GDT: Pens Playoff Push: Hold on to your butts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Speaking of injuries we had a downright miraculous season where all our top players were far healthier than anyone could have expected given their age and the team's predilection to injury crises. And despite that they could even match their last season's record.

The main reason the Wings aren't at least five points ahead of us is Larkin missing 14 games. Not having problems of that kind is an incredibly luxury and they managed to throw it away.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
“Literally anything can happen,” Carter said. “I’ve lived it. That’s why you never quit. And we won’t. There are so many character guys in this room. Everybody counted us out except for the guys in this room.”
I am amazed that he managed to say that with a straight face, considering the loser mentality the team has exhibited for yeas now.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I am not conflicted at all. Win out. Get in if possible.

Sure, I have a better chance of winning the lottery than the Pens do of winning another Cup.

But that doesn't matter.

It is a cost free chance. The first round pick is gone. And giving up pick 17 rather than pick 13 or 14 is likely a meaningless difference. But still sounds more palatable to me.
Yeah, if we make it in, we roll those dice. We have a very remote puncher's chance to play a spoiler or a dark horse, so go with it.

But. If we don't make it in, heads better roll this offseason and this team needs to sort its shit out and decide once and for all what the next season is going to be.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I feel the complete opposite. They needed to make the playoffs or completely crater.

Making the playoffs meant Sid and Geno get to accumulate more points (bc this team ain't winning a playoff round)

Cratering might have meant Sully was on the hot seat

So now we get neither...
Yeah, this was the absolute worst outcome possible. No playoffs but a good enough surge at the end to justify management keeping Sullivan.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Yeah, if we make it in, we roll those dice. We have a very remote puncher's chance to play a spoiler or a dark horse, so go with it.

But. If we don't make it in, heads better roll this offseason and this team needs to sort its shit out and decide once and for all what the next season is going to be.
This is almost the best possible outcome for FSG without making the playoffs. Going down to the wire with hope. Keeps us glued to the screen, and showing up to the games. Keeps the profits flowing. May be a cynical stance on my part.

As for tonight....
There is a reasonable chance that Flyers will beat the Caps as they still have their playoffs hope alive.

The Habs had their chance last night.

Red Wings in 8 back-to-back this season.....
3 x won both
2 x lost both
2 x won 1st, lost 2nd
1 x lost 1st , won 2nd

So after winning the 1st, 3/5 chance to win, 2/5 chance to lose.
If you ignore 1st game outcome, 4/8 change to win, 4/8 chance to lose.

Considering also the games means nothing to the Habs, and everything to the Wings, it leans towards them winning tonight.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Am I correct in that if WASH and DET both get loser points today, and the pens win, the pens are in with the 32 RW?
Pens need to gain 1 point on both Detroit and Washington. They do that they are in. If either Detroit or Washington win tonight. Pens are cooked.

Also, Philly needs to win in regulation. An OT win will not help them. We could see a scenario where if the game is tied late, Philly may pull the goalie to try and score before the end of regulation. If regulation ends tied the Flyers are out before the start of OT.

Last edited:
Reactions: george14

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Speaking of injuries we had a downright miraculous season where all our top players were far healthier than anyone could have expected given their age and the team's predilection to injury crises. And despite that they could even match their last season's record.

The main reason the Wings aren't at least five points ahead of us is Larkin missing 14 games. Not having problems of that kind is an incredibly luxury and they managed to throw it away.

I know that. You know that. 99% of this board does too.

But that's how it'll be spun "Our #1 winger had to get traded in FA and our #2 Dman was out injured"
Poor us!

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
How’s attendance been at PPG????

Maybe next year if there’s an assload of empty seats, FSG will be forced to finally do something about Su-…

Awww who am I kidding? FSG are trash.

Reactions: BillPrep

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
How’s attendance been at PPG????

Maybe next year if there’s an assload of empty seats, FSG will be forced to finally do something about Su-…

Awww who am I kidding? FSG are trash.
I wonder how much FSG taking over the team has given Sully a new lease on life so to speak.

Like FSG probably doesn't care about the fact that Sully lost a bunch of series in round 1 on top of probably now missing it two years in a row because FSG didn't own the team when Sully was failing consistently in the playoffs.

They've had the Pens for what....three years? In that time Sully has lost in round 1 once and is gonna miss twice.

I'm sure they're not happy about missing out on playoff revenue two years in a row not but I don't know if the rage has built for them yet to want Sully gone, and in any case it's clear from what they did last year that they pinned more of that on Hextall anyways.

It's impossible for them to have the same hangups about Sullivan that we all do because they haven't been watching this for as long as we have.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Someone on LGP site said Pagnotta wrote about whispers that FSGwas looking to sell the Pens already…here’s the blurb..don’t know where/when it was published

There’s already talk of "a Sidney Crosby extension coming in July. The Pittsburgh Penguins aren’t going through a rebuild. Not yet. They’ll be active this summer trying to retool on the fly. I do wonder, though, if the mandate from current ownership to remain competitive has anything to do with whispers that Fenway Sports Group is gauging the market for the team. Hmm.”

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Someone on LGP site said Pagnotta wrote about whispers that FSGwas looking to sell the Pens already…here’s the blurb..don’t know where/when it was published

There’s already talk of "a Sidney Crosby extension coming in July. The Pittsburgh Penguins aren’t going through a rebuild. Not yet. They’ll be active this summer trying to retool on the fly. I do wonder, though, if the mandate from current ownership to remain competitive has anything to do with whispers that Fenway Sports Group is gauging the market for the team. Hmm.”

That was a long time ago. Also Pagnotta is an idiot.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania

I trust my cat regarding hockey rumors more than Pagnotta. Plus I think this was just Pagnotta spitballing more than actually potentially reporting.

Reactions: BillPrep and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That was a long time ago. Also Pagnotta is an idiot.
Hope he’s wrong because if they’re looking to sell, then they won’t be terminating Sullivan’s contract any time soon, even if they could be convinced that’s the right decision hockey-wise…fire Sullivan first and then if they want to sell, have it lol

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I don't think a bunch of hedge fund dipshits should own a beloved sports franchise, that's my hot take. I'll take a hot sausage and cheese to go, thanks,

Ding ding ding!!!! 1000% agree

Like I’ve said many times, it’s like they thought that buying the Penguins would just be an 100% guaranteed and foolproof easy license for them to essentially print money and become richer.

Meanwhile they are f***ing clueless about how running a hockey team actually works, and since success didn’t happen immediately like they figured it would, the “ohhh!!! Shiny new toy!!!” novelty has worn off and now they couldn’t give 2 shits…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad