People who take hockey WAY too seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
After playing hockey for 13 years, at levels of Highschool Varsity, Midget AAA, etc. I figured I had seen my fair share of peopel who took the game way too seriously. Guys who started fights when not even remotely necessary, people who played meaningless games like it was game seven of the cup finals. Nothing however that I have seen compared to my most recent experience in Deck hockey, aka ball hockey to most.

Our game pitted the top team in the league (us) posting a 6-1-1 record, the only loss coming when we had 4 guys...only one of which was any good, and the team who won the league title last season. Now our team is comprised of guys who are either 17 or 18. The team we played featured guys mostly in their late 20s to 30s, all of which were big guys. The smallest was probably 5'10 and a solid 200 lbs. The teams forte was that they are more physical then most and beat teams that way. Although we never played them, I couldnt imagine the team being too ridiculous, but boy was I wrong. The first glimpse at the teams absurd behavior came when our goalie froze the ball. Despite numerous whistles, a player nicknamed 'Gorilla', who stood 6'5 340 lbs (no skill just big) hacked away relentlessly at the ball. My friend came flying in from the side and managed to push him out of the way, as most defenseman do when a player is simply going to town on their goalie. This immense man turned around, literally ready to kill my friend, despite the fact that my buddy stands 5'7 and weighs about 140 soaking wet. After a tense moment...one when I personally thought this player was going to inhale my friend, everyone settled down and the game continued. While we tried to play on, the opposing team continued their unnecessarily rough play, throwing our players on the ground, into the boards, and often emphatically yelling afterward, despite the fact that they were all twice our age and 4 times our size. In the end, we won, 3-0, although the score can be somewhat inflated considering we scored all of those golas in the last 2 and a half minutes.

Basically I'm just wondering if you guys had any similar experiences with guys who just won't give it up.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

sure, I've had those experiences...most people have. I would agree with you, if it's not an NHL game or the finals...chill out:).

I personally do like to play physically, but you will never see me going after a kid twice younger than me! I think that is just stupid and immature to be honest...also could really hurt someone like that.

The good thing is you guys still won! Way to go!:)

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I am the captain of a team in the ASHL (adult league). Our team is all 18-19 yr olds with a couple 16-17 yr olds. The other teams are mostly comprised of 20-30 yr olds. Some teams go after us just because we are young. It can be a major pain in the ass because we know that certain teams will always try to start fights just because we are younger and are beating them.

Leetchie

Mar 3, 2002
Hillsborough, NJ
Visit site
DaveyCrockett said:
I am the captain of a team in the ASHL (adult league). Our team is all 18-19 yr olds with a couple 16-17 yr olds. The other teams are mostly comprised of 20-30 yr olds. Some teams go after us just because we are young. It can be a major pain in the ass because we know that certain teams will always try to start fights just because we are younger and are beating them.

16 and 17 year olds don't belong in adult leagues. Sure, they may be even more skilled than some of the adults, but they shouldn't be there.

It's very humiliating for a team comprised of 25-35 year olds to lose to a team full of 16-19 year olds, regardless of skill level. They will do that to you (I was one of those guys who was 18 playing against 30 year olds), and you just have to fight through it.

That is so strange. It's the exact opposite of what I have experienced. In nearly every case of over-aggressive hockey I have ever seen it was the younger team who took everything way to seriously.

Our division has a lot of the same teams back year after year and for the most part in spite of opposition you get a pretty good feel for how the game will play out. We have some very strong rivalries with a few teams that can get pretty physical along the boards and in the corners, but they never cross that line. When new younger teams come into our division they almost always are too aggressive, very vocal with refs, pushing after whistles etc.... Now granted this is generalizing somewhat, I am fully aware of younger guys who just play the game, and conversely older guys who work out frustrations on a bunch of innocent bystanders who happen to be wearing a different color jersey.

But by and large the only time I have seen older guys lose it is when they feel there was a deliberate attempt to injure them. Because everyone has a career and in a lot of cases families to look after. Going after a guys knee because he burnt you twice, hacking a goalies hand because you can't beat him, cross checking a d-man in the back because you haven't been able to get around him, etc.... this is the kind of crap that is the worst and needs to be dealt with a lot more harshly than it is now.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
I can't stand parents who talk about their 10 year old kids being in the NHL one day. I also don't like players playing C level house league talking about how they are going to atleast make the BCHL :shakehead

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
We've got this tool in our area that meets these standards. He's a former college club player but he keeps showing up on teams in the beginner league. Why? I guess he likes to dominate the competition. Not only does he have way more skill than most of the other players, but he goes out of his way to dominate lesser players physically. He hits the corners elbows high and hammers players from behind to clear them out of the crease. I can't count the number of times I've seen him drive someone into the boards and we're a no-check league. He's banned from several rinks in our area.

But the worst thing I ever saw him do was to drop the gloves and just start pounding away on some guy because the other guy outhustled him to the puck. Oh, and this wasn't even a game. It was Monday night drop-in.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
I play in a beer laegue, and there always are the guys that go in front of the net and stay there. They just won't let themselves be moved. I use to slash and crosscheck these guys like madmen when I was playing decent caliber hockey. But now we are friends playing some hockey for fun, so I don't want to hurt anyone. Most of the guys move by themselves when I get close to them. It give and take move by yourself so I don't hurt. Some guy don't get that

Icer said:
We've got this tool in our area that meets these standards. He's a former college club player but he keeps showing up on teams in the beginner league. Why? I guess he likes to dominate the competition. Not only does he have way more skill than most of the other players, but he goes out of his way to dominate lesser players physically. He hits the corners elbows high and hammers players from behind to clear them out of the crease. I can't count the number of times I've seen him drive someone into the boards and we're a no-check league. He's banned from several rinks in our area.

But the worst thing I ever saw him do was to drop the gloves and just start pounding away on some guy because the other guy outhustled him to the puck. Oh, and this wasn't even a game. It was Monday night drop-in.

Sounds like a real winner. :shakehead

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
I saw this guy grab a jersey from behind, then punch him in the back of the head, push him to the ground...and then he still tried to take a swing at the guy when he was down. Fortunately, a pig pile came in that stopped the last punch - or unfortunately, because the pig pile only made the kid's injuries more severe. He might never play hockey again.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Leetchie said:
16 and 17 year olds don't belong in adult leagues. Sure, they may be even more skilled than some of the adults, but they shouldn't be there.

It's very humiliating for a team comprised of 25-35 year olds to lose to a team full of 16-19 year olds, regardless of skill level. They will do that to you (I was one of those guys who was 18 playing against 30 year olds), and you just have to fight through it.

Agree 110%....nothing personal to those kids but they're adult leagues for a reason. The majority of adults playing recreational or gentleman's sports are playing because of beer and to get a chance to get away from their wives. A lot of these 16-17 year olds are playing to win because they haven't lost their competitive edge yet. Most of the young hockey players get schooled by the older guys where I come from. :)

Ogopogo*

Pensfan86 said:
After playing hockey for 13 years, at levels of Highschool Varsity, Midget AAA, etc. I figured I had seen my fair share of peopel who took the game way too seriously. Guys who started fights when not even remotely necessary, people who played meaningless games like it was game seven of the cup finals. Nothing however that I have seen compared to my most recent experience in Deck hockey, aka ball hockey to most.

Our game pitted the top team in the league (us) posting a 6-1-1 record, the only loss coming when we had 4 guys...only one of which was any good, and the team who won the league title last season. Now our team is comprised of guys who are either 17 or 18. The team we played featured guys mostly in their late 20s to 30s, all of which were big guys. The smallest was probably 5'10 and a solid 200 lbs. The teams forte was that they are more physical then most and beat teams that way. Although we never played them, I couldnt imagine the team being too ridiculous, but boy was I wrong. The first glimpse at the teams absurd behavior came when our goalie froze the ball. Despite numerous whistles, a player nicknamed 'Gorilla', who stood 6'5 340 lbs (no skill just big) hacked away relentlessly at the ball. My friend came flying in from the side and managed to push him out of the way, as most defenseman do when a player is simply going to town on their goalie. This immense man turned around, literally ready to kill my friend, despite the fact that my buddy stands 5'7 and weighs about 140 soaking wet. After a tense moment...one when I personally thought this player was going to inhale my friend, everyone settled down and the game continued. While we tried to play on, the opposing team continued their unnecessarily rough play, throwing our players on the ground, into the boards, and often emphatically yelling afterward, despite the fact that they were all twice our age and 4 times our size. In the end, we won, 3-0, although the score can be somewhat inflated considering we scored all of those golas in the last 2 and a half minutes.

Basically I'm just wondering if you guys had any similar experiences with guys who just won't give it up.

I grew up in south-central British Columbia in a town (not Kelowna) with a junior hockey team.

The men's ball hockey league in that town is completely insane. It is made up of a bunch of guys that never played ice hockey or were never any good at ice hockey, and junior players that spend their summers in town.

The hacks that couldn't play ice hockey like to play rough. This is freaking ball hockey - everybody has to work in the morning - calm the frick down. I had one instance where a 6'5" steroid monkey wanted to scrap me (I am 5'7") and another where a summering junior player whacked my brother in the head with his stick - blood everywhere.

Some of the guys in the league take the scoring race so seriously, they get their buddies to keep the stats and cheat to help them win?!?!?!?! The ones that aren't trying to win the scoring race are chippy as hell.

After two years of that crap, I quit playing. It was no fun at all, it was just a buch of psychotic freaks trying to "live the dream". Good Lord, it is men's freaking ball hockey. Get a life!

Now I play ball hockey once a week with a group of great guys that understand it is just for fun.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Leetchie said:

There aren't any other options for a bunch of friends of varying skill levels to play summer hockey together. Nearly everyone on the team has stopped playing competive hockey (except the three players under 18). Are we not allowed to play semi-organized hockey again until we are 25-30? I would also like to add that I think the personalities on a team are what determines how well behaved the team is. Some people are just plain jerks.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pensfan86 said:

Was this at Dek Star?

I hate playing on my feet but will do it once in awhile.

The one time out Dek Star this loon turned his stick over and swung it like a sickle at this other guy. The tip of the blade got buried in the guys head...he started running around screaming... I just stood there in disbelief. They called an ambulance and the police, obviously.

I think the guy got an agg. assault charge and suspended sentence.

The ref never called a penalty. Can you believe that? j/k

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
Was this at Dek Star?

I hate playing on my feet but will do it once in awhile.

The one time out Dek Star this loon turned his stick over and swung it like a sickle at this other guy. The tip of the blade got buried in the guys head...he started running around screaming... I just stood there in disbelief. They called an ambulance and the police, obviously.

I think the guy got an agg. assault charge and suspended sentence.

The ref never called a penalty. Can you believe that? j/k

Dear god...I actually play at Penn Hills at the Greater Pittsburgh Sports Club.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I played in a pretty competitive rec league this year. Standings are kept and posted in the newspaper and all that jazz. Some teams are perennial powerhouses and some pretty good rivalries between some of the teams. It's definitely one of the more competitive rec leagues you'll come across. The ages probably range from 18 to 40, with the average age being 25 or so. Some teams are young, some like mine are older.

Anyways, it was my experience that it's mostly the young guys that get hyper competitve and have the short tempers. I know for myself I was same way. I enjoy nothing more than a hard fought close game. (For me being a defenseman now the hard fought close games mean don't make a mistake!!) In these games though you the majority of the chippy play comes from the young pups. I'm just out there to play and want to win as much as the rest of them but fail to see how trying to hurt guys is part of the game plan. I suppose when your older you realize there's more important things in life than trying to knock some guys head off. I don't think some young guys realize this yet.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
Hedberg said:
I can't stand parents who talk about their 10 year old kids being in the NHL one day. I also don't like players playing C level house league talking about how they are going to atleast make the BCHL :shakehead

How about parents on our Massachusetts hockey board who fight about which team of kids born in 1998 will take the title this year?! :eek:

It's 6-7 years olds after all...

Parents keep discussing what 6-7-8 yo goalie is better!

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
On one day a couple of years ago, I sort of took it too seriously.

I was playing rec hockey (ASHL, if it matters), when a guy hit me from behind into the boards. Hitting from behind is BS in any league, but moreso when it's supposed to be non-contact. I spun around, gave the guy a light jab/shove to the chin and told him to go have sex with himself.

No sooner is the "f" sound coming out of my mouth, than this guy has dropped his gloves and was ready to rumble. I figured, "Oh well. In for a penny, in for a pound" and dropped mine. And then we danced (well, we rassled a bit, and when I realized he was going to get my jersey over my head, I manhandled him to the ice).

So, there you have it: my first hockey fight - at the age of 33. :dunce:

Rusty Shackleford

Leafs Nation
Jul 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
I play for the Midget "A" Greater Kingston Rep Predators and last year we played a game against our arch-rival Ottawa Valley Titans, and well we had the best team in the league and Ottawa Valley had the 2nd best team we hadn't lost a game through the f 34 games of the year while this was the championship meeting with our arch-rival Ottawa Valley who was second place with only 3 losses though 30-something games.

We were winning 4-0 after the 1st period then they went off for 7 straight goals in the second period to take a 7-4 lead now I'm obviously fraustrated because we obviously had the best team in the league and should have one the championship, so there best player who had 4 goals was going through Centre Ice stick handling with his head down and I crushed him with a perfectly leagal check, now one of there wingers cross checked me in the back of the head so I got up we dropped the glove and well I sorta threw him around and manhandled him then at then end of the fight I was on top of him I got up and he kicked me with his skate on in my hand and cut my hand open and I had to go to the hospital now I thought that was going too far.

teamstag

Jun 18, 2005
Spruce Grove
SuperMan313 said:
I play for the Midget "A" Greater Kingston Rep Predators and last year we played a game against our arch-rival Ottawa Valley Titans, and well we had the best team in the league and Ottawa Valley had the 2nd best team we hadn't lost a game through the f 34 games of the year while this was the championship meeting with our arch-rival Ottawa Valley who was second place with only 3 losses though 30-something games.

We were winning 4-0 after the 1st period then they went off for 7 straight goals in the second period to take a 7-4 lead now I'm obviously fraustrated because we obviously had the best team in the league and should have one the championship, so there best player who had 4 goals was going through Centre Ice stick handling with his head down and I crushed him with a perfectly leagal check, now one of there wingers cross checked me in the back of the head so I got up we dropped the glove and well I sorta threw him around and manhandled him then at then end of the fight I was on top of him I got up and he kicked me with his skate on in my hand and cut my hand open and I had to go to the hospital now I thought that was going too far.

Interesting story. Was kinda hard to read on only 1 breath though :help:.

I used to be one of those guys that took shinny/road hockey with the guys WAY too seriously. I'd scream at people and other crap like that. Although, most of the time it was for a good reason... not just because I felt like it.

Now... I've since cooled down. I'm not really an intense person.

What pisses me off more than those people are the ones that think they are the next Gretzky. They're just complete jerkoffs. They think they're better then everyone else...and maybe they are but you don't have to be a jackass about it... IT's SHINNY!

KariyaIsGod*

I'm a smack talker... I'm always talkin' during the play.

It comes from my street ball days, I can't help it...

DAebi1

I play street hockey with my friends so it really never gets that serious other than when I get mad at myself or the score or whatever. Never mad in a sense that I want to fight or get rough, I just try to play harder.

I also never take the goals I score seriously. I almost never celebrate, unless it's for a win or something. All the people I play with aren't that good, including myself, so even if I score a Bure goal or the one-handed Forsberg move, I just run back on defense.

KariyaIsGod*

Yeah, over celebrating is not cool...

You need to talk though. Get inside a guys head. If a defenseman can't stop you, you have to let him know he's incapapable of stopping you. And you need to let him know every trip up the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->