviction and being on probation for a year might have on his ability to cross borders...? Presumably it doesn't have an effect, otherwise it would have been mentioned, and he wouldn't have pled guilty.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:
The thing which still hasn't been resolved to the satisfaction of some of us illogical Habs fans however is what effect an assault conviction and being on probation for a year might have on his ability to cross borders...? Presumably it doesn't have an effect, otherwise it would have been mentioned, and he wouldn't have pled guilty.

The plea bargain probably contains some kind of probation, like Bertuzzi's plea bargain. Pretty much says that if Perezhogin is a good boy and follows his probation rules for some period (likely a year), he doesn't get a criminal record. Thus he'll be able to cross borders.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
He's very underrated... excellent prospect, and I don't see how he did wrong. When you're attacked like that, animal instinct takes over, so I can't blame him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hope the NHL/AHL forces him to honour his suspension next year.

It doesn't seem right that he earned more money (and got to play closer to home) in 04-05 than had he not been suspended. If no further action is taken, and his only punishment is 'banishment' to Russia for a year, that's pretty weak. It's actually more of a reward than a punishment.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
MS said:

It doesn't seem right that he earned more money (and got to play closer to home) in 04-05 than had he not been suspended. If no further action is taken, and his only punishment is 'banishment' to Russia for a year, that's pretty weak. It's actually more of a reward than a punishment.
The NHL has no power to enforce the suspension. If there had been a season this year, he could have played in the NHL if the Habs had chosen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Psycho Joe said:
The NHL has no power to enforce the suspension. If there had been a season this year, he could have played in the NHL if the Habs had chosen.

That is ridiculous then. Wouldn't it be up to Colin Campbell whether the NHL recognizes suspensions from other leagues? I assume Hab fans know more about this ...

I thought the year suspension was on the harsh side, but to have him completely escape punishment for taking a baseball swing at a guy's face would be nauseating.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
MS said:
That is ridiculous then. Wouldn't it be up to Colin Campbell whether the NHL recognizes suspensions from other leagues? I assume Hab fans know more about this ...

I thought the year suspension was on the harsh side, but to have him completely escape punishment for taking a baseball swing at a guy's face would be nauseating.
Apparantly the NHL does not recognize AHL suspensions. Personally I feel Campbell should of had his own hearing and based any NHL ban on NHL precedents (ie about 20-30 games) since an AHL commissioner should have no jurisdiction on who can and can't play in the NHL. But dim's the rules.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
acr said:
Yeah, and I've actually seen some idiot Hab fans try and defend him, claiming he should've gotten a major penalty at most because the other guy swung and missed.... :shakehead

and many Canucks fans said the same thing for Bertuzzi.

the fact is that perezoghin really deserved a long, very long suspension. I think one year was a lot, but he has paid his due and he shouldn't have one more year just because there was no NHL. It's not his fault.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
MS said:

He was suspened for the '04'-05 AHL season. He served it, case closed.

As for playing in Russia, he had to go in front of the IIHF as suspended players have to get approval to play in any Euro league. He was allowed to play, perhaps it had something to do with never having a major penalty in his career.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ryderama said:
and many Canucks fans said the same thing for Bertuzzi.

the fact is that perezoghin really deserved a long, very long suspension. I think one year was a lot, but he has paid his due and he shouldn't have one more year just because there was no NHL. It's not his fault.

How has he 'paid his due'?

He probably would rather have spent the 04-05 season playing in Russia than in the AHL - that's not a punishment. Guys like Koltsov and Tjutin bolted as quick as they could from the AHL back to Russia.

He more than likely made more money playing in the RHL than he would have in the AHL - that's not a punishment.

Basically, if he's allowed to resume his career in North America next year without any further disciplinary action, he's gotten off scot free for one of the worst stick swinging incidents in recent hockey history.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
He wanted to stay in the AHL for his development, but he couldn't. He also tried to come over for the playoff, but he couldn't. He payed his due period.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Garp said:
He wanted to stay in the AHL for his development, but he couldn't. He also tried to come over for the playoff, but he couldn't. He payed his due period.

He missed no games and lost no money. That's not a punishment or paying your due.

Say the Bertuzzi incident happened in the playoffs last year, and the league suspended him for a year. Would he have 'paid his due' if he missed no games and lost no money due to the lockout? Fans would be screaming about it, and rightly so.

mytor4*

MS said:

and to think stafford only got suspended 6 games for doing the same thing.but i forgot perezhogin ain't from north america so he's the bad guy for defending himself. ya makes sense?

HF-Addict

Feb 26, 2004
MS said:
He missed no games and lost no money. That's not a punishment or paying your due.

Say the Bertuzzi incident happened in the playoffs last year, and the league suspended him for a year. Would he have 'paid his due' if he missed no games and lost no money due to the lockout? Fans would be screaming about it, and rightly so.

Last time I checked, the AHL wasn't interrupted because of a lock-out and neither did perezoghin figure on any AHL roster team...So yes, he paid his due. He missed 1 year (about 100 games?) of AHL hockey and that was his punishment. And your crap about money and Russia, going oversea wasn't his choice. His choice was to stay in AHL in order to get sooner than later into the NHL, he didn't WANT to go there, he was FORCED to go somewhere else because of the ban. If he makes more money, it has NOTHING to do with the relevance of his punishment.

You are clueless.

HF-Addict

Feb 26, 2004
mytor4 said:
and to think stafford only got suspended 6 games for doing the same thing.but i forgot perezhogin ain't from north america so he's the bad guy for defending himself. ya makes sense?

The only difference is that Stafford didn't connect as hard as Perez if I remember correctly. Needless to say though that he started it all and that 6 games wasn't enough. Personnaly, but let's not start this as it has already been talked about plenty of times, I think the 1 year ban was more than enough (read too much).

I'm happy the suspension is now over and that NHL hockey is likely to start soon. Hopefully we will see more of him in the NHL, if not, well in the AHL. He had a great season.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
For what? How about for battle axing a guy in the head causing him to convulge?

I never said Stafford did nothing wrong, I never even implied it. But considering the consequences of Perezhogin's actions were far worse than Stafford's, he should be the one to extend an apology first, if he hasn't done so already.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
HF-Addict said:
Last time I checked, the AHL wasn't interrupted because of a lock-out and neither did perezoghin figure on any AHL roster team...So yes, he paid his due. He missed 1 year (about 100 games?) of AHL hockey and that was his punishment. And your crap about money and Russia, going oversea wasn't his choice. His choice was to stay in AHL in order to get sooner than later into the NHL, he didn't WANT to go there, he was FORCED to go somewhere else because of the ban. If he makes more money, it has NOTHING to do with the relevance of his punishment.

You are clueless.

Do we know that that's what he wanted, or was he saying it because his agent knew it was good PR to put that out there? Pretty much every Russian in his age group scheduled to play in the AHL this year couldn't get out of there fast enough. I highly doubt he was devastated to be going home to Russia, playing with Jaromir Jagr and other star NHLers, making a fat paycheck, and not losing out on anything.

The guy took a baseball swing at another player's face. He didn't lose any money over it (and in fact likely made more as things worked out). He didn't have to sit in the press box and watch his team play. He didn't miss out on any NHL opportunities. He just went back to Russia like everyone else, had a nice season there, and basically gets off with no punishment.

mytor4*

in what i saw if you break it down was you hit me i hit you.if you punch me and i return the favor but in doing so i break your nose should i be punished more than you for it. no way. i first was just giving back what was giving to me . it just happen i connected a lot better than you. i don,t condone what happened i just don,t see how you punish one more than the other based on the theory i got more hurt than you even tho i started it.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
mytor4 said:
in what i saw if you break it down was you hit me i hit you.if you punch me and i return the favor but in doing so i break your nose should i be punished more than you for it. no way. i first was just giving back what was giving to me . it just happen i connected a lot better than you. i don,t condone what happened i just don,t see how you punish one more than the other based on the theory i got more hurt than you even tho i started it.
If Perezhogin hadn't done what he did, Stafford would have come out of it looking a lot worse. Perezhogin should have acted like the bigger man and either left it alone, or faced up to Stafford and dropped the gloves.

This schoolyard attitude of "he started it" doesn't hold any water.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
So most of you guys want to punish him more?
A 20 or 21 year old guy made a (bad) mistake, allthough he defenses himself to a attack. he has never gotten a major penalty, never fights another player.
there was one moment where he completely freaked out due to a attack as a 20 year old boy. and his "victim" got healthy quick (otherwise than in bertuzzis case) and you want to punish him more what could easily influence this great young guys carreer badly?
I think his punishment was enough and he should play hockey next year to show everybody that it was an individual case...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->