Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Jets | loss | Would of won if coach had put ColePens in the 3rd

We lost because:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Coach doesn't do anything to mitigate against the obvious size discrepancy either. Just keeps sticking with the lines that already lost us a ton of games and have only shown themselves to be able to beat teams in the Bedard sweepstakes.

Four wins. Thats all we have to show for the way the top-6 is currently configured. Its unbelievable that the coaching staff doesn't know that. And if they do, they should be immediately fired. The lot of them.

It's hilarious how quickly Sullivan abandoned Rakell on the top line after a couple of games of struggling, but he's perfectly fine running GCRust game after game despite the team looking like ass with this configuration.

But yeah, Sullivan's not the issue. It's goaltending/bottom six. :rolleyes:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's hilarious how quickly Sullivan abandoned Rakell on the top line after a couple of games of struggling, but he's perfectly fine running GCRust game after game despite the team looking like ass with this configuration.

But yeah, Sullivan's not the issue. It's goaltending/bottom six. :rolleyes:

It’s insane. PIT media is blaming Hextall for everything right now when Kapanen and Carter are both on 40+ pt paces and McGinn is on a 20 goal pace.

What exactly do they want from our bottom six?

You know what the bigger production issue is? Our lack of f***ing goals from the blue line where Sully continuously trots out Petts, Dumo, and Ruhwedel in huge minutes..

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It’s insane. PIT media is blaming Hextall for everything right now when Kapanen and Carter are both on 40+ pt paces and McGinn is on a 20 goal pace.

What exactly do they want from our bottom six?

You know what the bigger production issue is? Our lack of f***ing goals from the blue line where Sully continuously trots out Petts, Dumo, and Ruhwedel in huge minutes..

I honestly don't think some fans realize what kind of production is "normal" for a bottom six. Do people think all these top teams have third and fourth lines on pace for 30 goals each, along with Bergeron-like analytics?

The team that literally just curb-stomped us has this as their bottom six:
Lowry - 23 points
Gagner - 14 points
Barron - 11 points
Jonsson-Fialby - 9 points
Maenalainen - 6 points
Stenlend - 4 points in 15 games
Kuhlman - 3 points in 13 games

Aside from Lowry, that's pretty much the production we're getting from our bottom six. Yet some fans on here keep mentioning the bottom six as if it's producing way less than a typical bottom six produces.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
It is just wild that yinz are now noticing this team has looked unprepared for years and that the coach, in fact, bears some responsibility here.

Pattern recognition rules.

With how it came to light how the PP is *not* coached I'm thinking how the game prep is looking.

Probably doesn't view any game tape of opponents and certainly not of themselves. Sullivan likely enters the room 30 sec before it's time to hit the ice and go:

"Alright... Crosby, Malkin, Letang... You know what to do, do your thing...

Ok boys, let's have a good game tonight!" *leaves the room*

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I really don't understand our defensive (for lack of a better word) strategy. We habitually don't bother pressuring the opposition's D-men at our blue line and as a result of that they have all the time in the world to pick a spot with lots of traffic in front, to aim for a deflection or to freeze the goalie and then pass for an easy tap-in. We keep doing it even when our decimated defense needs all the help it can get.
Also, we habitually fall asleep and concede a goal right after conceding another. Even without these flaws we probably would have lost because it was men against boys but shooting yourself in the foot isn't optimal, you know.

Reactions: Andy99 and vodeni

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sullivan has been bad this year but so too has Hextall. It's Hextall who put together/maintained this bottom six that is struggling so badly this year, and Hextall who kept Dumoulin around despite his decline being obvious last year.

And it's Hextall who has sat here and watched this team continue to struggle while doing absolutely nothing about it. Boo hoo we're capped out and can't make a move. Guess whose fault that is? Maybe the guy who signed Kapanen to a 3m/year contract eating up any space we have to do anything?

Neither should get a free pass. Both deserve criticism.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
If I hear one more time from Sully that "we have to simplify our game" I'll go crazy. How much more simplified their game can be. Standing around, icing pucks, fliping f***ing pucks to no one. No genius you need to make it more complicated, like have some resemblance of a systematic attack, or defending through NZ or having forward pressing and not letting their dfense that live on our blue line distribute or shoot pucks, or having PP that is coached, that have guys pushing four defensman not letting them comfortably attacking Smith and Geno who are just standing there and flubbing passes...The only thing he seems to know is dump the puck, chase it down (which they can't) establish cycle (ha ha) turn back high to our dman for a shot from a blue line (they can't hold that blue line they are either inexperienced, or suck or scared), so yes simplify the game more...that will work...

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I honestly don't think some fans realize what kind of production is "normal" for a bottom six. Do people think all these top teams have third and fourth lines on pace for 30 goals each, along with Bergeron-like analytics?

Lowry - 23 points
Gagner - 14 points
Barron - 11 points
Maenalainen - 6 points

Aside from Lowry, that's pretty much the production we're getting from our bottom six. Yet some fans on here keep mentioning the bottom six as if it's producing way less than a typical bottom six produces.

I agree and in a salary cap world you don't get a great bottom 6 unless you go with 4 balanced lines with no stars in the top 2 lines and top pairing.

The issue is not the bottom 6 its the coaching and how the team is being used. No adjustments, no new scheme.

Not ready to throw shade at Hextall. First I don't think he has authority to fire the coach (even if he wants to) maybe he should be getting on Sullivan to make changes to his system. Secondly Hextall could bring anyone in you desire but once inserted in the lineup the player gets Sullied...Sully is the problem.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
That is a loss from a team not going anywhere.
Terrible hockey, wow... gross.
🤮

add:
#8 on the ice for back to back goals 2 and 3... impressive.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I believe we’re like 7 games over .500 when Rakell starts on L1 and 7 games below .500 when Rust starts on L1. Lol.

It’s unbelievable how stubborn this coach is. It’s like a mental disorder at this point.
Well... the penguins are 19-14 in regulation...
Throw away or not the 3-v-3 because that means nothing come post season time...

Reactions: BusinessGoose

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If I hear one more time from Sully that "we have to simplify our game" I'll go crazy. How much more simplified their game can be. Standing around, icing pucks, fliping f***ing pucks to no one. No genius you need to make it more complicated, like have some resemblance of a systematic attack, or defending through NZ or having forward pressing and not letting their dfense that live on our blue line distribute or shoot pucks, or having PP that is coached, that have guys pushing four defensman not letting them comfortably attacking Smith and Geno who are just standing there and flubbing passes...The only thing he seems to know is dump the puck, chase it down (which they can't) establish cycle (ha ha) turn back high to our dman for a shot from a blue line (they can't hold that blue line they are either inexperienced, or suck or scared), so yes simplify the game more...that will work...
Book a rubber room for monday morning...

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010

Lowry - 23 points
Gagner - 14 points
Barron - 11 points
Maenalainen - 6 points

so question on this. I mean it seems obvious that our bottom six is a problem. I'm too busy (er lazy) to go do the research but how do the other stats compare? like what zone they play in, chances for/against there's more then just points involved when statistically evaluating our bottom six.
Just seems eyeball test wise that earlier when we had archi and poeling out there that our forecheck was better and while they might not score a bunch they could get the puck out our zone and down in theirs which helps build momentum and lets the coach play them a little more so our aging top 6 aren't on the ice so much.
Now seems like certain line combos go on the ice you might as well just dump the puck in our end of the ice.

Just how bad would the score have been if DeSmith was in net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad