Pens Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
Does anyone else think the Pens will take a North American?

The NHL's Player Transfer Agreement with the IIHF is expiring and Russia is said to not want to be part of a new one.

I want Malkin, but I can see CP going for Schremp or Barker because they will have an easier time getting them to Pittsburgh.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think so. Malkin and Ovechkin are the consensus top 2 selections in this draft, and they will go #1 and #2. If Pittsburgh feels as if they don't want to take the risk, they will simply trade down with one of the other 28 teams that would love to take a shot at a potential franchise player in Malkin. If a player with a concussion history is talked about going so high in the draft, his skill set has to be pretty amazing. Malkin goes #2, if Patrick decides to take him or not. He simply has to trade down if he doesn't want him.

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Riggs said:
Does anyone else think the Pens will take a North American?

The NHL's Player Transfer Agreement with the IIHF is expiring and Russia is said to not want to be part of a new one.

I want Malkin, but I can see CP going for Schremp or Barker because they will have an easier time getting them to Pittsburgh.

Taking a North American player isn't any less risky. What happens if a lockout drags on past this season? Major junior players have to be signed within 2 years.....how many teams will be able to afford a top pick's bonus money while not having any revenue coming in?

McMatty

Nov 9, 2002
North Bay ON
ej_penseditor said:
Taking a North American player isn't any less risky. What happens if a lockout drags on past this season? Major junior players have to be signed within 2 years.....how many teams will be able to afford a top pick's bonus money while not having any revenue coming in?
Well, if there is no CBA, then there are no rules stating that they have to sign these kids in two years.

I could be wrong here, but that's what I think. I think that unless the 2004 draftees are signed in the summer, then they won't be signing under the current CBA, rather, they will be waiting for CBA to be agreed upon, then signed.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
With the current financial situation, and the way they demoted Fleury before his big contractual pay day, I think the Pens would be pleased to take a kid they might not have to pay or play for a year or more.

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
H-Bear said:
Well, if there is no CBA, then there are no rules stating that they have to sign these kids in two years.

I could be wrong here, but that's what I think. I think that unless the 2004 draftees are signed in the summer, then they won't be signing under the current CBA, rather, they will be waiting for CBA to be agreed upon, then signed.

Generally, signing rules regarding draft picks are enforced according to when players are drafted, not when they are signed. Therefore, these players should be subject to the rules contained in this CBA, not a future CBA.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
Honestly, I don't think so. Malkin and Ovechkin are the consensus top 2 selections in this draft, and they will go #1 and #2. If Pittsburgh feels as if they don't want to take the risk, they will simply trade down with one of the other 28 teams that would love to take a shot at a potential franchise player in Malkin. If a player with a concussion history is talked about going so high in the draft, his skill set has to be pretty amazing. Malkin goes #2, if Patrick decides to take him or not. He simply has to trade down if he doesn't want him.

Maybe your consensus top 2, but not everyones! I think they will go NA, probably Schremp!

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
just to let you know, the Pens head scout Greg Malone said they havent ruled out actually trading down. take it as you will, just as long as you know its not a for sure thing.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think that this thread is more wishful thinking from teams just wishing Craig Patrick and company would be so stupid. I have seen a post on the Pen's boards making hay of McPhee saying (before he won the lottery) that he was not that impressed with Ovechkin . . .and in that thread the wishful thinking that they would pass on Ovechkin . . . neither is going to happen, Ovechkin will go number one, to the Caps, Malkin number two, and absent an offer that would make CP feint dead away will go to the Pens. Let the scrambling begin for who goes number 3.

X-SHARKIE

No team in there right mind would pass on the best player available at the #2 slot because there worried if he cant come over for the first year.

Now Malkin is NHL ready but his hay day well be 4 years from now and on. Draft is still about the long haul and Malkin well be taken #2 overall no matter what if the Penguins are sold on him witch I would believe they are.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
No team in there right mind would pass on the best player available at the #2 slot because there worried if he cant come over for the first year.

1 word: Jagr

Pens got him 5th, and he was the best player in the draft. no one knew if they could get him out, and the Pens were the first to take the chance. look what it did for them.

Steve Latin*

Dr. kØUkLØs said:
only??????
you must be kidding.
Klesla and a 1st won't do it in this draft.
Malkin is much much better then the #4 overall pick.

Huh? I'd take Klesla and the 4th overall in a heartbeat, and I think any GM in their right mind would too.

Klesla + Olesz/Shremp/Barker/Ladd/Thelen/Kyle Freaking Chipcura > Malkin.

Personally, I'd like to try to grab Gaborik for the pick straight up. Minnesota, however, isn't likely to do it.

Where are the Ducks picking? Chistov and their pick would look very nice.

S L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->